E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Quaife LSD Install

07-20-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
Marcus-SanDiego
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 X5 4.8i (E70)

Quaife LSD Install

Before I get started, let me get some of the formalities out of the way. I have a 2009 335 6MT. I had a welded factory differential. As a result, I had to purchase a full, complete final drive from HP Autowerks.

Harold was a total joy to work with. I ordered the Quaife on July 8. I was told that it could take as long as seven days for HP Autowerks to ship the diff to me. In fact, the diff shipped out on July 14, six days after I placed my order. I received the diff a day later.

I got the LSD installed yesterday. The install took one hour and 40 minutes. Euro Auto Spot did the work. Shane Nguyen, owner of Euro Auto Spot, and Steve, new master tech that was recently hired by Euro Auto Spot (he was most recently at BMW South County), tagged teamed the install.

I watched the install and took pictures along the way. I was surprised how much work was involved in the install -- despite the fact that I bought the complete final drive (pumpkin with Quaife inside).

I drove straight home after the install but one thing was obvious from the start. The car, when you accelerate, feels more sure now. It's very obvious. I didn't have a chance to hit any fun on- or off-ramps, but I'm looking forward to it. It's too bad the LSD isn't a factory option -- or standard equipment -- on the 335. This car could have really benefited from it. Oh, well. I have one now. I already think the money was well spent but I am sure that I'll really think that once I toss the car around a little bit.

By the way, I retained the stock gearing ratio (3.08).

In the meantime, here are a bunch of miscellaneous pictures. I think I took some 40 pictures or so. I'll supplement this thread as I find time to upload the pictures.

Removing the exhaust

After everything was loosened up -- dropping the diff

Diff being lowered

Diff being lowered

Half shafts without diff installed

Diff cover cleaned and then prepared so that it can be attached to new diff unit

Tightening stuff up after diff was reinstalled

New torx screws being added to half shaft

Scraping off the residue from the diff cover before applying adhesive

As I get more pictures, I will supplement this thread.

Last edited by Marcus-SanDiego; 07-20-2010 at 06:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

cool!! congrats....my car is back at the shop after having the wavetrac installed...they didn't line up the driveshaft properly so i was getting a thump when upshifting...can't wait..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 05:19 PM   #3
Twilight1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tuned SHO

I love the photos. Keep them coming.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 08:46 AM   #4
rummy
stoked
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92

Awesome.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 02:47 PM   #5
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Any reviews after some test drives?
Appreciate 0