E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Alignment trouble help!

07-21-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
mgiglio2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Alignment trouble help!

Bought a used 335i still under warranty. Since i bought the car, there was a shimmy in the front end, after 3 visits, the local BMW dealer finally figured out there was a suspension component which was worn and they replaced it. Upon replacement, they said I should do an alignment so I paid the $190. Immediately upon receiving the car, I said the alignment was still out, they had a tech go on a ride, he said my car was following the crown in the road, but he'd look at it again next week. Now it's a week later when i bring the car back in, and they are saying my alignment is back out. However, now they are saying that even thought they did it last week, and even though I never thought it was aligned from the beginning, they can't redo it for me without charging me because I don't have BMW wheels on the car, I have aftermarket CSL replicas. Please help if possible, I'm considering just going to a local shop but don't know if I should
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 04:11 AM   #2
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

just take your car to a shop that know what they are doing and redo the complete alignment.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 06:25 PM   #3
mgiglio2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The guys at BMW are claiming they have to put weight bags in the suspension and if alignment is not done correctly to BMW specs, I may caused damage to the suspension. Any truth in this, if so, anyone know of a local shop in central nj that has done their alignment?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 09:53 AM   #4
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgiglio2 View Post
The guys at BMW are claiming they have to put weight bags in the suspension and if alignment is not done correctly to BMW specs, I may caused damage to the suspension. Any truth in this, if so, anyone know of a local shop in central nj that has done their alignment?
Yes they are correct. The car needs to be preloaded with weight with the old system. My dealer has the new BMW alignment set up that no longer requires this. The techs are so happy since they had to keep moving 200+ pounds of sand bags in an out of cars!
      07-23-2010, 04:49 PM   #5
mgiglio2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So then I'm assuming I have to call around and ask each shop if they can specifically do this car? Any help would be much appreciated, I'd like to enjoy my car
Appreciate 0