E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > premature tyre wear/camber

08-09-2010, 02:33 AM   #1
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

premature tyre wear/camber

in the uk we have a huge problem with the inner rear tyres wearing prematurely and ruining the tyres. some say its down to the negative camber. does anyone have this problem in the usa and is it possible fitting bmw performance suspension would make this worse or perhaps help prevent it.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 02:39 AM   #2
kevin@bavarianx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Get an alignment. Negative camber is not the sole factor in uneven wear of the tires. Toe is responsible for the dragging of the tires causing the wear. Getting an alignment with 0 toe or a little toe for the performance oriented drivers will solve the issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 04:31 AM   #3
cent778
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Are you running Bridgestone RFT? If so I believe its down to the tyre design them selves. I have the same problem with mine (all 4 tyres). Two different shops do wheel alignments and both came back specs with in factory settings. Tyre pressure have been 39psi up front and 40psi rear since day one, go figure?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 05:00 AM   #4
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by cent778 View Post
Are you running Bridgestone RFT? If so I believe its down to the tyre design them selves. I have the same problem with mine (all 4 tyres). Two different shops do wheel alignments and both came back specs with in factory settings. Tyre pressure have been 39psi up front and 40psi rear since day one, go figure?
both sets of mine were bridgestones, i wrote to them explaining the problem and they blamed me for running the tyres below pressure despite the fact i check them weekly and the pressures were kept spot on, they also sent the same reply to numerous other people with the same problem. not had the car aligned but several people with the same wear problem have and the alignment was ok. i agree i think the bridgestone tyres are the problem they are crap. i certainly will never buy bridgstone again and their customer relations attitude stinks as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 06:54 PM   #5
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerboo View Post
both sets of mine were bridgestones, i wrote to them explaining the problem and they blamed me for running the tyres below pressure despite the fact i check them weekly and the pressures were kept spot on, they also sent the same reply to numerous other people with the same problem. not had the car aligned but several people with the same wear problem have and the alignment was ok. i agree i think the bridgestone tyres are the problem they are crap. i certainly will never buy bridgstone again and their customer relations attitude stinks as well.
Its not the only car to do this.
It is also VERY common on VWs like the Passat and thats FWD fixed geo.
They knock off the inner edge is a ridge like fashion so you get huge road noise like a motorcross tyre!
If you look at the camber/toe you can see why.
And its definately a toe issue IMO.
Appreciate 0