Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Non-RFT *MAY* void warranty??!!!

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

01-04-2007, 11:03 AM   #1
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Non-RFT *MAY* void warranty??!!!

With my Potenza slicks on the front, I was looking to get something different at a local shop. The guy was happy to sell me something else, but warned he had several complaints that service was refused by BMW because the car did not have to original equipment RFT installed. WTF?!!! I drove down the street to ask my friend at the dealership and he said that yes, if BMW traced a fault to the different tires, they would not cover the issue. I KNOW I'm going to need brake service after riding with my wife.
Anybody out there had any similar experience where a manufacturer voided warranty because of different tires? I'm not talking putting 22" Mickey Thompson mud paddles, just a decent grand touring or something that will be QUIET and maybe last until my first oil change.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2007, 11:08 AM   #2
m3power13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Stripper

Those guys are feeding you a big ole' helping of doggy poo. All of the tires on our previous BMW's have been changed to something different from factory, never any problems.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2007, 11:15 AM   #3
obLu
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

The magic phrase there is, if BMW traced a fault to the different tires.

I can see a couple of variables here though.

1) BMW doesn't warranty tires. Therefore, by my thinking, I'm under no obligation to replace the tires with the brand or model # supplied at time of delivery. Also, who knows if that model tire will still be manufactured in 2-3-4 years? I can see them arguing RFT vs non-RFT but that would be ignorant ... obviously RFT are stiffer and would be more likely to do damage.

2) 99% of suspension components aren't warrantied anyway. They're treated as wear and tear items. Hit a pot hole, bend a control arm or sway bar link and see what your dealer has to say about replacing the parts under warranty. Don't hit a pot hole and that's what they'll claim anyway. Once the control arm bushings in the e90 start to go new BMW owners will start to discover this.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2007, 11:43 AM   #4
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

By my way of thinking, if I put the same size tire on the same rim, there should be no issue. But this claim that BMW designed the suspension around the RFT . . .??? I'm no engineer so I can't possibly think what particular characteristics might be involved, other than reduced overall weight by not including a spare. Do I change the drag coefficient by reducing by 10+ lbs on each corner? Do my brakes not stop as well, or overheat, because the rotational weight of each wheel is changed?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2007, 01:53 PM   #5
Fokusracing
Private
Rep
Drives: Alpine '17 M2

Look up Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act. This is what they are referring to. This protects the consumer. Imagine if your warranty covered wheel damage. W/O runflat tires, they could deny coverage because your tires shredded and the wheel ran on the ground, while if it had runflats, it would have supported the load. Same thing goes for every other part that you change. Example: An aftermarket LSD would not void turbo failure warranty.....
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2007, 02:15 PM   #6
obLu
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

Quote:
But this claim that BMW designed the suspension around the RFT
Just means they softened the spring rates and tweaked the dampening to adjust for the stiffer "spring rate" of the harder tire sidewall. No magic.

Breaking, ride, handling, acceleration are all better as a result of lower unsprung weight. But the weight diff between non-rft and rft tires really isn't all that much. They just have softer sidewall.
Appreciate 0