Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Rim Damage Question

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

12-29-2006, 01:31 AM   #1
dArNeLLi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i on ED, pickup 10/6

Rim Damage Question

The wheel shop that installed my wheels chipped paint from the center ring on all four wheels while balancing, and a small nick on one of the spokes on the front wheel. They went to repair it with touch-up paint, and you can still see the cracked layer around the center ring, and the nick is still visible, the touch-up just made it the same color. They also used a wheel cleaner the removed the clear coat completely from one of my wheels as well as some paint (created a faded type look and a gritty type feel). They said they use this (tar/grease remover) on all of their wheels and never had a cause where the paint/clearcoat came off while cleaning it. They said my rims were cheap and that's why the paint rubbed off, trying to blame it on me. These were brand new wheels right out of the box. Should I demand for replacement of all four wheels (is this reasonable?) or should I demand for a repaint of all four wheels? I've spoke to another member of the board about this, but wanted to get the opinion of everyone else. Stuck in a bad situation, give me some feedback, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2006, 01:36 AM   #2
dArNeLLi
Lieutenant
Rep

probably can't see it from the pic (the best i could get) but look for the faded paint
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2006, 07:20 AM   #3
ZuerstBMW
¡Viva España!
Rep
Drives: 2023 230i Mineral White

If these were brand new rims before they installed them, I would make them get you new ones. Thats just not right.
      12-29-2006, 10:09 AM   #4
dArNeLLi
Lieutenant
Rep

yea i've got to see what they are willing to do, what do i do if they refuse to do either? as another member said, a law suit might be in order, any other routes to get them to take care of this situation?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2006, 10:50 AM   #5
dArNeLLi
Lieutenant
Rep

okay update, the wheel shop has agreed to do a complete 'repaint' on all four wheels, using this shop

http://www.fixrim.com/

he said they will produce the exact same finish as the original manufacturer, and the return time will be a day? is there any drawback to doing this?
Attached Images

Last edited by dArNeLLi; 12-29-2006 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: including a picture
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2006, 12:14 PM   #6
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

I honestly cannot find any nicks or scratches on your rim. Personally I would not waste my time and the hassle of getting it repaint. You rims look new to me.
      12-29-2006, 12:38 PM   #7
dArNeLLi
Lieutenant
Rep

i'll get a picture of the nick, and i'll get pictures of the center ring with chipped paint that has been touched up (if my camera can do so)

the major thing is that one of the wheels has a sand paper type feel, the clear coat is completely gone, as well as faded paint (pretty noticeable in person)

thanks for your feedback though
Appreciate 0