E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > New vs. Used Springs

07-25-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
SmashD
Life's a pitch and then you buy
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36

New vs. Used Springs

Hi all,

Ive decided to get H&R sports for my stock E90 (non-zsp susp) and was wondering what your opinions are on new vs used springs.

Reason Im asking is because there are some things that are ok to buy used (cars, electronics, etc.) and some things that are better off being purchased brand new (toothbrushes, underwear, etc). Im wondering if it would be better for me to get the springs new and let the springs naturally settle with my car weight over time or if that even matters.

If I could save a couple hundred bucks do you think it would be worth it buying used?

Thanks in advance!

BTW: In case you're wondering, yes, later on down the line I will be upgrading my shocks too.
Land Rover Discovery
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 02:42 PM   #2
Ofmalik
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335is

Buy new in my opinion, a new set of H&R sports only runs about 230shipped.

Yes you will save by buying used -- the initial savings, no need to have an alignment done after the springs settle [as you would with a new set], etc. -- but in terms of overall value and resale options you get the short end of the stick.
      07-25-2010, 02:43 PM   #3
Wlew
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

I promise you will be happier if you upgrade both at once. Suspension is something you do not want to cheap out on as it is such an important part of the car. You will save money by getting both at once and installing both at once. Your ride will be harsher without new shocks to go with the lowered look and will wear out quickly. You will love yourself in the end for doing it all at once.

As for used or new... I would buy new, thats my opinion. I bought two used shocks for the rear, and the grooves were a little stripped and didnt come with bolts. however, the seller was a super nice guy and great to deal with, great deal too. But I had to spend a little more on install to get those fixed... wasnt a problem, but caused a headache for a bit.

Just go for it, once you drive it youll love it. however, I do suggest Eibach over H&R. definitely Koni yellows though.
      07-25-2010, 02:51 PM   #4
SmashD
Life's a pitch and then you buy
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlew View Post
I promise you will be happier if you upgrade both at once.
I dont doubt it, if I can manage to budget the yellows into the install then I def will. Im the only income earner in my family so its hard to justify a $1k+ "upgrade". $200 - $300 here and there however flies under the radar

Quote:
As for used or new... I would buy new, thats my opinion. I bought two used shocks for the rear, and the grooves were a little stripped and didnt come with bolts.
If I buy used I'll be purchasing through a vender so at least theres a little more accountability in the purchase vs going with a private seller.

Quote:
however, I do suggest Eibach over H&R. definitely Koni yellows though.
I prefer Eibach as well HOWEVER the pro kit is too conservative of a drop for me and the sportlines are too aggressive. I wish they made something in between, thats the only reason Im going with the sports.

Thanks for the replies everyone! Any other opinions?
Land Rover Discovery
Appreciate 0