E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > NEW TO SITE NEED HELP PLEASE! 320d M sport Softer suspension?

08-03-2010, 07:44 AM   #1
Marcin28
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d M sport Highline

NEW TO SITE NEED HELP PLEASE! 320d M sport Softer suspension?

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the site and needed some help badly.

I recently bought a 320d Msport highline. Now i know most of you will think i'm totally crazy but the the ride quality is so hard that i want to soften the ride! When i fist bought the car then i didn't realise how much driving i would be doing as my job now sees me doing around 2,000 miles/ month.

The car sits on run flat 19" and its got M Sport suspension, i can literally feel every single minor crack in the road! and although the handlings ok when i go drive it fast and it goes over uneven camber its unstabble so i cant even drive it that fast.

Can anyone please give me some reasonably cheap options for softening the ride, im new to the site and really need some help! Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 08:23 AM   #2
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: metrocard

it's not the suspension. it's the tires. what you should look to do is get rid of the run-flat tires and replace them with standard tires. the ride will be not only smoother but quieter. they'll also give you increased grip. so when the day comes that you want to do some more spirited driving, you'll be glad you didn't get rid of the sport suspension.

also having 19inch wheels doesn't help. i guessing you have the 225Ms? a downgrade to 18 inch wheels will also improve the ride.

i think that most responses will sound similar to mine. welcome to the forum. any pics you can post?
7/18/09- I pick up my baby- 2009 E92 335i Xdrive, Space Gray over Coral Red. Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, M-Sport Pkg, 193Ms, Gloss Black grills, Custom Gloss Black Mirrors, Performance shift and E-brake boot, M3 spoiler, Euro fog switch, gloss black interior tim, Coco-Mats (red/black), H&R coilovers, 19'' Alufelgen SF-71s......
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
SV Concepts II
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBananaz18 View Post
it's not the suspension. it's the tires. what you should look to do is get rid of the run-flat tires and replace them with standard tires. the ride will be not only smoother but quieter. they'll also give you increased grip. so when the day comes that you want to do some more spirited driving, you'll be glad you didn't get rid of the sport suspension.

also having 19inch wheels doesn't help. i guessing you have the 225Ms? a downgrade to 18 inch wheels will also improve the ride.

i think that most responses will sound similar to mine. welcome to the forum. any pics you can post?
+1, RFT tires run extremely harsh. Change them out first to non-RFTs and you will see a huge improvement.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 07:31 AM   #4
Marcin28
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d M sport Highline

Thanks for replying to my post! i really appreciate it!

Ok cool, i'll try going down to 18" and see how that goes, hopefully that will sort out the bumpy ride. I'll post my results once i've worn them in a little and get some pics up.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0