E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Alarm: confirmation beep??

12-26-2006, 12:42 PM   #1
NPinUK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325i M Sport

Alarm: confirmation beep??

Hi every 1,

I just wanted to know if any one here in the U.K. has managed to get the confirmation 'beep' when switching on or off the alarm. This is basically when u press unlock/lock on your key fob. On mine the hazard lights blink as confirmation but thats it. I have read many peolple from U.S. say its possible to get the 'beep' in thier cars but you need to take it too the dealer. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks
N.P.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2006, 12:59 PM   #2
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
No beep from mine. Currently configured to flash once when locking and twice on unlocking. I can't get my mirrors to fold in or out with the remote which I thought was possible... not sure if dealer has to program this.
      12-26-2006, 01:18 PM   #3
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
On the E90 330i, if you have iDrive you can set confirmation with audio. At least that is how the U.S. folks have it. Mine doesn't have the alarm so I really can't help you (yet).
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2006, 02:08 PM   #4
NPinUK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer
No beep from mine. Currently configured to flash once when locking and twice on unlocking. I can't get my mirrors to fold in or out with the remote which I thought was possible... not sure if dealer has to program this.
I'm taking that you ordered the option 'folding door mirrors' then they should fold when locking your car. Best thing to get it checked at dealers.

I got mine set to flash as well but apperently in the idrive (or even non i drive) menu where you adjust these flash settings you should have the option of selecting 'acoustic signal sound' (according to U.S. members)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank
On the E90 330i, if you have iDrive you can set confirmation with audio. At least that is how the U.S. folks have it. Mine doesn't have the alarm so I really can't help you (yet).
Thanks, yes this is the option i'm talking about but its not there in the menu. Reading feedback from Z4 Beemer, seems like he doesn't have it either. Some one in U.S. mentioned there is a separate software update just for the alarm, which is different from the program (CIP) updates. This alarm update will add the 'acoustic signal sound' option to the i drive menu but again this has only been mentioned by U.S. members so not sure if it applies to U.K.

Thanks for the feed back. Any one else with more information??
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2006, 02:29 PM   #5
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Only info in the manual about the power folding mirrors is that you press the button to fold/unfold and that if your drive off with them folded, they automatically unfold when you reach 25mph - no mention about folding/unfolding from the remote.

Definitely no mention about acoustic confirmation in the manual - only visual.

One strange thing it says in the manual (in some countries) if you hold the boot unlock button it triggers a panic alarm. I don't think this applies to the UK - anyone know?

Also, not sure if it only applies to the coupe, but if you press the unlock button on the remote twice, when you open a door the window goes about 3/4 of the way down then goes back up when you close the door (dealer says this is useful for getting in/out of car in tight spaces). If you hold the unlock button in the windows go all the way down.
      12-26-2006, 02:51 PM   #6
Joop!
Major
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4 M40i Roadster

Garage List
On the US models it can be changed like this:

You can program the vehicle to confirm when it has been locked or unlocked.
1. Open the start menu. (Press MENU button)
2. Press the controller to open the i-menu.
3. Select "Vehicle settings" and press the controller.
4. Select "Door locks" and press the controller.
5. Select "Confirmation" and press the controller.
6. Select the desired signal.
7. Press the controller on your desired signal. The signal is activated.

BMW - Maίstab fόr Fahrspaί
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2006, 02:53 PM   #7
Joop!
Major
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4 M40i Roadster

Garage List
Without iDrive the dealer can program it.

BMW - Maίstab fόr Fahrspaί
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2006, 03:42 PM   #8
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPinUK
Thanks, yes this is the option i'm talking about but its not there in the menu. Reading feedback from Z4 Beemer, seems like he doesn't have it either. Some one in U.S. mentioned there is a separate software update just for the alarm, which is different from the program (CIP) updates. This alarm update will add the 'acoustic signal sound' option to the i drive menu but again this has only been mentioned by U.S. members so not sure if it applies to U.K.
On the U.S. models the alarm is a dealer add-on, unlike in the UK where it comes standard. As an add-on even though the owner may install it themself, the dealer still needs to activate it. Until it is activated, the acoustic signal is unavailable. Maybe on the OP's vehicle the alarm hasn't been activated by mistake.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2006, 02:42 PM   #9
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPinUK
I'm taking that you ordered the option 'folding door mirrors' then they should fold when locking your car. Best thing to get it checked at dealers.

I got mine set to flash as well but apperently in the idrive (or even non i drive) menu where you adjust these flash settings you should have the option of selecting 'acoustic signal sound' (according to U.S. members)

Thanks for the feed back. Any one else with more information??
The acoustic signal for the alarm lock is not currently available on UK e90s.
For those with idrive, a future Progman update may well add the facility, but I'm afraid I don't know for sure.

Quote:
...One strange thing it says in the manual (in some countries) if you hold the boot unlock button it triggers a panic alarm. I don't think this applies to the UK - anyone know?

Also, not sure if it only applies to the coupe, but if you press the unlock button on the remote twice, when you open a door the window goes about 3/4 of the way down then goes back up when you close the door (dealer says this is useful for getting in/out of car in tight spaces). If you hold the unlock button in the windows go all the way down.
The panic alarm is triggered by holding down the boot unlock button for a few seconds- it works well- I've scared a good few people with it!

On the e90s, if you've left any windows open after leaving the car, you can just hold onto the lock button & all windows will close whilst you've got your finger on it.
Our American friends seem to be more bothered with with 'window roll down' feature which works when you hold down the unlock button- that would be nice in the summer, if we ever had days as hot as Floyd will have next summer.

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2006, 03:12 PM   #10
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk
The panic alarm is triggered by holding down the boot unlock button for a few seconds- it works well- I've scared a good few people with it!
Viv
I've only held the boot unlock button for about 2 secs and nothing happens (even the boot doesn't unlock). I didn't want to upset the neighbours by activating the panic alarm. I'll need to try this again.
      12-27-2006, 03:30 PM   #11
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I've only held the boot unlock button for about 2 secs and nothing happens (even the boot doesn't unlock). I didn't want to upset the neighbours by activating the panic alarm. I'll need to try this again.
You do need to hold it down for a couple of secs (just to open the lid) then a couple more- do it & tell your nice neighbours you were carrying out your annual alarm inspection- if they're a bit on the old side, then perhaps a 2-minute warning!

Viv

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2006, 09:25 AM   #12
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
On the e90s, if you've left any windows open after leaving the car, you can just hold onto the lock button & all windows will close whilst you've got your finger on it.
Our American friends seem to be more bothered with with 'window roll down' feature which works when you hold down the unlock button- that would be nice in the summer, if we ever had days as hot as Floyd will have next summer.

All the best.

Viv
Oh, we're not bothered by the 'window roll down' feature. We're pissed because we don't have the 'window roll up' feature when you hold down the lock button.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2006, 09:33 AM   #13
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank
Oh, we're not bothered by the 'window roll down' feature. We're pissed because we don't have the 'window roll up' feature when you hold down the lock button.

Ok, this boot (trunk) open feature is doing my head in! If the car is unlocked (not alarmed), the boot release button works fine. Ok, now if the car is locked (alarm activated, red light under mirror flashing), holding the boot unlock button on the remote only makes the Start/Stop button light up... and nothing else! I've held it for about 3 secs. Anybody got anything to say about this, please feel free to get it off your chest
      12-28-2006, 10:02 AM   #14
Bravecat
Enlisted Member
England
Rep
Drives: 330d Msport, Titainium Silver

I know what you mean...

On my E60, pressing the boot unlock button, unlocked the boot straight away, no need to unlock the car first. On early models this was quite sensitive and many owners found they returned to their car with the boot inadvertently open, I did not have this happen. With mine, you had to give a positive push and I liked the way my E60 unlocked the boot easily without first unlocking the car.

When I got my E90, the sales guy asked me to open the boot, I pressed the boot unlock and nothing happened, he said the car had to be first unlocked, “didn’t I know that?” (I did not but it was different to the E60)…

It seams that in some markets this feature is not set by default, strange since the E60 had it in the UK.

As for the panic feature, this did not work on my E60 either. Again only available in some markets….

I’m not sure if either of these features can be programmed by the dealer, I will ask when it goes in for a service…. That’s not for a while so maybe someone else will beat me to it…

BTW, i don't get a confirmation beeb with the alrm....
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2006, 10:08 AM   #15
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
On the Z4, if it was locked and you held the boot unlock for about 2 secs, it unlocked the boot and the alarm led flashed much quicker (twice a sec) to show that the rest of the car was alarmed but the boot wasn't. When you closed the boot again the alarm led returned to normal.

So it looks like you first need to unlock/de-arm the car and then hold the boot unlock to open the boot. Why is the start button lighting up though?
      12-28-2006, 06:38 PM   #16
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravecat
I know what you mean...

On my E60, pressing the boot unlock button, unlocked the boot straight away, no need to unlock the car first. On early models this was quite sensitive and many owners found they returned to their car with the boot inadvertently open, I did not have this happen. With mine, you had to give a positive push and I liked the way my E60 unlocked the boot easily without first unlocking the car.

When I got my E90, the sales guy asked me to open the boot, I pressed the boot unlock and nothing happened, he said the car had to be first unlocked, “didn’t I know that?” (I did not but it was different to the E60)…

It seams that in some markets this feature is not set by default, strange since the E60 had it in the UK.

As for the panic feature, this did not work on my E60 either. Again only available in some markets….

I’m not sure if either of these features can be programmed by the dealer, I will ask when it goes in for a service…. That’s not for a while so maybe someone else will beat me to it…

BTW, i don't get a confirmation beeb with the alrm....
And don't forget that in the e60 the boot actually 'opens' it doesn't just unlatch.

I think it's somewhat pathetic that the e90 boot doesn't do the same ... does BMW see the boot actually opening as a luxury feature of something?

I guess they would have saved a tenner or so on the price of the gas struts - on a £30K car - arghhh
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2006, 06:48 PM   #17
MonacoBimm
Banned
Panama
Rep
Drives: Sapp. Black 330i(2nd e90)

Yeah. My car has the oem alarm, and it doesnt emit any beeping sound when un/locking doors. How can I have this beep?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2006, 08:33 AM   #18
London320d
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 320dSE

Back to the original question.

There are "noise polution" regualtions (in the UK) about alarm durations and sounds - I suspect that arm/disarm beeps would come under these regs. Hence they are disabled in the car firmware for UK models.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2006, 12:09 PM   #19
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport MY20

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]
[QUOTE=vivekk]

I can't seem to get this Panic alarm to work. I found out the "window roll down" feature when I returned to the car (only had the car a few days) and found windows open!

Now I know how they open and close will use it in summer.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2006, 02:30 PM   #20
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Ok, this boot (trunk) open feature is doing my head in! If the car is unlocked (not alarmed), the boot release button works fine. Ok, now if the car is locked (alarm activated, red light under mirror flashing), holding the boot unlock button on the remote only makes the Start/Stop button light up... and nothing else! I've held it for about 3 secs. Anybody got anything to say about this, please feel free to get it off your chest
I've only ever tried the boot unlock & 'panic' button when the car has been unlocked- never when it has been locked....so I think your car is working just fine Z4!

So, if you need to set off the panic alarm, make sure the car is unlocked first!

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2006, 03:44 PM   #21
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Quote:
So, if you need to set off the panic alarm, make sure the car is unlocked first!

All the best.

Viv
I think the important thing is to remember not to panic (or even make the car panic )

Cheers,
Gordon.
      12-29-2006, 05:39 PM   #22
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by London320d
Back to the original question.

There are "noise polution" regualtions (in the UK) about alarm durations and sounds - I suspect that arm/disarm beeps would come under these regs. Hence they are disabled in the car firmware for UK models.
Nice try ... but every other make of car has an audible signal for lock / unlock. So this CANNOT be the reason.
Appreciate 0