Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Advice needed (RFT vs non-RFT) + positive RFT story

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

12-25-2006, 08:01 PM   #1
Macfreak7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 330i MT

Thumbs up Advice needed (RFT vs non-RFT) + positive RFT story

Here's a positive story about those damn controversial run flat tires, at the end of which i'd like some suggestions.

I recently took my car in for it's second scheduled maintainence since it has about 31k miles on it. My SA suggested I replace my rear tires(RFTs) only due to low tread on it. However I didn't go ahead with it because i was about to take a trip up to SF from San Diego and didn't want to focus on replacing just my rear tires (since i eventually want to switch to non-RFT, and wanted to research it a little before buying anything). So i decide to take the risk by driving up and then getting newer tires after the trip.

On the way back about 160 miles from LA, the FTM lights up in red indicating loss of pressure in one of the tires. In my mind I start contemplating what my options might be and what i should do knowing i can drive another 150ish miles at a lower speed thanks to the reinforced tire, enough to get me to LA or a BMW dealership, but that didn't seem like such a bright idea. Fortunately I see a sign on for a "tire repair" shop about 2 miles away. I decide to slow down and have the tire inspected. I drive off the freeway and inspect the tires.. one of them is at 16psi, and losing air. Another 160 miles to LA at 50mph might take too long and be too risky, so I take it to the tire repair shop and have the tire repaired. There was a nail in the rear driver's side tire but it didn't rip through the inside wall. So the tire is repaired for 15 bucks, I initialize the FTM and all's well as I'm back on my merry way to LA.

Now, a few observations, and hypothetical situations.
Firstly, am I right in guessing that the nail got stuck in there due to low tread on the tires?

Second and more importantly, what if i didn't have RFTs??
I would have to call AAA or BMW assist, have the car towed to that tire repair shop and then either have the tire fixed, or replaced. In either case, having RFTs was a lot more convenient. Even more convenient than having to repair the tire temporarily myself if i owned a mobility kit or whatever.

As much some of us might hate RFTs, it did save my ass in this situation. After this experience, i'm back to debating weather or not I should get newer tires that are run flats or just get non run flats, because the only reason why the nail got stuck in there was due to low tread on the tire. Had I actually replaced the tires before I made the trip, the puncture PROBABLY wouldn't have happened.
Also, I think these run flats did rather well for 31k miles including 1 track event.

So what would you guys suggest? I'm still leaning towards non RFTs and replacing all four tires soon.
Nonetheless, here's a major to RFTs.

TIA.
      12-25-2006, 08:12 PM   #2
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfreak7
Now, a few observations, and hypothetical situations.
Firstly, am I right in guessing that the nail got stuck in there due to low tread on the tires?
not really, sometimes a nail can get in your tire and just stick in the tread (not puncture the seal), actually i should say SCREWS sometimes just stick in the tread, nails are to long and pretty much always go all the way through

Quote:
Second and more importantly, what if i didn't have RFTs??
I would have to call AAA or BMW assist, have the car towed to that tire repair shop and then either have the tire fixed, or replaced. In either case, having RFTs was a lot more convenient. Even more convenient than having to repair the tire temporarily myself if i owned a mobility kit or whatever.
no, in your case the rft didnt really save you, like you said it was slowly leaking air, you could have pumped it back up and driven to a tire place just like you did (since you have TPMS you would have known before you had to pump it anyway), the onyl diffrence is the RFT can keep going even after all the tire pressure is lost

Quote:
As much some of us might hate RFTs, it did save my ass in this situation. After this experience, i'm back to debating weather or not I should get newer tires that are run flats or just get non run flats, because the only reason why the nail got stuck in there was due to low tread on the tire. Had I actually replaced the tires before I made the trip, the puncture PROBABLY wouldn't have happened.
Also, I think these run flats did rather well for 31k miles including 1 track event.

So what would you guys suggest? I'm still leaning towards non RFTs and replacing all four tires soon.
Nonetheless, here's a major to RFTs.

TIA.
i love this paragraph, you asked some questions and then went ahead and answered them yourself (with the wrong answers though) the only diffrence with run flats is if you hit something that makes a huge gash in your tires and you lose pressure very quickly, nails screws ECT that cause slow leaks youll be able to do the same thing RFT or no RFT, the nail would have punctured your tire low tread or not

the real question is why DONT you want RFT, weight, performance?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2006, 01:10 AM   #3
Macfreak7
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the different perspective.
I've been reading about how people seem to find non run flats to provide a better ride in terms of smoothness and performance. So yeah, i decided to try regular high performance tires instead of RFTs due to performance, and also cost, even tho. cost isn't really that much of a factor.
      12-26-2006, 03:55 AM   #4
dazzab
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i E90

The low tread depth is not a factor. I had a nail puncture one of my Bridgestone RE50A RFT's after just 3,000km. But by that stage I had already decided that the RFT's were not for me and I replaced all 4 tyres with S-03 Pole Positions.

I have just ordered a tyre mobility kit from the US as a back-up to my can of trye sealant that sits in the trunk.

A lot of the roads / tollways over here are built in large concrete sections and when I would hit the joints between the two sections with the RFT's it felt like somebody was trying to wrestle the sterring wheel from my hands.

In comparison the S-03's are superb and I barely notice the joints anymore.

However, after reading alot of comments on this forum it seems Michelin PS2's would be a further improvement as they offer more grip and are a few pounds lighter lighter than the S-03's which would give your suspension an easier life and in theory improve the ride by reducing the unsprung weight.

Having said that if you are regularly driving hundreds of miles away from home you might feel more secure with the RFT's.
      12-26-2006, 09:24 AM   #5
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Which (Bridgestone or Continental) RFT did you have originally?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2006, 11:34 AM   #6
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

also, a lot of people dont know but you can pump up car tires with a simple bicycle pump (wow right) so if your really worreid carry one around with you in the trunk and you can drive around with a slow leakign tire (nail or screw) for quite some time

like i said RFT are only good for massive air leaks

dazzad, before you switched tires did you have a good feel for the point where you lost your grip? how big was the diffrence going to the s-03s
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2006, 12:23 PM   #7
dazzab
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i E90

I never felt a shortage of grip when using the RE050A's it was the ride comfort (or lack of it) that was really poor.
This was important as I am in the process of lowering the car 25mm with a Koni Sport kit and the ride would have been even more compromised. Also fitted 18" Wheels and went from 225/45 to a 225/40 profile tyre.

To be 100% honest I can't tell if the S-03's offer more grip than the RE050's as I have never pushed the limit for either tyre. Both corner and turn in well, braking seems the same, but ride quality is far better.

The S-03's also weigh a couple of pounds less but unless you Michael Schumacher who's gonna notice the suspension working more effectively or the reduced gyroscopic effect?
      12-26-2006, 02:21 PM   #8
Jaws
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i mt

I take it you are from California. If I lived some place where the roads are like glass, I wouldn't have a problem with RFTs. But, the stiff sidewalls of the RFTs transmit every road imperfection right to my butt. They just do not offer the same type of cushioning capability that non-RFT tires offer. IMO the RFTs didn't save you from anything.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2006, 03:42 PM   #9
Macfreak7
Private First Class
Rep

Well, the thing is i've never had a flat, or puncture of this sort before. So it's a new experience i guess. Having RFTs for this, i have no clue how a regular tire would react to a nail in there. Of course one could say "it depends on various factors" but if i could have had the same luck with non run flats then there's no doubt, i'm going for regular tires.
Just like people have said, I do find the ride a little bumpy due to the run flats even tho. performance isn't bad at all (took it to one track event).
So overall, these have worked really well and lasted longer than many people expect them to. I guess i'm just going to experiment with non-run flats for my next set, and maybe revert to RFTs later.

btw, UncleWede, these were the OE bridgestones RE050A RFTs that came with the sport package.