ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-09-2010, 03:48 PM   #1
lstratos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

Brake bushing kit..

Bavauto has this Brake Caliper Bushing Upgrade Kit, CBUK for 59.95..
anyone ever used this before ?

http://www.bavauto.com/lview.asp?img...ib500/CBUK.jpg
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
jmillet
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 6 SEL AWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstratos View Post
Bavauto has this Brake Caliper Bushing Upgrade Kit, CBUK for 59.95..
anyone ever used this before ?

http://www.bavauto.com/lview.asp?img...ib500/CBUK.jpg
Should be called a brake caliper bushing DOWN-GRADE kit. Not appropriate for a daily driver Bimmer unless you are willing to disassemble, clean, and lubricate these bushings frequently.
OK for a track/racing application where you are changing brake pads frequently.

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
lstratos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

OMG, I google around.. the amount of lubrication you need like every 2-3 month will drive you crazy.. how can they even sell this.. haha..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 08:15 AM   #4
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstratos View Post
OMG, I google around.. the amount of lubrication you need like every 2-3 month will drive you crazy.. how can they even sell this.. haha..
Well... for a street driven car, you're totally right. This part is silly and would probably lead to more harm than good. But on a car that sees lots of track time throughout the season, it isn't more than a extra 15 second step to clean and lubricate these when replacing brake pads which, at least in my personal experience, is very frequent. I change pads every time I go on track. That said, though, I don't have these on my car either. I've thought about it because these rubber bushings are an annoying weak point but felt the benefit really wasn't worth the expense or worry.
      09-11-2010, 11:56 AM   #5
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCz04Bimmer View Post
Well... for a street driven car, you're totally right. This part is silly and would probably lead to more harm than good. But on a car that sees lots of track time throughout the season, it isn't more than a extra 15 second step to clean and lubricate these when replacing brake pads which, at least in my personal experience, is very frequent. I change pads every time I go on track. That said, though, I don't have these on my car either. I've thought about it because these rubber bushings are an annoying weak point but felt the benefit really wasn't worth the expense or worry.
At the point where you would be willing to put these in knowing how much they have to be cleaned and what little benefit they give you should have a BBK.
      09-11-2010, 03:17 PM   #6
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
At the point where you would be willing to put these in knowing how much they have to be cleaned and what little benefit they give you should have a BBK.
Agreed. But a BBK is just a bit more expensive...

(Just stating that a person who hits the track as often as I do and does a pad swap every time could probably get away with running these in season. If the car sees any amount of driving when there is salt on the road or if pad swaps aren't a bi-weekly ritual, I'd strongly advise against)
      09-11-2010, 07:13 PM   #7
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCz04Bimmer View Post
Agreed. But a BBK is just a bit more expensive...

(Just stating that a person who hits the track as often as I do and does a pad swap every time could probably get away with running these in season. If the car sees any amount of driving when there is salt on the road or if pad swaps aren't a bi-weekly ritual, I'd strongly advise against)
I know but by that point the price would be so amazingly justified and people with this car who do tracks days CAN afford it.
      09-12-2010, 10:58 AM   #8
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
I know but by that point the price would be so amazingly justified and people with this car who do tracks days CAN afford it.
Er... I've done over 30 days in this car over the past two seasons and I can't afford a BBK.
      09-12-2010, 08:25 PM   #9
R32
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

the main reason to do these is brake pedal feel. a secondary motivation is if you have uneven pad wear. if you are happy with pedal feel, why do it? if you really like a rock-hard pedal this is a cheap and effective way to see a difference.

yes, cleaning and lubing is necessary, but every 3 months is a little much, even if it's just a street driver. once or twice a year should be sufficient.

as has been mentioned, it is super quick to clean and relube when swapping pads.
Appreciate 0