E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Anyone run Eibach Pro springs on stock ZSP shocks?

08-24-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
coh4777
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Coupe

Anyone run Eibach Pro springs on stock ZSP shocks?

OK long post below but would appreciate input...

So I want to get feedback from forum members who have installed Eibach Pro springs on their e92's and left the rest of their suspension with stock ZSP. I am thinking of upgrading from my stock 18" wheels to 19" (probably VMR 710s or AG m310s), and I want to change my suspension setup as well.

What I am looking for is to drop my ride height in the front by about an inch or maybe a little bit more. Rear ride height is fine as is, but if it goes down by a little bit I wouldn't mind that. I do NOT track my car or drive it super hard, so perfromance is not that important to me, and I am willing to live with a slightly harsher ride if necessary. I really just want a more aggressive stance, but not looking for the slammed look.

So I have been researching all my options for weeks now and at first I was dead set on KW v1's because it looks like the perfect ride height to me and because I was worried about blowing out my stock shocks if I only installed lowering springs. I was also considering the BMW performance suspension kit because it is only a couple hundred more and it will not void the warranty. However, the BMW kit does not really give me the drop that I want (only around 0.5 inches lower than ZSP from what I hear), and it is probably overkill for what I am looking for.

HOWEVER, I have recently seen comments posted on the forums saying that it is fine to run Eiback Pro springs (or B&G springs) with the stock ZSP shocks. Apparently Eibach springs will not blow out the stock shocks because it is a more moderate drop compared to other springs like H&R. I also had a conversation with someone at the BMW service department who has a 335i coupe and is getting Eibach Pro springs installed this week (front only) and keeping the rest of his suspension stock ZSP. He says that the Eibach's drop the front less than 2 inches, which is still within the tolerance of the ZSP shocks, so they should be ok.

Given how much cheaper it would be to do just springs and not a whole coilover or springs+shocks setup, who here runs the Eibach Pro springs only? What is your experience on:

- Ride height?
- Ride quality?
- Durability of the stock shocks. Has anyone blown their shocks way before normal ie 50,000 miles?
- Did you have to make any adjustments to the bump stops?
- Has anyone changed JUST the front springs?
- Approximate install price? The guy at BMW said $550-600 for install + $185 for alignment

I am starting to think that my worst case scenario is that I blow my shocks early, but I am already at 37k miles and from what I understand their normal lifetime is around 50k miles. If that happens then I will just get something like Koni FSD shocks without too much loss.

Thoughts anyone? Thanks in advance...

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #2
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
I have heard repeatedly from vendors that Eibachs do not require changing out your shocks.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 09:41 PM   #3
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Hey, i'm in the same boat. I was thinking of doing coilovers but its overkill for me because I never track. Thought of Koni Yellows with springs but the yellows are much more stiffer/harsher than the 2011 suspension on the e92s. Then considered the FSD w/springs but can't figure out if its worth it. Plus Koni is not confirming 100% that the struts/dampers pkg will work with the 2011 e92s despite what vendors say.

Nway, I've been thinking bout just going with the eibachs too. However I just got the car and don't want the shocks to blow before my lease is up.

Hopefully other guys runnin just the eibach pros will chime in.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 03:40 AM   #4
vic18t
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BSM E92

Bump. Im in the same boat too but am wondering how HR Sports spring effect the zsp shock life.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 11:05 AM   #5
swifty
Colonel
Rep

I've read quite a few reviews of ppl complaining about the ride quality and their shocks after switching to H&R. Just do a search.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 11:28 AM   #6
david @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Eibach's tend to keep as much of the factory feel on the suspension as possible. Think of it more as luxury but with a bit of a sport factor to it... H&R's tend to be much harder and aren't super comfortable... I remember on my H&R springs I was pretty miserable, even more so when my shocks went out about 3k miles after.

Since Eibach's don't lower the car as aggressive as the H&R's you'll probably see a bit more life out of it, but just for reference, my car was a pretty extreme example.

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 11:43 AM   #7
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

The Eibach Pro Lowering Springs provide a slightly more aggressive and raked stance than your stock suspension while still maintaining a comfortable ride (most comfortable compared to H&R Sport/Race). They will also fit your BMW's stock shocks and are a great and affordable way to increase handling while giving your car a lower stance. On average Eibach Pro Lowering Springs will lower your vehicle 1.4" in the front and 1.0" inches in the rear, providing for a lower center of gravity and improved handling. Pro Springs feature more control than that of the OEM springs, but are still comfortable for daily use. I'll shoot you over a PM with more details!

- Alan
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 12:07 PM   #8
DimSum
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: SLOW

Eibach pro's on ZSP is no problem.
Very factory feel and it doesn't really lower your car much compared to HR Sport.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 05:36 PM   #9
335timb
New Member no longer
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Sedan

Eibachs on ZSP:

I've had that very combination for quite a while now. I'm very pleased with both the stance and ride. Stance: Lowered, not slammed. Ride: Only slightly underdamped in the rear. The is NO discernible change in ride quality up front, but I have noticed the the rear of the car has a bit more of a bounce over bumps and through dips, etc.

I took the Eibachs off and put the stock springs back on to get my car CPO'd, and I could hardly feel the difference. (Of course I put the Eibachs right back on after 'passing the test.')

I'm at just over 55,000 miles, so the stock struts/shocks are perhaps feeling their age anyway...

I can go snap a couple cell-phone pics, if someone wants to educate me on how to download them...
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 08:12 PM   #10
coh4777
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Coupe

Thanks for the input everybody! Sounds like I will be good to go with doing just the Eibach springs as opposed to a full KW coilover.

I will probably wait on my final decision tho til I see this setup in person (the BMW mechanic I mentioned in my first post who is getting these installed shortly). From the forum pics I've seen the drop seems hardly noticeable compared to sport suspension, and in others it is pretty dramatic. It is probably just a matter of camera angles and whatnot because it seems like everybody who has installed it has been happy with the look.

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 10:57 PM   #11
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

If you check in the sticky, the spring rates for pro kit are almost identical to zsp. Hence the stock feel ppl are talking about.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 01:17 PM   #12
swifty
Colonel
Rep

one last question..

Will the eibach pros work with the 2011 e92 335i? Ppl keep saying just slap 'em on but do note, BMW did change the dampers (shocks & struts) for 2011 e92s. I was thinking about doing the koni yellow with eibachs initially but when called Koni they wouldn't confirm if it would work.

Nway, now that i'm just thinking about eibachs, I'm not sure if it matters much that the dampers have been changed. Has anyone tried 'em on the 2011s? I guess I could just call eibach and get a confirmation myself huh.
Appreciate 0