E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > SES light after getting new tires at Discount Tire... WTF!

10-03-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
jcamber
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

SES light after getting new tires at Discount Tire... WTF!

So I took my car to Discount tire yesterday to replace my aging run-flats (had 33k miles on them) and just as I pick up the car, and turn the car on, the service engine soon light comes on in yellow and when I give it some gas, I hear a low tone from almost below the stick shift. It sounds almost as if the exhaust had a hole or something. I got out of the car, looked under and can't see anything. I brought the manager out with me and upon calling his worker the dude proceeds to say the light was already ON when I brought the car in... BULL!

So needless to say, I told them I would be taking the car to BMW and if they in any way say the issue is due to a messed up the exhaust by say, jacking the car in the wrong spot, they WILL pay for it.

Any of you had this happened by chance?

my car is an '06 E90 w/sport, AT... it's got new tires!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
WWONG
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d

About two months ago, my sister's Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD went to Discount Tires to get 4 new tires... the day after, the starter went out. The starter on that car is right by the driver's side wheel well. I found that strange since my dad's '97 Grand Cherokee is an American car, has 50,000 more miles, and has never required a starter change when the 4Runner did. Needless to say, regardless whether that was a coincidence or not, Discount Tires is never getting my business again.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #3
PoorMan
Hello my name is...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 6MT

Don't any of you guys watch them doing the work?

I have a longtime guy I go to at DT and I still watch em do the work. Hell if you have an appointment tire installs takes no time at all. Minor service, tires or mod installs etc.. It's a golden rule. Don't be one of those tv watching, magazine reading, coffee drinking waiting room lurkers..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
ForTheD
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i 6MT (ZSP)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMan View Post

I have a longtime guy I go to at DT and I still watch em do the work. Hell if you have an appointment tire installs takes no time at all. Minor service, tires or mod installs etc.. It's a golden rule. Don't be one of those tv watching, magazine reading, coffee drinking waiting room lurkers..
Same here, Discount (America's) Tire is the only place I go. I am up to 8 sets of tires, across a few types different cars from them now. I'm also watching from the moment then pull my car in, to when they pull out. I even pull the car out some times.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 12:44 PM   #5
jeremicium
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i

Garage List
I've been a DT customer for 15 years. Never had any problems...though on the west coast i'd chose Les Scwab over DT.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #6
gos
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

I'm sure it was a coincidence.

Not sure how you'd jack that car up by the wrong spot and mess up the exhaust, you'd really have to be trying to do that.
      10-03-2010, 12:56 PM   #7
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

my rear tires on the 335i wears 2X faster than the front. DO what I do. Jack the rear end of the car yourself. Dismount the rear tires and take it into the shop> C ome back home and mount it on yourself.

yes it is more tedious this way but the job is always done right and nobody molests your car
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 01:10 PM   #8
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Some lifts are not made for 3. My friend has garage with lift and we couldnt properly lift the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 02:06 PM   #9
J02 335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

It would be almost impossible to lift or jack the car up near the exhaust. The exhaust runs right down the middle of the car. I'm interested to see the outcome of this.

Sport pack, JB3, Dci, factory oil cooler, 18" M3 reps, Michelin PSS, painted trim, black grills, smoked side markers, LED plate lights, H&R coils, Borla catback
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 02:09 PM   #10
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i 6AT non-sport

Quote:

I am a long time DT customer too, need to watch them work. They are under a lot of pressure need to turn around fast. It is not unusual for the torque wrench to skip a bolt, missing a valve stem cap, or even forgetting to put the wheel center cap back in.

As far as "mod installs" you mentioned. I am thinking about adding wheel spacers, talked to a DT guy, he said they would not work on wheels with spacers on. Do you guys know if this is true?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 02:47 PM   #11
ForTheD
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i 6MT (ZSP)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
[QUOTE=dtc100;8100209
As far as "mod installs" you mentioned. I am thinking about adding wheel spacers, talked to a DT guy, he said they would not work on wheels with spacers on. Do you guys know if this is true?[/QUOTE]

They don't want to mess with them because they don't want to be liable if something happens because if the spacers.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 02:51 PM   #12
J02 335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
I am a long time DT customer too, need to watch them work. They are under a lot of pressure need to turn around fast. It is not unusual for the torque wrench to skip a bolt, missing a valve stem cap, or even forgetting to put the wheel center cap back in.

As far as "mod installs" you mentioned. I am thinking about adding wheel spacers, talked to a DT guy, he said they would not work on wheels with spacers on. Do you guys know if this is true?
All this and you are "a long time DT customer too"??? Really???

Sport pack, JB3, Dci, factory oil cooler, 18" M3 reps, Michelin PSS, painted trim, black grills, smoked side markers, LED plate lights, H&R coils, Borla catback
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 03:10 PM   #13
merlinfe
My other ride has 18,400 SHP. I.B.N.F.E 8251
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MineralGrauMetallic 328d

Yeah I second the spacer thing. I have 20mm spacers on the rear and 15mm up front. I recently had bought new tires from them and had the install done there.

They said they would be more than happy to take the spacers off the car but couldn't reinstall them. When I pressed they said it was because I probably used the same wheel studs to reinstall the wheels and that they would break. I told them that I had longer wheel studs (bolts) and that it wouldn't be a problem. The manager put his hands in the air and said "sorry its not my policy, its corporate."

So I went home changed clothes and took the damn spacers off, put in the stock wheel studs in and went back. 45 mins later my car had new tires on, another 1/2 hour and my spacers were back on.

Litigation has this country afraid of its own shadow.

OP good luck with your case. Often when you drive the car away from any service center they can claim no fault from there on out. I really hope things go your way.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 04:25 PM   #14
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:

That's a good point. Even BMW techs only abuse cars that are left all day. If it's a wait, the chances of the proverbial joyride is far less. But the lying really takes the cake--the SES was already on when the car came in. In that case, you notify the customer as soon as you pull the vehicle in, so there's no question later.

I just imagine these idiots conducting DOT drug testing. As if there's no chain of command.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 05:36 PM   #15
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J02 335i View Post
All this and you are "a long time DT customer too"??? Really???
You know why? If you watch them work, you will realize all of them forget things. The only way to make sure is watch them yourself. Else you are taking the car home without knowing what was missing, most time it will be just fine though.

Sometimes see no evil works just fine in life
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 05:38 PM   #16
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinfe View Post
Yeah I second the spacer thing. I have 20mm spacers on the rear and 15mm up front. I recently had bought new tires from them and had the install done there.

They said they would be more than happy to take the spacers off the car but couldn't reinstall them. When I pressed they said it was because I probably used the same wheel studs to reinstall the wheels and that they would break. I told them that I had longer wheel studs (bolts) and that it wouldn't be a problem. The manager put his hands in the air and said "sorry its not my policy, its corporate."

So I went home changed clothes and took the damn spacers off, put in the stock wheel studs in and went back. 45 mins later my car had new tires on, another 1/2 hour and my spacers were back on.

Litigation has this country afraid of its own shadow.

OP good luck with your case. Often when you drive the car away from any service center they can claim no fault from there on out. I really hope things go your way.
Thanks for the heads up. I will just remove the spacers then put them on later.

BTW, did you do the measurement to determine the spacers? I measured mine with the masking tape method, there is no room for spacers in the front (less than 8mm), about 15mm in the rear.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 07:17 PM   #17
jcamber
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J02 335i View Post
It would be almost impossible to lift or jack the car up near the exhaust. The exhaust runs right down the middle of the car. I'm interested to see the outcome of this.
I'm no expert but towards the front-right, there is a section that curves to the right. That's about the only place I think they could have slipped the jack and "pushed" the pipe up enough to do some damage. I'm also barely out of warranty so this should be interesting.

BTW, I drove the car today and I can feel it work at reduced power. I'll let you all know what BMW said.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 12:44 PM   #18
jcamber
Private
United_States
Rep

So this morning I took it to a shop that specializes in BMW with the hopes of finding out what is wrong. Their scanner gave 3 codes:

2CFB - Throttle valve adaptation value
2D09 - Butterfly valve
2CFD - Throttle valve adaptation value missing

Apparently something to do with the throttle body and the mechanism not functioning property. Funny though, the shop manager was trying a couple things and in minutes the low-tone I heard before went away and as well the notification on the dashboard with the symbol on it (now I only have the Service Engine Soon text up at the top of the dash).

He said I should take it to BMW because he had never fixed that before and was leery about applying a software update that might cause trouble. He also explained there may be a mechanical failure where the throttle valve is getting "stuck" and that's why we could hear that noise at low RPMs... I still have the appt with BMW tomorrow, we'll see what they say (probably that I need to pay up regardless!)

this guy charged me $28 for scanning and while I was at it I had the cabin air filter. Total bill $93... not bad huh?

oh and he confirmed this was 100% coincidence that happened when I had my tires replaced. Definitely not something that could have been caused by Discount Tire.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 09:16 AM   #19
jcamber
Private
United_States
Rep

All 3 error codes clear themselves this morning so I cancelled my appointment with BMW. Love my self-correcting car!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 09:22 AM   #20
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Did DT accept your apology for jumping down their throats?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 08:25 AM   #21
jcamber
Private
United_States
Rep

Well see, your problem is assuming that I jumped down their throats. You can rise a concern without being condescendent or rude. At least I can.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 08:54 AM   #22
michael1284
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp

yay to overreacting!