E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Injector part number? - help me diagnose a problem

10-14-2010, 11:26 PM   #1
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

Injector part number? - help me diagnose a problem

Im trying to find the injector part number for my car (2008 335xi).

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...82&hg=13&fg=15

real oem says the part number is:

but on tischers site it doesn't specifically list my car:
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...&siteid=214672

it lists 135...535... etc... can someone confirm this is the correct part for my car?

when people talk about misfire at idle and mention replacing the injector(s) this is what they're talking about correct?

also, does a dealer have to install this since it needs to be "coded"?

----

ok so here's the scoop... let me know if you guys think it's a bad injector:

I'm having misfiring/very rough idle during cold starts. Getting misfire code for cyl 1,2,3. Went in and the spark plug for cylinder 1 was GROSS but cyl 2 and 3 were just as clean and perfect as cyl 4,5,6 which were not misfiring. Thought it was the coil, so i swapped that cyl 1 coil to cyl 4 to see if the problem followed but it didn't... restarted the car and cyl 1 was misfiring. I swapped in all new plugs last night, but that didn't fix the problem... this morning cold start misfiring

It's gotta be the injector for cyl 1 right?

Last edited by jpsimon; 10-15-2010 at 08:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 12:05 AM   #2
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

dealer does have to code them...every injector has a number on it that they have to enter and save into the dme so that injection works properly...changing the coils too?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 08:45 AM   #3
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

ok so here's the scoop... let me know if you guys think it's a bad injector:

I'm having misfiring/very rough idle during cold starts. Getting misfire code for cyl 1,2,3. Went in and the spark plug for cylinder 1 was GROSS but cyl 2 and 3 were just as clean and perfect as cyl 4,5,6 which were not misfiring. Thought it was the coil, so i swapped that cyl 1 coil to cyl 4 to see if the problem followed but it didn't... restarted the car and cyl 1 was misfiring. I swapped in all new plugs last night, but that didn't fix the problem... this morning cold start misfiring

It's gotta be the injector for cyl 1 right?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 09:02 AM   #4
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
logically speaking, your next trouble shooting step would be to replace the injector. you've already done plugs and coil swaps
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 09:06 AM   #5
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Yep, sounds like and injector but you should really replace all three in that bank. And yes, the dealer will need to code them. BT will have this ability in the future but currently not available for the petrol engines.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 09:07 AM   #6
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
Yep, sounds like and injector but you should really replace all three in that bank. And yes, the dealer will need to code them. BT will have this ability in the future but currently not available for the petrol engines.
Why is it a good idea to replace all 3 in the bank? I will if you guys think that's best, but just curious why
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 09:09 AM   #7
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Its definitely your cyl 1 injector...what happens is as the car sits turned off for longer periods of time (as in over night for example) some fuel "leaks" through the bad injector into the cylinder...when you start your car after that in your case cyl 1 will be too rich to start out and it'll misfire if you turned your car off RIGHT away after that you'd see only a cyl 1 misfire if you scanned for codes...most of the time ppl leave it running for a bit after it starts misfiring and in this case what happens is the other two cylinders in the same bank, bank 1 in your case, will also misfire as the DME will lean them out...then you'll get misfires cyl 1,2 and 3 masking the issue ask me how I know...remember my head gasket problem way back when?

Anyway, its your cyl 1 injector for sure but changing that cylinder's plug and coil as well is a BMW "recommended" service procedure...if it were me I'd do the cyl 1 injector and the plug at the minimum...
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 09:13 AM   #8
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

I literally installed all new plugs last night, do I need to really replace that cyl 1 plug again?

also you hit the nail on the head... when I swapped the coil and started the car that one time... i turned it off pretty quick and only had the cyl 1 misfire... when i left it running for longer the other cylinders started misfiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
Its definitely your cyl 1 injector...what happens is as the car sits turned off for longer periods of time (as in over night for example) some fuel "leaks" through the bad injector into the cylinder...when you start your car after that in your case cyl 1 will be too rich to start out and it'll misfire if you turned your car off RIGHT away after that you'd see only a cyl 1 misfire if you scanned for codes...most of the time ppl leave it running for a bit after it starts misfiring and in this case what happens is the other two cylinders in the same bank, bank 1 in your case, will also misfire as the DME will lean them out...then you'll get misfires cyl 1,2 and 3 masking the issue ask me how I know...remember my head gasket problem way back when?

Anyway, its your cyl 1 injector for sure but changing that cylinder's plug and coil as well is a BMW "recommended" service procedure...if it were me I'd do the cyl 1 injector and the plug at the minimum...
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 09:19 AM   #9
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
Why is it a good idea to replace all 3 in the bank? I will if you guys think that's best, but just curious why
They redesigned them and for whatever reason the you are supposed to replace all three in a bank at a time. The dealer may require this. Once we can code our own injectors, it would be interesting to see if we can get away with a single swap.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 09:19 AM   #10
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

I'm getting good at this what can I say

Plug gets fouled due to that extra fuel...I'd replace it just to be on the safe side especially with your turbos
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 09:20 AM   #11
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm getting good at this what can I say

Plug gets fouled due to that extra fuel...I'd replace it just to be on the safe side especially with your turbos
aw man, i just bought those one-step colder plugs.. looks like i'll have to get one more to bring to the dealer heh
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 09:41 AM   #12
DefactoM6
Sees the world the way it could be
United_States
Rep
Drives: '88 M6, '02 Z8, '09 E92 335i

You literally just installed them yesterday. You are probably fine with the 6 fresh plugs. But yeah that has bad injector written all over it...
      10-15-2010, 09:51 AM   #13
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

It really sucks that you have to bring it into the dealer to code the injectors. I hope soon there will be a way to code them ourselves
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 10:51 AM   #14
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

how much do dealers generally charge for injector(s) install? not for the parts, just for the time spent
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 10:52 AM   #15
scalbert
Major General
Rep

I would guess at a few hours.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 11:35 AM   #16
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:

Yes and know to that. When a DI injector fails, most of the time the spray pattern has a divergence which will spray fuel directly at the plug preventing the spark and quickly eroding the plug.
      10-15-2010, 12:38 PM   #17
blisstik
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92

Does it really have to be encoded at a dealer? Can't like a GIAC or any of the flash tuners do the same thing as they have the ability to get in the ECU? Might want to check your local tuners so you don't pay up the ass.

@JP: how many miles do you have now?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 12:51 PM   #18
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisstik View Post
Does it really have to be encoded at a dealer? Can't like a GIAC or any of the flash tuners do the same thing as they have the ability to get in the ECU? Might want to check your local tuners so you don't pay up the ass.

@JP: how many miles do you have now?
Yes, only the dealer for the mean time.
      10-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #19
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisstik View Post
Does it really have to be encoded at a dealer? Can't like a GIAC or any of the flash tuners do the same thing as they have the ability to get in the ECU?
Not even the GT1 can code injectors which is why it has been a delear only issue. There are two parts to this. BT has cracked it but hasn't added in this feature yet for petrol engines. Appearently the values are coded and what is sent to the DME isn't what is written on the injector. It has to be translated and then written to the DME.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 01:05 PM   #20
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Seems like we need one of the secret decoder rings out of a Captain Crunch cereal box!

Last edited by David1; 10-15-2010 at 01:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 01:15 PM   #21
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
Not even the GT1 can code injectors which is why it has been a delear only issue. There are two parts to this. BT has cracked it but hasn't added in this feature yet for petrol engines. Appearently the values are coded and what is sent to the DME isn't what is written on the injector. It has to be translated and then written to the DME.
True!

Just to clarify, the reason why the injectors have to be coded into the DME is because they are what BMW considers precision instruments. Basically, the injectors have a piezo-electric component inside of them. Piezo-electric elements have different tolerances. So basically, due to manufacturing, each injector will have different tolerances in the piezo-electric component inside it. When the injector comes off the assembly line, it is put through various tests to make sure its working fine. Some of these tests determine those exact tolerances I am talking about. Then these tolerances which are different for each injector, get recorded onto the plastic of the injector.

When an injector needs to be replaced, the DME must be told that those tolerances are. Otherwise, the DME will simply use the previously known values of the previous injector and its own tolerances and the new injector won't work as expected.

Unfortunately, the DME is not capable of determining those injector tolerances on its own. So a trip to the dealer is necessary to recode the injectors.

I am really hoping BavTech tool will offer this soon.
      10-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #22
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

thanks for the info guys!

blisstik - i have roughly 49k miles
Appreciate 0