E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > E92 335i cold start problem.

01-13-2007, 09:06 AM   #1
bilworth
No street racing!
Rep
Drives: E90 M-3 JzBlack

E92 335i cold start problem.

Greetings from Colorado (hence the problem),

I know there has been some banter regarding cold start/running issues. However, I didn't find a post that seemed to describe my car's behavior. So, I don't know if I have a unique problem or not. Just in case there are others with the same symptoms, here they are:
1. I use Shell V-Power exclusively. I have 600 miles on the car.
2 When I start the engine in the morning, it misfires on one cylindar for about a minute and then smooths out.
3. I get an orange check engine symbol with the "ding" right after start it smooths out.
4. That symbol will clear itself after warmup and restart.
5. I took the car to the dealer and they told me #4 was misfiring on startup.
6. The tech contacted BMW and was told to replace the injectors and spark plugs (all six).
The parts had to be ordered and have arrived (4 days). I have an appointment for Monday to have the work done. Will advise regarding results.

Happy motoring,

Bill in Cold Town Colorado (six below this morning).:rocks:
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2007, 05:59 PM   #2
bilworth
No street racing!
Rep
Drives: E90 M-3 JzBlack

Update:

The new injectors and plugs seems to have fixed the problem. A cold start now is smooth and no warning lights.....so far.

Hope this helps someone else.

Bill
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2007, 07:10 PM   #3
raceyBMW
king of the hills
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 w/ESS55, 2001 540i/6

Garage List
2001 BMW 540i/6  [8.17]
1994 530i  [9.00]
2007 335i Coupe  [8.37]
Another fellow Colorado member. I pick my 335i Coupe in less than two weeks, can't wait! I still have not seen a new coupe on the road yet.

I am curious to see if this cold start hesitation is a problem for me as well. I have heard others saying they have hesitation on a cold start as well.

Contgrats on the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2007, 07:18 PM   #4
Deveray
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 535i X-Drive Touring

Yes, my car has a very slight roughness to it on cold start for the first minute at light throttle but it is not a real problem, disappears when stepping on the gas and I've never had a warning light.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2007, 02:21 AM   #5
DrM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Montego Blue E90

Not unique to cold weather

Hi guys,

I just wanted to let you know that this problem is apparently not unique to cold weather. I have noticed this same thing here in Hawaii even though it is 75-80 degrees each day.

My car is about 2 months old and I have about 500 miles on it. As I am leaving the garage, I notice that it stumbles quite a bit for about the first 2-3 minutes. I haven't yet had the car die because of this, but it is clearly noticeable.

Fortunately, it usually takes a few minutes to get out of the garage (several floors down). After the first 2-3 minutes, the car is smooth as silk. I have just chalked it up as normal behavior for the car since it smooths out as soon as it reaches operating temperatures.

I think that I read that the car deliberately runs differently upon startup in order to heat the cats. Perhaps this is the reason.

Good luck all!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2007, 07:54 AM   #6
Move.Over
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrM
Hi guys,

I just wanted to let you know that this problem is apparently not unique to cold weather. I have noticed this same thing here in Hawaii even though it is 75-80 degrees each day.

My car is about 2 months old and I have about 500 miles on it. As I am leaving the garage, I notice that it stumbles quite a bit for about the first 2-3 minutes. I haven't yet had the car die because of this, but it is clearly noticeable.

Fortunately, it usually takes a few minutes to get out of the garage (several floors down). After the first 2-3 minutes, the car is smooth as silk. I have just chalked it up as normal behavior for the car since it smooths out as soon as it reaches operating temperatures.

I think that I read that the car deliberately runs differently upon startup in order to heat the cats. Perhaps this is the reason.

Good luck all!
If your car build was prior to Sept 15 check this TSB

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B124606g.htm
      01-19-2007, 08:57 PM   #7
Deveray
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 535i X-Drive Touring

Thanks, if I get bothered by it too much I will go back to the dealer for this update.
Appreciate 0