E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > weird "fluttering" from engine

09-22-2010, 11:35 AM   #1
brocken
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3MC

weird "fluttering" from engine

This is a new one to add to the list of crap wrong with my car. I've been having the long start/bogging/surging/limp mode issues for the last year and a half.

The last couple days I've also started experience what I can only describe as a fluttering from the engine. This has happened twice and only at low speeds. The car doesn't accellerate under throttle and a fluttering/stutter comes from the engine (also heard through the exhaust).
I know I need to take it to the dealer when i have time but have a feeling they'll be clueless if they can't replicate the problem...
Anybody have an idea what this could be?

My only guess is it's something related to the turbos. Maybe wastegates not operating properly?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 03:33 PM   #2
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Some people may not have heard of this, but it may be the HPFP. Search the forum and if you are lucky you may find a thread or two.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 05:07 PM   #3
brocken
Captain
Rep

Seriously? I'm very familiar with the HPFP problem.

I find it hard to believe that noise coming through the exhaust could be from the pump...

I guess I could try explaining it better. It's not the flutter I get from the bogging/surging related to the pump/software problems I'm having. This is like a wing beating or helicopter rotor sound coming from the engine and exhaust. Like a stuttering turbo.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 07:34 PM   #4
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Could be a misfire but you'd get a warning light. Or it could be a bad wastegate or diverter valve.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
brocken
Captain
Rep

Thanks!
That's what it sounded/felt like to me. I had a spring sticking in my DV on my old GTi and it made the same sort of noise.

It happened twice last week but not this week... it's hard to figure out the problem when it happens randomly.
Even crappier still is the techs won't have any idea unless they can duplicate.
Appreciate 0