BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-15-2010, 03:07 AM   #1
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 128i Sport /w PDC and ComAcc

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
Thumbs up ECU Upgrade!

Renovated 07/15/10

So I've been doing research on performance chips, piggy-backs and flashes. I update this 1st post as I come along them. I am also getting as many links from other authors into this thread to sort of compile them. If you find any other links that should be in here please let me know.

Lets begin

DS-MOTORSPORT

Here is what I've found at http://www.ds-motorsport.de/

I would like to add that they have tunes for many bimmers.

Dear Mr. Seeley,

many thanks for your inquiry. With pleasure we offer to you:

ECU-software for BMW 128i (US), on 270 CHP - price 1,800, - € minus VAT tax reduction.

For the tuning we need 1 working day. Please, make an appointment with us.
At the moment appointments are possible in approx. 2-3 weeks.
We hope this is an interesting offer for you.

Best regards

DS motorsport GmbH
i.A. Alexandra Hartmann
Hommeswiese 3
D-57258 Freudenberg

WINTERTUNING

Here is what I found at http://www.wintertuning.de/

They have a tune similar if not the same as DS-MOTORSPORT

BUT, their price is only 798 euro. I am currently talking with them and will most likely buy it since it seems to be the best bang for my buck.

BMS POWERBOX

I most likely would not get this because of this post. Also, I don't know about the dyno's from the company that makes it.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321802

OE TUNING AKA GINTANI

The dynos seem to be showing an ok increase in power but still wintertuning seems to be winning with HP per Buck. I would love to see a 128 dyno though. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398649

ETS-POWER
http://www.ets-power.de/
230Chp to 270CHP with exhaust. You can get it dynoed there as well.

I got mine Tuned at ETS power for about $576 and below is a dyno I got. Its about 242WHP.
Attached Images

Black Badge - Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 18" - ASA AR1 18" - B&M Short Shifter - aFe Stage 2 CAI Pro 5 R - Gloss Black Kidney Grills - Performance Pedal Kit - CDV delete - Custom Tint - Bastuck Exhaust w/o Silencer - Custom Tune

Last edited by B_2_B_P; 09-01-2010 at 07:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 08:03 AM   #2
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
The frustrating thing is many people have gotten tunes yet the ones with good tunes, i.e. ds-motorsport, wintertuning and hopefully oe tuning, DON'T POST RESULT. I have been searching everywhere I can. If any one has ACTUAL 3rd party results with tunes please let me know. Also, BMS Powerbox is a joke.
Black Badge - Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 18" - ASA AR1 18" - B&M Short Shifter - aFe Stage 2 CAI Pro 5 R - Gloss Black Kidney Grills - Performance Pedal Kit - CDV delete - Custom Tint - Bastuck Exhaust w/o Silencer - Custom Tune
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 08:38 AM   #3
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Giulia QV

BMS might be a joke, but it costs less than $300 and it's available world wide.
On the other hand shipping the car to Freudenberg from Toronto and paying $2000+ for the tune is not much to look forward to.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 08:57 AM   #4
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
Oh btw you can ship your ECU to them and tune is not 2k+ its around 800 Euro which is around 842 US dollars after the VAT is reduced. VAT = Value added tax and we don't pay that since we don't live in Germany. FYI VAT in Germany is 19% XD. They have a quick turn-around from what I hear. BMS showed a DECREASE in torque by 2 and an increase in HP by less than 2 or so. So what you are saying? Is an overall decrease in power worth around $300? I'll give you that for half that price. =P

Last edited by B_2_B_P; 07-15-2010 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 09:53 PM   #5
chylld
Major
Rep
Drives: G08 iX3

Garage List
thanks for compiling this info b2bp. i've also been looking for a suitable power increase for my australian 125i which is even more robbed of power than your 128i!! (we only have 215bhp)

firstly, i have the bms powerbox in my car and although i haven't done any dyno tests, i have done several timed runs and with the pbx it is about half a second faster (see results here). it is a very small increase in power but 1) it's cheap (only about AU$300) and 2) it allows you to remap the throttle to any of 3 settings, and that is the best benefit. if you have an auto, the throttle remap is like the difference between 'D' and 'DS' mode... like having a 'DS2' mode

i looked at ds motorsport and wintertuning as well, but unfortunately for me these places are too far to send my ECU without me getting extremely panicked! oetuning is better for me in this regard since it is a flash-at-home device that they can ship out, however they have yet to confirm compatibility with my 125i.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 12:27 AM   #6
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
Yea I agree about the OE Tuning being better for you. I think its better in general if they can prove to me they can get gains like Germany. The thing I like about OE Tuning is the E-Z Flash concept. I would love to log my data and for them to tune and send me an upgraded tune.

I will be getting my exhaust soon, which will be my last performance upgrade for awhile, so maybe I don't need that EZ-flash. When Winter tuning responds to my e-mail about the gains from an intake and exhaust I will make my final decission. If and when I get this or a similar tune; I promise to get you all an actual review. I know one person who got this tune from Winter tuning but he failed to give a review.

BTW i don't know what you are talking about D and DS mode. Do you have an auto? I have a manual.

P.S. DYNO time is way to expensive. $100/h for just the dyno and $125/h for tuning. Rediculous.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 12:31 AM   #7
chylld
Major
Rep
Drives: G08 iX3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_2_B_P View Post
If and when I get this or a similar tune; I promise to get you all an actual review. I know one person who got this tune from Winter tuning but he failed to give a review.

BTW i don't know what you are talking about D and DS mode. Do you have an auto? I have a manual.
Definitely look forward to a review of the winter tune, whether from your friend or yourself!

D and DS modes are options for the auto box, so you would not have them in a manual. the throttle response in DS mode is much livelier and makes D mode feel like a slug. adding the powerbox's throttle remapping makes DS mode feel like a slug!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 09:03 PM   #8
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Very good work! The problem seems to be that only the BMS PBX is in the USA while all the other ones are in europe(the best gains). It would be awesome if we could get a tune for 500-700 in the USA without having to go to europe or send them our ECU. I know on the VW GTI, the APR tune gives about 50hp/torque just the tune, and there are various dealers that give them out in local citys so that it is convenient. They also have trials of the ECU. I wish we had more options!!
      07-18-2010, 04:45 AM   #9
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
Yea I hear ya. I guess I'm a little lucky that I am stationed in Germany.

On a side note, I found a german 1er forum that has a whole list of tuning places in germany. I am going to try and head to Trier and talk to one next friday or saturday.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 04:48 AM   #10
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
So I talked with the tuner at Trier, GE and He can only get me a 15HP increase which is not nearly as good as the wintertuning 40hp.

Some questions though. The reason I am asking the following questions is it hard to have actual conversations with wintertuning since I don't speak German. I mean his English is good...just not great.

If I get this tune should they give me some proof that I got the 40HP gain?

Is this just a crack or is it a crack then tune?

If a crack then tune would my intake and inbound exhaust make a difference in power?

If at one point I add more power from various parts could I tune on top of it?

If I got FI(forced induction) would it be HP added on to the existing 270hp?

What if I get maint done and they reflash it or they update the ECU? Will I need the crack/tune again? If so how can I get it back again since I'm moving back to America in Dec 2010

I hope to get people to respond that have done this type of crack.

Once I get these answers I will make my final decision. My main concern is the reflash/update from the dealership, since I will be taking it in first thing when I get back to the states for the reoccurring maint.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 06:41 AM   #11
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

"If I got FI(forced induction) would it be HP added on to the existing 270hp?"

130i is already doing this without FI but with just 3stage intake and some injector difference.. Did you mean DI by any chance?
      07-26-2010, 09:52 AM   #12
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evice View Post
"If I got FI(forced induction) would it be HP added on to the existing 270hp?"

130i is already doing this without FI but with just 3stage intake and some injector difference.. Did you mean DI by any chance?
I meant turbo/supercharger.

I would also like to know about if I can do the conversion of the IM and get wintertuning to tune me to what they have the 130i at, which is 289hp.

These are all questions I will ask them. Also, I hope some of you can help me out.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 10:26 AM   #13
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Just an extra information:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...89#post7720989

There is ton of stuff going on here, wasn't sure if you already saw it.
      07-26-2010, 10:32 AM   #14
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
Oh yea I have been reading this !@#$ out of that. Thank you though.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 12:29 PM   #15
Greenkirby21
United_States
Rep

I am also curious as well, although right now I can't afford the flash : (!

If the 128i has 230 hp stock, does the tuning give you 40+ stock, so you get 270 stock? but lets say you have a CAI, so about 235-240 hp, if the tune is only software, it should be the same gains, so you theoretically should get about 280 hp.

Although after a certain point the software reaches its limit, i know there are different "stages" with the vw gti. For example, stage 1 is just software and gives you to 240, but then stage 2 is CAI + exhaust and gives you 270ish, then stage 3 is with intercooler and more goodies etc, wondering if its the same for the 128i?

edit: incase I wasn't clear, i think the software is different for each stage, for example if you are with stage 1 and then get intake and exhaust, then you need to be reflashed to stage 2 for optimal gains, however, if you stay with stage 1, you still get better gains, but not as much cause stage 2 is programmed for the extra stuff
      07-26-2010, 04:39 PM   #16
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
I am also curious as well, although right now I can't afford the flash : (!

If the 128i has 230 hp stock, does the tuning give you 40+ stock, so you get 270 stock? but lets say you have a CAI, so about 235-240 hp, if the tune is only software, it should be the same gains, so you theoretically should get about 280 hp.

Although after a certain point the software reaches its limit, i know there are different "stages" with the vw gti. For example, stage 1 is just software and gives you to 240, but then stage 2 is CAI + exhaust and gives you 270ish, then stage 3 is with intercooler and more goodies etc, wondering if its the same for the 128i?

edit: incase I wasn't clear, i think the software is different for each stage, for example if you are with stage 1 and then get intake and exhaust, then you need to be reflashed to stage 2 for optimal gains, however, if you stay with stage 1, you still get better gains, but not as much cause stage 2 is programmed for the extra stuff
I know the 130i can get 289hp with an after market exhaust but wintertuning said that I need nothing. Yes it is 40HP which in my case it will take me to 270HP. I have a Cold Air Intake and am getting my exhaust soon(custom built from magnaflow). I would say in the case of 125/128 the stage 2 would be with the stage 3 Intake Manifold. I'm sure you could always tune the original tune of 270 a little higher with the CAI and Exhaust. Of course those are the answers I'm looking for. I mean My main thing is if I can get the tune back on it if its over-written and if I can add on to the tune as if it were a stock 130...i.e I get a supercharger later on.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 05:06 AM   #17
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
OK I'm super happy. I have found the place I will being doing it.
It will be from 230 to 270HP with a dyno to prove. Once I get my exhaust and put it on I'll go and do it. I can not state the price so please don't ask. Its the best deal for me since I live about 30 min away from them. I'm super excited. Stupid exhaust...get here faster. I have no word from magnaflow of the ship date but they said about a week and a half ago that the exhaust will be finished in 1 - 2 weeks. I'm almost at that 2 week mark. I hope they get it to me soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 07:30 AM   #18
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_2_B_P View Post
OK I'm super happy. I have found the place I will being doing it.
It will be from 230 to 270HP with a dyno to prove. Once I get my exhaust and put it on I'll go and do it. I can not state the price so please don't ask. Its the best deal for me since I live about 30 min away from them. I'm super excited. Stupid exhaust...get here faster. I have no word from magnaflow of the ship date but they said about a week and a half ago that the exhaust will be finished in 1 - 2 weeks. I'm almost at that 2 week mark. I hope they get it to me soon.
So why can't you disclose the price? This place doesn't want more business?
      07-28-2010, 07:51 AM   #19
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
I am not discloseing the price because I went through a lot to get this discounted price. I have seen companies raise the price because they quoted a special price for special reasons and the person then told everyone that it's $$$. Its kinda cheating there kindness. Lets just say its less than wintertuning.com. Check the site out and e-mail/call them.

Just to let you know this is the best place in my book because of the following reasons.

1. There site looks nice and it has details of what you get i.e. Dynos, warrenties, etc.
2. When I called...they spoke great english and he answered all of my questions as if he was going to be doing the tune himself.
3. Best price. Its not inflated in my eyes.
4. Only 30~min away from Bitburg, GE

Last edited by B_2_B_P; 07-28-2010 at 08:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 07:53 AM   #20
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Do they need the car in their shop or can they ship a chip (within Europe)?
      07-28-2010, 08:07 AM   #21
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
Its an ECU tune and they need your car there or your ECU.

Bimmer-bob I edited post #20. It might answer some other Qs.

If anyone has any other questions please don't hesitate to ask. Many people on these forums have helped me so I want to spread the love. I don't know everything but I will give ya what I got.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 02:05 PM   #22
Greenkirby21
United_States
Rep

Do you have any idea how much HP it goes with just being stock? I think once you pull the gun and get the ecu upgrade, not only will a lot of 128i, but also 328i people will probably do it. Especially if you said it is less then wintertuning, which was around 750! If you are getting +40 HP for around 700, it is a great great great deal! I can't wait for videos/dynos! The company will probably get a lot of business.

All thats left is for me to get more money ^_^