E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > RB Turbo Questions?

07-21-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
SmokedYou1
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

RB Turbo Questions?

I been lurking here for a while now and cant figure something out. For the last 3 months (probably more, but thats when i came around) people have been begging and pleading for turbo upgrades, now they are coming around and noone is jumping on them?

I see info on the EPL (2 guys)and TD (1 guy, who didnt feel like he needed to run race fuel @3x stock boost?), but why is there only 1 guy with the RB turbo's, and there is no talk of it over here? I see the thread on another site and its full of information but i choose not to get involved over there.

So I have to ask my questions here:

Why is only 1 guy running them? I would think a full upgraded turbo, and especially with a wastegate upgrade, would be the best choice, no?

The gains are shown to be 493hp@20 psi and in the 5xx before the boost safety limit @ 21psi. what is holding us back from going higher?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 02:20 PM   #2
ultimateendz
Vengeance is mine, I shall repay
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3, CTS-V coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokedYou1 View Post
I been lurking here for a while now and cant figure something out. For the last 3 months (probably more, but thats when i came around) people have been begging and pleading for turbo upgrades, now they are coming around and noone is jumping on them?

I see info on the EPL (2 guys)and TD (1 guy, who didnt feel like he needed to run race fuel @3x stock boost?), but why is there only 1 guy with the RB turbo's, and there is no talk of it over here? I see the thread on another site and its full of information but i choose not to get involved over there.

Why is only 1 guy running them? I would think a full upgraded turbo, and especially with a wastegate upgrade, would be the best choice, no?

The gains are shown to be 493hp@20 psi and in the 5xx before the boost safety limit @ 21psi. what is holding us back from going higher?
evolution motorsports intake mani would prob help upgraded turbos a bit as well
      07-21-2010, 02:25 PM   #3
Kevin@AKMotorwerk
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: THE GUY YOU LOVE TO HATE

Quote:

i agree completely, i prefer the fully upgraded turbo for reliability reasons, the stock shaft is way too thin for long term high boost.

i think the open deck is holding back much higher boost, and fueling restrictions
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 02:51 PM   #4
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

There's soon to be 9 more of us with RB Turbos? Did you read the end of that thread??? There's 9 people with $1500 deposits at this time awaiting the turbos to be ready (4-5 weeks) at which time we'll pay the 2nd half and get the turbos...

There's only one guy running them (LostMarine) because he was a lucky SOB and got the set straight off of RB's car
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 02:54 PM   #5
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Quote:

you cant go higher without lowering the compression or running constantly race gas plus meth. I am the TD guy that did not feel like running race gas on 21.7 psi and blew his engine or maybe didnt know it was a must at that time.... I guess beta testing for the community has his price ....
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 02:56 PM   #6
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Yeah, 18psi might be the most to run on pump + meth with these bad boys to keep it safe...
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 05:59 PM   #7
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i, 05 E46 330i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
Lower the compression, lower IAT's with meth/bigger wheel and lets boost 30lbs. The TMAP sensor also has its limits.. And fuel system... And. And..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 08:53 AM   #8
IlChengis
once Treppiede
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
people have been begging and pleading for turbo upgrades, now they are coming around and noone is jumping on them?
Mainly because the way they are pricing these snails is a joke.

Also, I suspect a lot of people are waiting for more solutions to come to the market. I am sure many are eagerly awaiting for AR's single turbo upgrade and HFP's offerings as well.

But yes, the price of the current ones is ridiculous.

-Walter
      07-22-2010, 09:08 AM   #9
ultimateendz
Vengeance is mine, I shall repay
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3, CTS-V coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppiede View Post

Also, I suspect a lot of people are waiting for more solutions to come to the market. I am sure many are eagerly awaiting for AR's single turbo upgrade and HFP's offerings as well.

-Walter
im sure the price of ARs and HPF is gonna be astronomical compared to ours....
      07-22-2010, 10:15 AM   #10
packinDSS
Lead Foot
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan

Quote:

-Walter

$$$$$$PRICE$$$$$$ for the additional 50hp is a joke............
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 10:56 AM   #11
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:

I assume you haven't read the thread on N54tech, because you wouldn't ask that question otherwise. Rob Beck is currently assembling all parts after having received the deposits and will have produced them in 3-4 weeks, if all goes well.

I'm also reasonably sure that there are quite a lot of other people who have already acquired turbo upgrades but are either not on the forums or prefer not to post any details. Then there are many others who're on the fence but await further feedback from other forum members.

We've already seen an amazing development of options here in the past months (Turbo Dynamics, EPL, RB), and I'm sure it's only a matter of time until they become more widespread.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      07-22-2010, 12:38 PM   #12
SmokedYou1
Banned
Rep

I have beeen reading through for n54 threads but its taking time.

I was actually referring to the results posted on the other "other" site . (why is called the "other" site anyway. i tried to type it out and it came up in "*****'s"?)

I just think people are spoiled because they see what a gain a simple tune alone can do, and expect more from each mod that comes after it.

so it looks like this for $500 (+) i can gain the initial 50-80rwhp
downpipes $600-700 for 10-30 depending
FMIC $600+ for 10rwhp?
exhaust $1200-$2000 for 10rwhp?
methanol $300-$600 for 15-30rwhp

and most of that hp is just because you can run moore boost from and already purchased tune, and the #'s overlap eachother because one is needed to run the other.. and yet people think ~$3k for 2 upgraded turbo's is too much, on a $50-60K car? We are still in a bmw, not a honda/nissan/toyota/mazda/ford with a huge aftermarket backing. in fact, bmw is doing their best to prevent exctly that aren't they?

AR, HPF, JE/CPE all working on singles, but previous details shows those are not going to be within the price range of people that are already complaining about the price on twins. i just dont get some peoples reasoning

But to those that answered my questions. Thank you. Ill be purchasing all my mods soon, a plan on going full stage 4-5-6 whatever you guys call it, as soon as Im sure i
reasonably trust my car to not suffer from the common problems posted around here.

ill be keeping a close eye on the upgrade results though
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 12:53 PM   #13
Kevin@AKMotorwerk
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: THE GUY YOU LOVE TO HATE

Quote:

I was actually referring to the results posted on the other "other" site . (why is called the "other" site anyway. i tried to type it out and it came up in "*****'s"?)

I just think people are spoiled because they see what a gain a simple tune alone can do, and expect more from each mod that comes after it.

FMIC $600+ for 10rwhp?

and most of that hp is just because you can run moore boost from and already purchased tune, and the #'s overlap eachother because one is needed to run the other.. and yet people think ~$3k for 2 upgraded turbo's is too much, on a $50-60K car? We are still in a bmw, not a honda/nissan/toyota/mazda/ford with a huge aftermarket backing. in fact, bmw is doing their best to prevent exctly that aren't they?

AR, HPF, JE/CPE all working on singles, but previous details shows those are not going to be within the price range of people that are already complaining about the price on twins. i just dont get some peoples reasoning

But to those that answered my questions. Thank you. Ill be purchasing all my mods soon, a plan on going full stage 4-5-6 whatever you guys call it, as soon as Im sure i
reasonably trust my car to not suffer from the common problems posted around here.

what tune are you leaning towards?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 01:00 PM   #14
SmokedYou1
Banned
Rep

most likely towards Cp-e as it close to my parents home, and can do in house tuning, and seems to have the best tuning software and parameters of anyone on the market.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 02:10 PM   #15
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

No problem with CP-E it has the most control over the other tunes, and properly setup can get more power too.

Problem is people relying on race gas and meth to run these cars. All that stuff is, is a band-aid.

Set your car to run optimally on the street, and feed race gas and meth to run at the track.

I may sound hypocritical cause i run meth daily but then again, I still dont push unrealistic boost and im not using it as a FUELING band-aid.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 02:14 PM   #16
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSlick View Post
No problem with CP-E it has the most control over the other tunes, and properly setup can get more power too.
By "most control", you mean that it is more user programmable, right? Because, the tune itself doesn't control more engine control than the Procede.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 02:16 PM   #17
itsbrokeagain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 528iT, E53 X5, E46 325xi

Quote:

FMIC $600+ for 10rwhp?

you hit the nail on the head pretty much. A lot of people I see are spoiled on here when it comes to mods. Everyone sees strictly the numbers and goes with that. But it seems like half the forum failed physics in high school or never bothered to remember. It not all about the numbers.

Sure you can do all that work with all the bolt ons and scream the stock turbos at 17 psi for which they are clearly out of their range and working beyond their efficiency. Just piling meth on top of it to keep the charge temps down is a band-aid approach to tuning. Now doing new turbos, sure it is a lot of money for 'only' 50hp, but the car can make more power now on less boost, and do it more efficiently without taxing the rest of the system.

Your intercooler doesnt get as heat soaked due to your turbo outlet temps are a lot lower, which means your intake temps going into the engine are lower, which in turn generates lower EGTs, which keeps the hot side of your turbos down in temp and increasing longevity.

I've always stressed the point about working towards keeping the car reliable first, then adding more power. Not the other way around.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 02:52 PM   #18
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

^ all great points, and also the upgraded turbo's carry the power longer to redline...

2008 E90 335
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 02:58 PM   #19
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
By "most control", you mean that it is more user programmable, right? Because, the tune itself doesn't control more engine control than the Procede.

Shiv
You know what I mean
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 06:15 PM   #20
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Quote:

FMIC $600+ for 10rwhp?

If you compare them to just turbos they are extremely overpriced. You can buy 2 t4 ball bearing turbos for under 3k. Rob's are the most reasonable priced and are the ones I would go with. I would not even look at the others because they are out in the startospher in price.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 07:57 PM   #21
IlChengis
once Treppiede
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe View Post
Now doing new turbos, sure it is a lot of money for 'only' 50hp, but the car can make more power now on less boost, and do it more efficiently without taxing the rest of the system.
I completely agree with this. I would never underestimate the importance of upgraded turbos and I rarely ever look at the price vs. hp ratio. My problem is with the price. Most of my cars have been Turbo and most weren't left stock, so I have a pretty good idea on the price of performance upgrades and 2-3k for a set of rebuilt stock turbos is an insult.

Running the stock twins to the max reminds me of the DSM days when some of the 2G guys would try to boost 15+psi on their tiny T-25s rather than waiting for a decent upgrade (16G, 20G, FP Green, FP Red or hybrids) or getting a 14B from a 1G in the mean time.

-Walter

Last edited by IlChengis; 07-22-2010 at 10:10 PM.. Reason: Corrected stock 2G DSM Turbo from T-28 to T-25. The T-28 was an actual upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 08:12 PM   #22
Hit_Apex
Riding the knock sensor
Rep
Drives: 21 X5MC | 23 M4CSL

Garage List
2021 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Running the stock twins to the max reminds me of the DSM days when some of the 2G guys would try to boost 15+psi on their tiny T-28s rather than waiting for a decent upgrade (16G, 20G, FP Green, FP Red or hybrids) or getting a 14B from a 1G in the mean time.

-Walter
Not sure you made a point with this reference. What was the downside of their impatience? Were the stock turbos failing at an alarming rate?