BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board    I'm uber bored...

09-14-2005, 07:17 PM   #1
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep
Drives: E60 M5 chilln on slicks

I'm uber bored...

anyone have an hobies? I've been collecting car brochures ever since I was little, most of the old ones I no longer have, but I have a grip of ultra hard to find and really nice ones, mostly all German cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2005, 07:20 PM   #2
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

I keep lots of car brochures as well since I am a marketing major and I love to critique them.

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2005, 07:27 PM   #3
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki
I keep lots of car brochures as well since I am a marketing major and I love to critique them.
LoL, i'm in the same boat. I'm a buisness/marketing major and I'd like to do graphics/advertising for a major car manufacture(ideally BMW, of course). I have a contact already in the buisness, and my creativity is endless, not to mention I understand both the buisness side and the consumer approach. To say the least I'm very in touch w/ how things work in product marketing. That's cool to know someone else shareas the same pastime/passion? LoL
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2005, 07:33 PM   #4
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I would love to get a job with an automotive company when I graduate, hopefully BMW one day!

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2005, 07:36 PM   #5
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I would love to get a job with an automotive company when I graduate, hopefully BMW one day!
Well, if you like there's a BMW career newsletter you can subscribe to on the BMW group site, under careers. It gives a lot of insight, and it's great for those like you and I intersted in pursuing a career in the auto industry.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2005, 09:11 PM   #6
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Things really kind of went down hill for me since I graduated college. I came back home to work for the family business, but all my best friends from high school and college are gone, so I really have nothing to do on weekends. I know what you mean by being super bored. And I've had such bad luck with the ladies lately, so I usually just sit back and watch movies or play old video/computer games at home by myself. Usually this forum is my primary source of social interaction

On a lighter note, though, I love to play piano and I'm really into marine/reef aquarium keeping. I have a great little 30 gal. reef tank that's starting to get really decent. I have one false percula clown, 3 cardnials, a strawberry pseudochromis, a skunk shrimp, an electric scallop, a hermet crab, a lawn mower blenny, a mandarian goby, and blue crocea clam, and various corals. It's a lot of work, but definitely worth it!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2005, 09:21 PM   #7
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90-4life
Well, if you like there's a BMW career newsletter you can subscribe to on the BMW group site, under careers. It gives a lot of insight, and it's great for those like you and I intersted in pursuing a career in the auto industry.
do you know where marketing jobs for bmw are located? are there several locations, or only one in the US?

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2005, 09:23 PM   #8
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp1183
I have a great little 30 gal. reef tank that's starting to get really decent. I have one false percula clown, 3 cardnials, a strawberry pseudochromis, a skunk shrimp, an electric scallop, a hermet crab, a lawn mower blenny, a mandarian goby, and blue crocea clam, and various corals. It's a lot of work, but definitely worth it!
Awesome!, I have a 29g reef tank with a Maroon Clown and a Pygmy Cherub Angel. There are a few pictures of them on my website: Here

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2005, 09:39 PM   #9
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Wow Nikki! Very impressive! We both have the same shrimp!!! I love that little guy!

I can only hope mine gets to be as nice as yours. From the shrimp pic, it looks like you have stuff on the live rock growing all on its own. I'm having a major problem with hair algae. I have a nice power compact light 10000k/6700k to help the corals, but this green disgusting algae completely covers the walls like every three days . Actually, that's the only thing I'm having trouble with. I have nitrate and phosphate absorbers in the media chamber of the protein skimmer and the levels are low, but this still happens, no matter what I do. :mad: How do you keep yours so nice? Any tips/hints you'd mind sharing?

I had a really nice small blue tang like yours, but it died two weeks after he was in the tank. I wanted to get another one, but I read they're supposed to have a minium of 100 gallons. Does yours do ok in 29 ga.?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2005, 09:51 PM   #10
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep

Quote:
do you know where marketing jobs for bmw are located? are there several locations, or only one in the US?
Most definately at the HQ in Woodcliff, NJ. Other than that I'm not very sure, I do know that some of the product adovocates make their way out here to Designworks, I did a job shadow there for one whole day back in Hs. Sometimes they have buildings and offices scattered throughout different places thorughout the country, and there are always new developments, like the new Designsworks studio in Singapore that just opened this year. I hope they open up something here in California other than the tech ctr., designworks, and the testing facilitiy, would be nice to stay home.

I could tell you where the marketing dept's. are for just about any automotive brand. If you wanna know, ask.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2005, 09:54 PM   #11
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp1183
Things really kind of went down hill for me since I graduated college. I came back home to work for the family business, but all my best friends from high school and college are gone, so I really have nothing to do on weekends. I know what you mean by being super bored. And I've had such bad luck with the ladies lately, so I usually just sit back and watch movies or play old video/computer games at home by myself. Usually this forum is my primary source of social interaction

On a lighter note, though, I love to play piano and I'm really into marine/reef aquarium keeping. I have a great little 30 gal. reef tank that's starting to get really decent. I have one false percula clown, 3 cardnials, a strawberry pseudochromis, a skunk shrimp, an electric scallop, a hermet crab, a lawn mower blenny, a mandarian goby, and blue crocea clam, and various corals. It's a lot of work, but definitely worth it!
I can feel you on the bit about the ladies, not that it's hurting or bothering me any, but my focus has shifted in a very big way towards other things, and I couldn't be happier...... my advice, find your passion and pursue it, full speed, and everything else... well, it'll come in it's time.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2005, 09:54 PM   #12
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

I had a blue tang in the 29g for about a month, but when I transferred her to a bigger tank (55g), she passed away.

Our local fish store suggests that we only have about 2-4 fish in a 29g tank and they all should be rated for 55g or less OR they should be smaller than 4-6". Here is a great website to read about and buy saltwater fish, corals, inverts, etc. http://www.marinedepotlive.com It gives lots of info on fish and says what size tank is ideal for them.

For algae, you should get lots of little hermit crabs and snails. We have at least 15 of each. We also have a sand sifting sea star (starfish) that eats the algae on the surface of the sand.

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2005, 09:56 PM   #13
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90-4life
I could tell you where the marketing dept's. are for just about any automotive brand. If you wanna know, ask.
Yes, please! NJ doesn't sound so great. I am from CT and I'm sick of the freezing winters. Are there any marketing divisions that are located in places that don't get below 50 degrees in the winter? haha

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2005, 10:21 PM   #14
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep

Quote:
Yes, please! NJ doesn't sound so great. I am from CT and I'm sick of the freezing winters. Are there any marketing divisions that are located in places that don't get below 50 degrees in the winter? haha
Hyundai - Torrance, CA
Toyota/Lexus - Torrance, CA
Honda/Acura - Torrance, CA
Volvo/Jaguar/Land Rover - Irvine, CA
Infiniti/Nissan - Cerritos or Torrance, CA
Mazda - Irvine, CA
VW's western regional marketing dept - L.A., CA
VW/Audi/Bentley - Auburn Hills, MI
Ferrari N.A. - Englewood Cliffs, NJ
GM/Chrysler - not sure, very complex network, but I want to say they're all in MI
Mercedes Benz - Montvale/Edison , NJ
Porsche - (I want to say Atl, might not be, but it's in GA. for sure) GA.

I don't know about you but I'll be taking German Spring semester to better understand the culture/language for further on down the road.

Any more q's, feel free to ask.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2005, 10:24 PM   #15
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

wow, that's awesome thanks
what do you guys think-have your dream job and live in NJ, or take a different job in CA?
Oh, and I'm planning on taking German soon too...I have taken French, Spanish, and Latin (currently only fluent in Spanish) and I am taking Italian this semester. I absolutely LOVE learning languages and plan to take at least one more...hopefully I will learn German and Japanese too.

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2005, 10:34 PM   #16
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep

Quote:
wow, that's awesome thanks
what do you guys think-have your dream job and live in NJ, or take a different job in CA?
Oh, and I'm planning on taking German soon too...I have taken French, Spanish, and Latin (currently only fluent in Spanish) and I am taking Italian this semester. I absolutely LOVE learning languages and plan to take at least one more...hopefully I will learn German and Japanese too.
I had a chat w/ someone who's very sucessful in the corporate world, and their advice to me was this... You may not start where you'd like to be, but sometimes you have to take something and make do to get to where you'd like to be further on down the road, oppurtunities. Of course that all depends on your attitude towards life and your work. Key thing is how you market yourself and how you can put the text from college together w/ work experience(helps a ton). Don't mean to get all philisophical and what not, but yeh....
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2005, 10:38 PM   #17
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

What do you think someone would need to get a decent entry marketing job? Let's say $50k..(and I don't mean $50k by Florida standards that is high)

I go to Florida Atlantic University and I should graduate with somewhere between a 3.3-3.6 GPA.

Is an MBA useful after I get my first job, or not needed?

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2005, 10:42 PM   #18
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep

Quote:
What do you think someone would need to get a decent entry marketing job? Let's say $50k..(and I don't mean $50k by Florida standards that is high)

I go to Florida Atlantic University and I should graduate with somewhere between a 3.3-3.6 GPA.

Is an MBA useful after I get my first job, or not needed?
A masters will only give you more oppurtunities, see if the company you're intersted in working for has a program/programs that will pay for your masters, nothing better than your job paying for your education and granting you further oppurtunities in the future. Like I said before, it all comes down to how well you can market yourself.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2005, 10:49 PM   #19
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

yeah, that'd be great. i'd love to live in ca but i don't think i'd ever be able to afford a house there. i could get a brand new 3/2 house in northern florida for under $200k with a 2 car garage and a 1/4 acre lot.

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2005, 10:57 PM   #20
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep

Quote:
yeah, that'd be great. i'd love to live in ca but i don't think i'd ever be able to afford a house there. i could get a brand new 3/2 house in northern florida for under $200k with a 2 car garage and a 1/4 acre lot.
Yeahhhh, it's expensive here, no doubt, but don't limit yourself! I would really like to stay here and I think I'm going to. My current employer will have a job on offer when I am done w/ school, and it is a very big possiblity that I could end up in the marketing/sales dept., we'll see what happens, but I have a real genuine interest in the manufacturing process, I've always been fascinated by how things are made.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2005, 11:00 PM   #21
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

where's a nice place to live around torrance, ca?
everywhere i looked was either very ghetto or over $400k.

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2005, 11:05 PM   #22
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep

Quote:
where's a nice place to live around torrance, ca?
everywhere i looked was either very ghetto or over $400k.
\

LoL, well if I were gonna do it, I'd look into Santa Monica. Grew up there as a kid, great place, where I was at least... There are tons of nice places here, just depends on where you'd like to be, I could tell you all the great places to live and what not, but you'd have to see for yourself. Keep in mind that there are many outside agencies that have auto manufactures as clients(i.e. Graphic design firms, many of them design sales literature, adds, websites, etc.)
Appreciate 0