E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > cost to re-code an ECU to my car

07-15-2010, 10:24 AM   #1
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

cost to re-code an ECU to my car

So I have a car with an MSD 80 and have been getting sporadic mis-fires, even after injector replacements, plug replacements, cam replacements, fuel pump replacement, and even turbo replacements. After reading around I have seen that there is a possibility there could be some issue with the ECU. I know I can pick up a used MSD 81 for around 300 dollars from a wrecking yard.

I was curious to know what the labor cost would BMW charge to re-encode the ECU to my car. Also...will they even re-encode an ECU that I didn't buy from the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
shifterboy45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec500 View Post
So I have a car with an MSD 80 and have been getting sporadic mis-fires, even after injector replacements, plug replacements, cam replacements, fuel pump replacement, and even turbo replacements. After reading around I have seen that there is a possibility there could be some issue with the ECU. I know I can pick up a used MSD 81 for around 300 dollars from a wrecking yard.

I was curious to know what the labor cost would BMW charge to re-encode the ECU to my car. Also...will they even re-encode an ECU that I didn't buy from the dealer?
remember some components are VIN specific...
binary coded information for the DWS (anti-theft feature) is embedded in the DME --

when a new DME is ordered by the dealer it is special order and vin specific to the car requested ..

just think if a guy stole your car, and swapped DME in the car to get it started .. that would be a pain, heh?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifterboy45 View Post
remember some components are VIN specific...
binary coded information for the DWS (anti-theft feature) is embedded in the DME --

when a new DME is ordered by the dealer it is special order and vin specific to the car requested ..

just think if a guy stole your car, and swapped DME in the car to get it started .. that would be a pain, heh?
Damn them!! I guess it's a $1,500 deal regardless of how I look at it. Gone are the days when you could just swap DME's on the fly. *sigh*
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 04:36 PM   #4
shifterboy45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec500 View Post
Damn them!! I guess it's a $1,500 deal regardless of how I look at it. Gone are the days when you could just swap DME's on the fly. *sigh*
no doubt ... those were the days .. when all you needed was a MoDIC and a fresh Motronic off the shelf.. but remember too, those DME's would only allow 8 attempts to encode it... after that toast

with every feature upgrade comes some type of compromise....

but back then you had go have a HofCo or Vocalarm installed too.. oh and TeleTrack (pacbell) or Lojack .... oh those were the service days ......

DWS ASSIST SVR --- what next
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifterboy45 View Post
no doubt ... those were the days .. when all you needed was a MoDIC and a fresh Motronic off the shelf.. but remember too, those DME's would only allow 8 attempts to encode it... after that toast

with every feature upgrade comes some type of compromise....

but back then you had go have a HofCo or Vocalarm installed too.. oh and TeleTrack (pacbell) or Lojack .... oh those were the service days ......

DWS ASSIST SVR --- what next
Yah...I used to own two ECU's when I had a B5 S4, just swapped entire ECU's when going in for service....
Appreciate 0