E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Please need help! JB3 vs V4!

Closed Thread

07-14-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
Superman0150
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Please need help! JB3 vs V4!

Hello everyone! How's everyone doing? good good . Listen guys, I am getting my first 335i in about a month. Now I want this car to be powerful and fast! I did some research and I'm stuck on the JB3 and the procede v4. From what I found out the JB3 (I mean the most upgraded one, 2.0, I think haha) is more powerful and has more of a kick to it. Whereas the V4 is also powerful but is a smoother ride. Both of those matter to me. However the MOST IMPORTANT THING IS no one can find out I have this in the car. So I also need to know which one is will clear the data more efficiently so the dealer wont find out, I heard both do a pretty good job, which is why I'm stuck again. I also have no idea what maps are, which I'm sure is important towards the power of the car (It would also be great if someone could explain what the maps do to me). I also need to know about the updating issues? (I didn't even know that was possible haha). I'm brand new to engine modifying, and to maps and all of that crazy stuff. But I do like it very much, am excited, and willing to learn. So if any of you experienced people can help me, I will greatly greatly appreciate it! Thank you guys so much get back to me soon!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 02:54 PM   #2
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Generally, most people who made the switch run faster with the v4. And that is even before the release of Procede Autotuning which means that you don't have to fiddle with maps or adjustments. Just install and drive. No laptop needed to get max performance.

In terms of actual engine tuning, it's important to know that they are NOT equivalent. The jb3 is basically a piggyback boost controller with open loop boost control adjustments that relies on the factory DME's knock control system for all timing control duties.

While the Procede is effectively a CAN-based stand-alone boost control with closed loop fuel adjustability and 3D ignition timing control. This is why the Procede drives "smoothly" and consistently. This is because it doesn't not force the DME to run into any self protection modes. It is also why you don't hear Procede's tripping knock/glow ignition codes or underboost codes.

Full feature list is here: http://vishnutuningforum.com/viewforum.php?f=3

And an FAQ here: http://vishnutuningforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=26

These are the facts, regardless of any inherent bias that I have, perceived or otherwise

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 03:02 PM   #3
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

There are quite a few comparisons out there..including mine as of yesterday. I just made the switch to v4 and absolutely love it! If there's even a small inclination to mod further than a tune, the Procede is my first recommendation.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 03:06 PM   #4
Superman0150
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

It sounds like to me the JB3 is a little more simple than the V4. When I was doing research I read that the V4 is good if your modifying your engine a lot. And thats the thing, this is the ONLY thing I'm going to do to the engine. But the procede does sound much better, but not sure if its exactly what i need. How about installation?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 03:10 PM   #5
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman0150 View Post
It sounds like to me the JB3 is a little more simple than the V4. When I was doing research I read that the V4 is good if your modifying your engine a lot. And thats the thing, this is the ONLY thing I'm going to do to the engine. But the procede does sound much better, but not sure if its exactly what i need. How about installation?
This idea that you only need to properly tune an engine IF you bolt on an exhaust or install an intercooler is fundamentally flawed on so many levels. All the advanced features (progressive meth control, smart window switch for nitrous activation, dual channel wideband afr monitoring, etc,.) are nice for those are mode modified. But they are just conveniences. What separates the Procede from the jb3 is the basic way in which it control fuel, timing and boost. It's the basic things that define how good or not-so-good any given tune is. And they are independent of additional modifications (or lack thereof).

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 03:13 PM   #6
Forcefed3
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [1.00]
can you not read the other 1000 threads on this?
here you go
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=jb3+vs+v4

Quote:
Hello everyone! How's everyone doing? good good . Listen guys, I am getting my first 335i in about a month. Now I want this car to be powerful and fast! I did some research and I'm stuck on the JB3 and the procede v4. From what I found out the JB3 (I mean the most upgraded one, 2.0, I think haha) is more powerful and has more of a kick to it. Whereas the V4 is also powerful but is a smoother ride. Both of those matter to me. However the MOST IMPORTANT THING IS no one can find out I have this in the car. So I also need to know which one is will clear the data more efficiently so the dealer wont find out, I heard both do a pretty good job, which is why I'm stuck again. I also have no idea what maps are, which I'm sure is important towards the power of the car (It would also be great if someone could explain what the maps do to me). I also need to know about the updating issues? (I didn't even know that was possible haha). I'm brand new to engine modifying, and to maps and all of that crazy stuff. But I do like it very much, am excited, and willing to learn. So if any of you experienced people can help me, I will greatly greatly appreciate it! Thank you guys so much get back to me soon!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 03:13 PM   #7
vettegator005
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C5 corvette 424rwhp

From what ive read if all your doing is adding a tune then either will do the job just fine and you will be able to clear everything so the dealer wont know.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 03:17 PM   #8
EastCoast335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 | 2008 335i

Quote:
If you want both sides of the story JB3 vs Procede... You should also go check out the n54tech forum.
Thats the forum that supports JB3.
Youre basically only getting one side of the story here.
Be an informed buyer and listen to both sides before making a decision.
Congrats on the new car!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 03:22 PM   #9
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

I, and I'm sure many people on here said when our cars were new, "The tune is the ONLY thing I'm doing to the engine!" Haha that won't last very long until you feel the power and the mod bug bites. I predict you'll have all basic mods within a year. Shiv is right about the way the PROcede properly tunes the engine. It's one of those deals where the JB3 will suffice and give you plenty of power...but it's not nearly the best, or proper/ideally safe way.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 03:26 PM   #10
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Plenty of these threads to read up on. But I'll add the JB3 is well proven and the most widely used N54 piggyback platform in use today. It's safe, easy to use, powerful, and very flexible. Some of the recent firmware changes that have come out on the drivability end are simply awesome. For example with 7/4 you can now setup the throttle sensitivity directly from mild to wild. If you haven't driven the 7/4 firmware you haven't driven a JB3.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #11
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Plenty of these threads to read up on. But I'll add the JB3 is well proven and the most widely used N54 piggyback platform in use today.
These claims of "most widely used" don't sit well with me unless you have proof. Which you don't. Yet you and Terry keep on making that ridiculous claim. Why?

But if, by most widely used, you mean the most frequently sold used in the classifieds, I'll agree with you. Because there are nearly 30 used jb3s for sale in the first 3 pages of the classifieds.

Quote:
safe, easy to use, powerful, and very flexible. Some of the recent firmware changes that have come out on the drivability end are simply awesome. For example with 7/4 you can now setup the throttle sensitivity directly from mild to wild. If you haven't driven the 7/4 firmware you haven't driven a JB3.
But is it safer, more easy to use, more powerful and more flexible than the Procede? This is a comparison right?

shiv

Last edited by OpenFlash; 07-14-2010 at 03:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 03:50 PM   #12
AltecBX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi Sedan; BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
But if, by most widely used, you mean the most frequently sold used in the classifieds, I'll agree with you. Because there are nearly 30 used jb3s for sale in the first 3 pages of the classifieds.
Wow, you're right. 10 JB3 & 2 Procede.
That's 4 out 5 tunes that get sold used is a JB3.
AR Design Catless DP | BMS DCI + OCC | ETS 5 FMIC | Alpina B3 Trans Flash |235/265 19" Michelin PSS
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 03:53 PM   #13
Forcefed3
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [1.00]
Get The Jb3!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 04:03 PM   #14
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltecBX View Post
Wow, you're right. 10 JB3 & 2 Procede.
That's 4 out 5 tunes that get sold used is a JB3.
lol
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 05:28 PM   #15
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
These claims of "most widely used" don't sit well with me unless you have proof. Which you don't. Yet you and Terry keep on making that ridiculous claim. Why?

But is it safer, more easy to use, more powerful and more flexible than the Procede? This is a comparison right?

shiv
By most widely used I mean there are in excess of 4500 JB3s in use. Even more if you lump in the private labeled versions. I recall you had challenged the sales claim before but were unwilling to participate in an independent audit. Have you changed your mind on that? I remember last time this came up I thought it was pretty strange of you to challenge the claim but then later when no one was looking be unwilling to follow up on it. And yes being the most popular tuner in use the JB3 is bought and sold often. It's quite a commodity.

By safe I mean there has never been a report of motor damage linked to the JB3 except one customer who was running 22psi on large turbos on pump gas. And that includes several JB3 customers who really push things to the limit like Hotrod (11.3@133, the worlds quickest and fastest 335i), Oldbooster (11.2@127, the worlds quickest and fastest 135i), etc. And that also includes thousands of customers who run around with highly modified cars on 91 and 93 octane fuel and hundreds running around with the JB3 methanol integration. In comparison I could point to 2 cases of motor damage linked to your "safe tunes" both running stock turbos without meth. What should be safe setups.

Anyway this isn't to say more bells and whistles won't be a nice addition to the JB3. They're coming soon.

Mike

PS. For those interested in what BMS is working on for JB3 upgrades you can follow along here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=400883

Last edited by Mike@N54Tuning.com; 07-14-2010 at 05:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 05:35 PM   #16
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
By most widely used I mean there are in excess of 4500 JB3s in use. Even more if you lump in the private labeled versions. I recall you had challenged the sales claim before but were unwilling to participate in an independent audit. Have you changed your mind on that? I remember last time this came up I thought it was pretty strange of you to challenge the claim but then later when no one was looking be unwilling to follow up on it. And yes being the most popular tuner in use the JB3 is bought and sold often. It's quite a commodity.

By safe I mean there has never been a report of motor damage linked to the JB3 except one customer who was running 22psi on large turbos on pump gas. And that includes several JB3 customers who really push things to the limit like Hotrod (11.3@133, the worlds quickest and fastest 335i), Oldbooster (11.2@127, the worlds quickest and fastest 135i), etc. And that also includes thousands of customers who run around with highly modified cars on 91 and 93 octane fuel and hundreds running around with the JB3 methanol integration. In comparison I could point to 2 cases of motor damage linked to your "safe tunes" both running stock turbos without meth. What should be safe setups.

Anyway this isn't to say more bells and whistles won't be a nice addition to the JB3. They're coming soon.

Mike
lol...Do you really want to go there? If this is really Mike writing this, you would do yourself a great service to check the veracity of your source.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 06:01 PM   #17
e93WhiteonRed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 Alpine white with Red

Garage List
2007 335I E93  [0.00]
FYI - you guys are both making yourselves look like a$$h0les. This is one of the reasons it makes it hard for a newbie to get an honest opinion and poll from multiple users because it always turns into a pissing contest between two vendors who, quite frankly, both have good products.

I happen to have a JB3 and have been extremely happy with the product and the service from Terry. There are benefits to the proceed, and to the JB3 as well. Both are quality products. Lets just stick to the topic and try to help out Superman0150 with honest advice and experience instead of a pissing contest.
      07-14-2010, 06:12 PM   #18
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e93WhiteonRed View Post
FYI - you guys are both making yourselves look like a$$h0les. This is one of the reasons it makes it hard for a newbie to get an honest opinion and poll from multiple users because it always turns into a pissing contest between two vendors who, quite frankly, both have good products.

I happen to have a JB3 and have been extremely happy with the product and the service from Terry. There are benefits to the proceed, and to the JB3 as well. Both are quality products. Lets just stick to the topic and try to help out Superman0150 with honest advice and experience instead of a pissing contest.
Correction: Between a tuner/product developer and a salesperson. Please understand that there are reasons that Mike and I don't see eye on eye on most topics.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 06:19 PM   #19
PandaBear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i X-Drive

Garage List
2009 335i X-Drive  [0.00]
2007 328xi  [0.00]
lol arguing about the Jb3 vs V4 is like arguing about religion....you're going to have the ones for jb3 and against V4 and the ones against JB3 and for V4...their both good tunes, the only honest way to see which tickles your fancy is to buy both and try them... or you can read threads like this and ...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 06:22 PM   #20
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
poor Superman didn't know what he stepped into...lol...hey try both see what works for you as they have trial offers.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 06:26 PM   #21
ren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

Hitting the back button, too late to comment on anything. The war has already begun...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 06:27 PM   #22
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
poor Superman didn't know what he stepped into...lol...hey try both see what works for you as they have trial offers.
+1
Just remember that if you purchase the discounted Jb3/BT combo and decide to return it with the "trial period", you will not get a full refund because the BT tool is un-returnable since it latches on to your car's VIN #. In fact, you will be charged for the BT tool's NON-discounted value. Which means that you will end up keeping a tool that you don't need when using the Procede. This was a reoccurring problem/surprise for a bunch of people in the past. Not sure if it has been addressed or not.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread