E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > bmw ppk.....tuners please help

07-15-2010, 03:37 PM   #1
demented
Rep
Drives: 335I

bmw ppk.....tuners please help

hi guys i just got the bmw performance power kit installed and i have ran into a problem. previously i had my car flashed by a company here in south Africa and once i had the ppk fitted,it had obviously removed my flash tune and replaced it with the bmw performance software which is all good,but now when i took my car to get re-flashed my tuner says the car cant be tuned as it has some sort of a "tuner protection"...was just wondering if anybody has had the same or similar experience and also if i could maybe get some help from the guys at Vishnu or juice box I'd really appreciate it

thanking you all in advanced
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 03:40 PM   #2
Forcefed3
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [1.00]
America F*** Yeah!!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by demented View Post
hi guys i just got the bmw performance power kit installed and i have ran into a problem. previously i had my car flashed by a company here in south Africa and once i had the ppk fitted,it had obviously removed my flash tune and replaced it with the bmw performance software which is all good,but now when i took my car to get re-flashed my tuner says the car cant be tuned as it has some sort of a "tuner protection"...was just wondering if anybody has had the same or similar experience and also if i could maybe get some help from the guys at Vishnu or juice box I'd really appreciate it

thanking you all in advanced
Your flash tuner needs to update his flashing software to allow him to reflash a newly flashed DME that was flashed with the newest BMW flash.

-The Flash
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 03:54 PM   #4
demented
Rep

[QUOTE=shiv@vishnu;7666715]Your flash tuner needs to update his flashing software to allow him to reflash a newly flashed DME that was flashed with the newest BMW flash.

thanks shiv...just one quetion if i were to go the route of buying one of your plug and play systems would i have any problems or would it work with the ppk
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 03:56 PM   #5
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
thanks shiv...just one quetion if i were to go the route of buying one of your plug and play systems would i have any problems or would it work with the ppk
No problem at all.

shiv

Last edited by OpenFlash; 07-15-2010 at 04:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 04:01 PM   #6
M&M
Captain
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Boosted Beemers!

Your tuner should be able to circumvent the anti-tuning & flash a file even with PPK.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 05:08 PM   #7
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

yeah the newest BMW software are crypted so he has to crack that first like GIAC did for example.
Otherwise just go Procede V4
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 06:31 PM   #8
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
We have been told that the PPK fan requires the PPK flash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
The upgraded fan needs the new software to work properly, because the electrical diagram is different (it has a supplemental relay which is connected to the ECU).
If the OP installs a GIAC or the original incompetent tuner's flash, will the fan still work? Could there be any problems with a piggyback?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 07:07 PM   #9
imperium2000
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 Coupe

At present, no flash has the ability to make use of the secondary radiator. If the OP reflashes, the just wasted his money on the PPK.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 08:29 AM   #10
demented
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperium2000 View Post
At present, no flash has the ability to make use of the secondary radiator. If the OP reflashes, the just wasted his money on the PPK.
thank you imperium for this new insight....keeping what you said in mind what do u think my options are....should i go with a proceed system or should i go the route of jb3 would i encounter any problems with either one of them?...to my knowledge GIAC is a flash tune and i don't know if anybody here in Johannesburg does that flash....sorry for all the quetions its only when i here you guys talk it makes me realize how little i know...thank you and thanks to everybody who has posted so far
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 12:41 PM   #11
imperium2000
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
thank you imperium for this new insight....keeping what you said in mind what do u think my options are....should i go with a proceed system or should i go the route of jb3 would i encounter any problems with either one of them?...to my knowledge GIAC is a flash tune and i don't know if anybody here in Johannesburg does that flash....sorry for all the quetions its only when i here you guys talk it makes me realize how little i know...thank you and thanks to everybody who has posted so far
I believe that both JB and Procede may have custom map for the PPK.
I would suggest you PM shiv who frequents this site for information on the Procede and go to the N54tech.com site to contact Terry who works on the JB3. I believe they've both had some experience on the PPK.

Basically it is subjective opinion between JB and Procede. They've been battling it out for years and it has gotten very heated and very vindictive at times.
Here is a basic rundown on the tunes:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374508

One of the most basic tunes I've seen used for the PPK is the JB+, which will just simply increase the boost and power output of your car without too much complicated problems. I'm pretty sure there is a special JB+ for the PPK. Just be careful, BMW has more software in place to find tunes.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 12:47 PM   #12
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I believe that both JB and Procede may have custom map for the PPK.
I would suggest you PM shiv who frequents this site for information on the Procede and go to the N54tech.com site to contact Terry who works on the JB3. I believe they've both had some experience on the PPK.

Basically it is subjective opinion between JB and Procede. They've been battling it out for years and it has gotten very heated and very vindictive at times.
Here is a basic rundown on the tunes:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374508
Is it really subjective still?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 12:53 PM   #13
imperium2000
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Is it really subjective still?
I just think the Juice Box has a cuter name

I'll let you tuner guys battle it out. I just stand by and watch the horsepower soar.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 01:00 PM   #14
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I just think the Juice Box has a cuter name

I'll let you tuner guys battle it out. I just stand by and watch the horsepower soar.
lol.. ok. I can't argue with that. But seriously, the days of power escalation are long gone. At this point, power is limited by turbos capacity and how hard you (or the tuner) want to push things.

Instead, what is going to define the benefits of any particular tune is HOW the power is produced (how it conforms to sound engine tuning theory), HOW easy it is for the user to extract this power (autotuning vs custom fiddling/tuning), what safety features are in place (a lot vs not many), what advanced features/tools are available, and what tune is more stable/trouble-free in the field. Despite what some would have you believe, we are comparing a boost controller to a fully integrated, self-diagnostic engine control computer. That's pretty objective I think.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 01:11 PM   #15
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Quote:
lol.. ok. I can't argue with that. But seriously, the days of power escalation are long gone. At this point, power is limited by turbos capacity and how hard you (or the tuner) want to push things.

Instead, what is going to define the benefits of any particular tune is HOW the power is produced (how it conforms to sound engine tuning theory), HOW easy it is for the user to extract this power (autotuning vs custom fiddling/tuning), what safety features are in place (a lot vs not many), what advanced features/tools are available, and what tune is more stable/trouble-free in the field. Despite what some would have you believe, we are comparing a boost controller to a fully integrated, self-diagnostic engine control computer. That's pretty objective I think.

Shiv
Blah Blah Blah.....

Where's our new Firmware
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 01:13 PM   #16
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by joec500 View Post
Blah Blah Blah.....

Where's our new Firmware
In an email addressed to over 400 people that is waiting for me to hit the "send" button. Just waiting to hear back from 2 pre-beta testers I emailed the firmware out to earlier this morning. Hey, i'm cautious

shiv
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 02:37 PM   #17
shifterboy45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Quote:

Shiv
OP -- i am not into tuning BMW's, but i am a advocate of tuning (and not to say either of these guys do a bad or good job @ it...) but when you find "sensible" horsepower- extracted from a decent engine platform, that can be costly if done wrong, or pushing the envelope a little too hard to see its limits -- doesnt equate to a tuning philosiphy that is coherent...

use your best judgement with your considerations -- being the best does not alway equal to being first. --

but i do like what shiv said... cuz its "sensible".. Tuning is learned one step at a time... and sometimes they are "baby steps"

just my $.02
Appreciate 0