E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Official PROcede methanol progressive map switching/autotuning enhancement request!

09-24-2010, 08:54 AM   #1
alextremo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Lightbulb Official PROcede methanol progressive map switching/autotuning enhancement request!

If possible, I’d like to request that Map3 be programmed to autotune Map1 when there is no meth flow and autotune Map2 when there is full meth flow.

The benefit of doing this would be that you would be able to take advantage of autotuning when you’re in Map3 for scenarios when meth is flowing, AND when it is not, without losing any autotuned settings. Using meth would then be controlled only by switching on/off your meth hardware.

The introduction of Map3 was a great improvement, removing the need to go into the user software and change the injection % to turn on/off meth mapswitching, but it didn’t address the issues of losing the autotuned settings when switching between running with meth and without.

Today I drive 50% of the time with my meth hardware turned off and probably 90% of the time below the boost threshold that activates meth flow. To take advantage of autotune for this period of time I need to switch to Map1, which erases my Map2 autotuned meth settings. To use meth I need to switch back to Map3 which erases my Map1 settings and I am starting over autotuning Map2 w/meth.

Shiv/Vishnu – is this possible?
Others – is this something that makes sense/you would value?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 09:15 AM   #2
jblackwell
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335

It would almost be nice to have the Procede be toggled by the same switch you use to turn on the meth system. Thus the Procede would be in the correct meth map that was "autotuned earlier" once you hit the gas and meth starts flowing. I know what you are saying, but I don't struggle with it as much. Currently I stay in the meth map and just don't hit WOT unless I have the meth on. To each their own I guess.
      09-24-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
alextremo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblackwell View Post
It would almost be nice to have the Procede be toggled by the same switch you use to turn on the meth system. Thus the Procede would be in the correct meth map that was "autotuned earlier" once you hit the gas and meth starts flowing. I know what you are saying, but I don't struggle with it as much. Currently I stay in the meth map and just don't hit WOT unless I have the meth on. To each their own I guess.
This is what I'm looking for - maybe I didn't explain it correctly. The part I don't like is losing the autotuned settings when switching from using meth to not.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 10:40 AM   #4
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextremo View Post
This is what I'm looking for - maybe I didn't explain it correctly. The part I don't like is losing the autotuned settings when switching from using meth to not.
Right now if you have meth injection more than 0 then when procede senses flow it will do progressive mapping, but if the meth kit is turned off and your still on map 2 it will still autotune map 1 for you...So anyone that has meth using map 3, you never lose your autotune for map 1
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 11:01 AM   #5
alextremo
Captain
United_States
Rep

I'm pretty sure you do lose the Map1 autotuned settings. At least that's what my logs show.

If I'm on Map1 I autotune up to ~15psi and near 0IC. When I switch to Map3 I can see in the logs that Debug Byte 2 and 5 are my default values for Map1 (13.5UT and 50IC) when not flowing meth rather than my autotuned values.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 11:06 AM   #6
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextremo View Post
I'm pretty sure you do lose the Map1 autotuned settings. At least that's what my logs show.

If I'm on Map1 I autotune up to ~15psi and near 0IC. When I switch to Map3 I can see in the logs that Debug Byte 2 and 5 are my default values for Map1 (13.5UT and 50IC) when not flowing meth rather than my autotuned values.
I dont understand why you would need to change maps from map3. If there is no flow of meth you are on map 1 settings. Only if only when meth flow you are in progressive mode, Other than that its map 1 with autotuning working. But yeah if you switch maps then u lose the settings but why in the world would you need to switch maps when your on map 3.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 11:21 AM   #7
alextremo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Here's the answer from Shiv when the map3 functionality was released. You need to switch to Map1 to take advantage of autotune when not using meth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextremo
This is great!! Just to confirm - when you're in map 3 only map 2 will autotune, and only when meth is flowing.

Correct.

Quote:
When you switch to map 1 only map 1 will autotune

Correct.

Quote:
and when you go back to map 3 it will toggle between the autotuned map 1 and the autotuned map 2 based on meth flow?

Nope. It will morph between map1 settings (non autotuned) and map2 based upon meth flow. And map2 will autotune when meth is flowing.

Quote:
Is there a way to reset the learning (like what happened previously when you changed maps)?

Changing between maps will reset learning. Just like usual.

shiv
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 11:28 AM   #8
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Then i am confused then because I always thought map 1 is always autotuned with meth turned on and using map 3. Shiv needs to clarify this.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #9
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

progressive meth doesn't autotune up or down while meth is spraying, i set my boost target and it hits it. aggression is at 1.2.
      09-24-2010, 12:06 PM   #10
alextremo
Captain
United_States
Rep

^ it does autotune, but you are likely seeing conditions good enough to hit your max UT setting (unless that was your point)

Here's the post: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...&highlight=map
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 12:23 PM   #11
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
The problem with autotuning map1 when in progressive methanol mode is that the Procede would need to make the asssumption that there is ABSOLUTELY no methanol flow when the meth flow electronics provide a 0v output. And I'm not sure that is a reasonable assumption to make as there is always some type of transport delay between actual flow and measured flow. I really don't want to have the situation where the Procede is autotuning map1 for those .5-1 seconds after WOT and before meth flow is read. Only to find out that the final autotuned map1 tune is too aggressive when meth is actually turned off. Plus, the idea of progressive meth mapping is to make map1 slightly more conservative than usual so that there is no knock retard at all before the switch to map2.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 12:41 PM   #12
alextremo
Captain
United_States
Rep

That makes sense Shiv. If you find a way around this (like a 1 second delay in autotuning Map1 when you're in Map3 at WOT) it would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0