E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > car switching off below 2000 rpm

08-17-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
yunus
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i DCT 2011

car switching off below 2000 rpm

hello
i have 2006 323i sport

my vehicle every so often switches off when the revs drop below 2000rpm
this happens after 5 mins of driving , when i need to stop i dpress the clutch and as soon as it drops below 2000rpms it switches off , if keep the revs above that it stays on!
if i leave it off for about and hour and restart , then everything is normal for a few days then its starts again

its been in to the dealer twice already , dont know what they did the first time but the second i asked and was told that the car thinks its overheating then switches itself off, they replaced a thermostat , i dont know where , but 1 month later the same thing is happening !

any thoughts on what it may be ?

yunus
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 11:43 PM   #2
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Bad MAF sensor maybe? Or maybe another bad sensor. It sounds like an electronic problem. It also could be a bad vacuum line too. It's really hard to trace these kinds of things down on a modern car. However, thermostat would have been the last thing on my mind. If the car was or thought it was overheating it would give you a coolant temp warning light. I've never heard of a car shutting off automatically because it thinks it's overheating. I had my car overheat once and it kept running until I shut it off.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 03:18 PM   #3
yunus
Private
South Africa
Rep

i have booked the car in with the dealer , the foreman says he is doing some research and will personally try and locate the fault, lets hope he is capable !
keep you guys informed as to what the problem is ....
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 03:05 PM   #4
yunus
Private
South Africa
Rep

hi guys,

got my car back from the dealer today , the changed out the vanos solenoid valve, not quite sure what that does , buut they say that was giving the problem...........we'll see if it does happen again.

any idea what the solenoid valve does ? and do you think it is the cause of my issue ?

ta
yunus
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Vanos is your variable vavle timing. If a part of it was malfunctioning, then it might cause your engine to shut off. I think that solenoid tells the vanos control unit when your car is idling which might explain why your car works fine when your rev it up and down but goes through idle and shuts off.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0