E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > please help - HIDs installed professionally with some problems

07-19-2010, 07:07 PM   #1
bigchimpin101
Rep
Drives: Sparkling Graphite 06' 325i

Angry please help - HIDs installed professionally with some problems

I have an 06, 325i sedan.

I just got back from Velocity Factor, in Boca Raton, FL. He quoted me 250 for HID headlights. I gave them my cell phone number, and they said they would call before doing anything extra. When I picked it up, he said that when he opened it up, he realized he needed a "canceler", and there was an additional charge of 50 dollars. He said that all of the BMWs are different, and therefore he didn't know before he got in. It sounded like a lot of bullshit to me, because he told me he did it on beamers all the time. Regardless, he should have called before he did something that changed the estimate.
I'm in high school, and i feel like he tried to take advantage of it. Someone let me know what all that means.

And, more importantly, now my automatic lights dont work. I either have to put it on or off, and he didn't tell me this would be the case prior to the work. How do I fix this? Shouldn't he be responsible for fixing it?

And now my low beams are good, and the light is whiteish blue, but my highs have yellow bulbs, and i still have the orange blinker light. Does anyone know which bulbs I need to finish the look?

Thanks to anyone who got this far reading... by the way, what is a reasonable price for the HIDs?

-Eliot
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #2
Mike@F1 Autohaüs
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ❤

He's responsible for not informing you of the issue in the first place in regards to your model/year BMW. If I were you I'd just get the "cancellors" from him locally and ask for a discount. You don't want to waste anymore money for another HID kit with what you've already spent

Your high beam bulbs are size H7
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
mochi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: non turbo

he is ripping you offf. go into the regional and pay someone with better knowlege of the e90x
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 09:45 PM   #4
Mike@F1 Autohaüs
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ❤

Next time around I'd recommend the MTEC HID kits as they're straight plug-n-play and error free
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 11:12 PM   #5
crazydrummer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i 08

Yeah man as a fellow teen with these car, don't trust anyone unless you know them personally. I've seen more of my friends than I can count get taken for a by shops doing installing something or other to their trucks/cars. I'd say your best bet is just to do some research on the net then get a little dirty and do I yourself. You'll see most everything isn't that hard and you'll save alot of money and headaches dealing with people. I've replaced every light on my car including putting hid fogs in. I've put hid kits in all sorts of cars for my friends. Recently wired up and installed 3 kits (low,high,fogs) in a 2008 tahoe and it's the brightest thing I've ever seen. Many people are skeptical but I really like the ddm tuning hid kits. Cheap, easy to install, no errors, lifetime warranty, and i have a set on my old truck that's been running flawlessly for 2 years now.
      07-19-2010, 11:37 PM   #6
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: race car

i dont think he is ripping you off, you do need cancelers, thats a fact. sure you can find them cheaper than 50 if you look. i dont know why the auto lights wouldnt work. your hight beam is yellow because thats a stock bulb, the kit is only installed on the low beam. your orange reflectors will remain orange, unless you change the bulb. I dont know why the automatic lights arent working, they should because i installed stock xenon with an aftermarket kit on my 06 325 and it works like stock
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 11:55 PM   #7
SSDD
Reading > Posting
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i

They probably pulled the 12v for the HID's from somewhere random and didn't use a direct swap like Mike is talking about. As recommended earlier talk to the guys in your regional forum. If they don't know a member that can help you out for some pizza they will know a reliable shop. Although if you are interested in trying out the install yourself, Mike is the man to go to.
Good luck with getting it corrected either way.
      07-20-2010, 12:32 AM   #8
bigchimpin101
Rep
Drives: Sparkling Graphite 06' 325i

how hard is it to replace the bulbs on the highbeams and the amber blinker? if anyone knows please let me know which bulb i need for the blinker
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 03:59 PM   #9
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchimpin101 View Post
how hard is it to replace the bulbs on the highbeams and the amber blinker? if anyone knows please let me know which bulb i need for the blinker
you have to take the lights off to get to the high beams. you can get some mtech or gp xenon look bulbs for like 20 bucks from e92-lighting. the bulbs are simple to install, getting the lights off the car is the hard part, but it gets easier the more you do it. i struggled for 2 hours the first time, now i can do it in 15-20 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 04:07 PM   #10
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

In my professional opinion, depending on the warranty, and quality of the product he is using, that will make up for the price, I think $300 total is a high price for todays market on low beam setup, on an 06 they are very hard to get them to work,

I would suggest you return to him, and tell him, he must relay the power, and use Resistors/Load EQs/Cancelers or whatever name he would like to use.

There is no plug and play option I have found for that car.

I think a fair price would have been $200-$240 as these cars are hard.
Appreciate 0