E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > My 'unbiased' Review of JB3 2.0 and Procede v4 Autotuning

07-13-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

My 'unbiased' Review of JB3 2.0 and Procede v4 Autotuning

Let’s please not make this one a tuner war thread!

Here’s a little background:
I purchased my car in July of 2009, and got the JB3 soon after in September. I was planning on keeping the car relatively stock, but that obviously didn’t happen, haha. My initial impressions of the JB3 were WOW, and WOW. It completely made the car alive. Boost was sustaining 15psi and it felt amazing. My car wasn’t a victim of the dreaded “Bogfix”, and I didn’t think I was experiencing significant turbo lag. With JB3 2.0, 2.5” DPs, FMIC, Full Exhaust, DCI, and 18lb wheels I put down 379hp and 392tq. The one thing that made me extremely happy was the customer support, specifically Terry who responded to emails and n54tech threads within 10 minutes. Awesome customer service.

Now that I’m considering methanol and doing some track days this summer, I am feeling insecure with the lack of CAN control, timing specifically. I’m not fully aware of the Disadvantages/cons of controlling timing via CPS offsetting; perhaps someone could clue me in. Simply put, I wanted to make sure my car had the highest level of safety and security when pushing 400+whp.

I had a bit of skepticism of the Procede regarding the CANClear feature, but that was short-lived. Leaving the customer support of BMS was also a concern, but the past few weeks’ correspondence with Shiv has been equally great. Emails and PMs were answered very promptly and thoroughly... I also like the fact that they have a phone number to call.

Now onto the Procede v4 with 6-16 Autotune maps. I was amazed with the JB3, and I feel like the car is a completely new beast again! The main difference to me is the low throttle power and drivability. When the JB3 Throttle Gain is set to 100, it packs a ton of boost in at low throttle and thus power comes on. However, the Procede’s low throttle power is even stronger, much stronger. Strangely, it didn’t get this power from a ton of boost. I don’t know how it pulls so hard under 2-3psi, but it sure does. First and second gears are incredible now. After driving v4 for a couple days, I realize the JB3 did have a small bit of lag when rolling on WOT—nothing too major, just noticeable. Again, the thing I am most impressed with, (and curious about) is how this Procede produces so much useable power without super high boost. I’ve done a few 3rd gear pulls trying to ‘teach’ autotune its thing…and surprisingly I’ve only peaked 14.2psi so far…

In conclusion, I am very happy with the Procede v4. It delivered in every aspect, and with this autotuning feature, it can only get better. As for my recommendations, I would say if one had a bone-stock car, a JB3 will suffice and perform great. When doing more of the mods such as DPs, FMIC and Meth, one can really benefit from the CAN control and timing control abilities and have more peace of mind.

Woohoo!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
Tee212
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: yes

Garage List
2010 335  [8.00]
LOL dam you brian!!! no wonder you sold my hot ass the jb3 I feel soo ripped off. Now i have to sleep thinking about how much cooler the procede is
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

^ LOL

Good review though.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 09:27 PM   #4
TurboSid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4Cx BSM/FR

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
How dare you voice your opinion... fact is JB3 is better than Procede like vanilla ice cream is better than chocolate. Quit swingin off Vishnu's nuts... this review is so biased.

2022 BSM/FR M4 Competition X-Drive
2017 MW/SO M4 ZCP [SOLD] • 2015 MW/SO M4 M-DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2011 AW/CR 335is DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2008 AW/CR 335i 6MT FBO [SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 09:34 PM   #5
rgpwr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08.M6

I'm really interested in autotune, especially with the extreme temperature fluctuations in AZ. Great review. Now to convince my wife that I need a grand for a different tune...
      07-13-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
TakeOne
Just1MoreMod
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F48 X1

options for the N54 FTW!
      07-13-2010, 10:10 PM   #7
StartupJunkie
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Sedan+2 Baby Seats

rgpwr - what temperature swings are you seeing in your neck of the woods?

For me, I can get a 30 degF swing in about 45 minutes, going from San Jose to San Francisco. And you can definitely feel the difference when the temp gets cooler ... its pretty addictive feeling those changes.

Junk

Perf Mods: Vishnu PROcede Rev3 v5, Vishnu PWM Meth Kit, AR Design DPs, AE Exhaust, Helix FMIC, Vishnu DCI, Forge DV, WaveTrac LSD (Best Trap - 124.665mph)
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 11:30 PM   #8
Enicinitas
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Gray Coupe

I've now had V4 in for a few days and I'm 6mt. I gave it a go mainly to see if it was indeed smoother and felt more like the flashes that I've had on other cars.
Happy to report that it drives extremely smooth IMHO. I'm not the expert that most of you guys are. In fairness to BMS, I never updated the tune that I had received in Feb 10. I never received a custom map, datalogged for Terry, etc. I am also curious to hear what people are saying about the new 6mt tweaks they have made?

For me however, the autotune 6-16 has totally fit the bill. It accelerates smoothly - and - consistently. I'll confirm what Brian said in that the throttle response is noticeably different. The small amount of lag that I had isn't appreciable. Today, I left for work while it was still dark and in the low 60's. The car pulled strong as I expected. When I left work it was close to being about 25 -30 degrees warmer. The car still felt equally as responsive. That was new for me.

I'd also like to say that Robert at Vishnu was super helpful and went out of his way to help me out as I made the switch. No complaints whatsoever with their customer service that I had worried about.

It's great to have to have Shiv and Terry out there that are concerned about helping out the people that throw money at their products!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 11:55 PM   #9
Tee212
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 335  [8.00]
gat dam it you guys! thats just more bad news for me...tell me something good about the jb3!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 12:09 AM   #10
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Not sure why you're so disappointed Tee212...jb3 is a good tune as well especially for the money you may have paid..procede currently definitely has an edge in terms of refinement and some pretty advanced safety features but if you're not fully modded with meth/nitrous you're just fine with your current tune..

You can always sell it and upgrade if you see a reason for it on your car and understand/appreciate the change..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 12:23 AM   #11
Tee212
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 335  [8.00]
Ahh that feels better lol, yes im all stock non even an intake. I just drive to work about 80 miles a day on 91 cali pump gas. I just wanted a lil more punch so when a pretty asian girl is riding shotgun and her friends in the back can sitting cherry, this can give me an edge as it would impress them to better my chances of boning. So in my conclusion the procede would better suit a more hardcore application with more adjustablity in mind?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 12:37 AM   #12
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee212 View Post
Ahh that feels better lol, yes im all stock non even an intake. I just drive to work about 80 miles a day on 91 cali pump gas. I just wanted a lil more punch so when a pretty asian girl is riding shotgun and her friends in the back can sitting cherry, this can give me an edge as it would impress them to better my chances of boning. So in my conclusion the procede would better suit a more hardcore application with more adjustablity in mind?
Basic engine tuning requirements do not change based upon amount of modifications. Incomplete tunes that laugh in the face of basic engine theory will never do what they are supposed to do. And this is quantifiable by any basic logging device. A relatively insensitive logging device (ie, your butt dyno) will more easily notice this discrepancy at higher power levels or in worse conditions. But the decrepency is absolutely there in all scenarios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpwr View Post
I'm really interested in autotune, especially with the extreme temperature fluctuations in AZ. Great review. Now to convince my wife that I need a grand for a different tune...
A grand? It's much more affordable than that if you already have a tune.

Shiv

PS. OP- Thanks for the kind words

Last edited by OpenFlash; 07-14-2010 at 03:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 06:06 AM   #13
AMERICUS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 335i, 04 330 ZHP

Brian, did I meet you at Cars and Coffee on July 3rd? Did you have the space gray 335?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 09:08 AM   #14
IlChengis
once Treppiede
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee212 View Post
I just wanted a lil more punch so when a pretty asian girl is riding shotgun and her friends in the back can sitting cherry, this can give me an edge as it would impress them to better my chances of boning.
Since asian girls are generally petite, the weight they'd add to the vehicle is negligible, thus a stock vehicle with JB3 seems to suffice to increase your boning chances.

If you ever get into latinas, the added weight of their wonderful culos might require additional supporting mods such as downpipes and meth (and likely a stiffer suspension), in which case you might have to resort to the edge offered by PROcede's sophistication as well as its apparently superior safety/monitoring capabilities.

Based on the above observations and my deep appreciation for the latter type of womanly-setup, looks like I'll have to pick the PROcede when the time comes.

Respectfully,

-Walter
      07-14-2010, 09:42 AM   #15
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppiede View Post
Since asian girls are generally petite, the weight they'd add to the vehicle is negligible, thus a stock vehicle with JB3 seems to suffice to increase your boning chances.

If you ever get into latinas, the added weight of their wonderful culos might require additional supporting mods such as downpipes and meth (and likely a stiffer suspension), in which case you might have to resort to the edge offered by PROcede's sophistication as well as its apparently superior safety/monitoring capabilities.

Based on the above observations and my deep appreciation for the latter type of womanly-setup, looks like I'll have to pick the PROcede when the time comes.

Respectfully,

-Walter
Hmmm So Walter, what you are implying is that if I like asian girls AND I have a Procede I could exponentially increase my 'boning' chances with the asian girls versus if I had a JB3??

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 10:02 AM   #16
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMERICUS View Post
Brian, did I meet you at Cars and Coffee on July 3rd? Did you have the space gray 335?

[Chase??]

I seem to meet a lot of people at Cars and Cafe', but I do remember meeting a Chase from Iowa...so I assume that's you. It was good meeting you, any closer to picking up a 335?!

And It's Sparkling Graphite..

Last edited by BrianMN; 07-14-2010 at 10:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 10:12 AM   #17
IlChengis
once Treppiede
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec500 View Post
Hmmm So Walter, what you are implying is that if I like asian girls AND I have a Procede I could exponentially increase my 'boning' chances with the asian girls versus if I had a JB3??
That, or you could scare the crap out of them with the extra acceleration and cause them to take off screaming as soon as you stop. It's likely a double edged knife Sir.

-Walter
      07-14-2010, 10:58 AM   #18
import36
Burrito bowl connoisseur
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Nissan GTR Black Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppiede View Post
That, or you could scare the crap out of them with the extra acceleration and cause them to take off their clothes screaming as soon as you stop. It's likely a double edged knife Sir.

-Walter
<fixed>

my asian gf loves the Procede.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 11:52 AM   #19
oc_bimmer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Here's another success story:

"I had the JB3 for about 3 months. It was ok, but I didn't really like it because when I stomped on the gas it accelerated. - very strange.

Chicks did not even notice me. Every time at a red light when I revved and yelled "hey sweetie, do you want to ride on my 3.0?" they just looked away and ignored me.

I also had unpredictable boost spikes of 24psi (I did not log, I just felt it). I blew my engine twice, and despite I cleared codes with the BT tool, BMW was able to see all the codes I cleared, my SSN, and also what I ate for dinner the day before. (the DME stores secret information about you)

That was the point when I decided to upgrade to another tune. I purchased it online, and later I was told that I was eligible for the upgrade, but I insisted on paying the full price, because I knew the more expensive something is, the better.

My life changed ever since I installed it. The car autotunes itself. When it's hot, the A/C cools down the air. When I pump race gas, the car feels stronger and the max boost is also higher, and ignition timing automatically adjusts.

My only problem now is that I don't have enough time for all these chicks that want to date me. I can only handle one a day. Every time I stop at a stop sign or red light, chicks look at me with a flirty smile, and give me their phone numbers. If anybody here could help me out (you must not have JB3 because apparently it scares chicks away) I'd really appreciate it.

All my problems are gone, and I'm very happy now.
Thank you for changing my life. "
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 11:54 AM   #20
eyemdbmw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e93 335i space/coral/pop

do you still have to use protection if you have a procede or is that one of the CAN features?
      07-14-2010, 12:29 PM   #21
IlChengis
once Treppiede
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by import36 View Post
<fixed>

-Walter
      07-14-2010, 02:54 PM   #22
Superman0150
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=408283

Wow I have to say I'm stuck, can you guys check out the link? its about my thread
Appreciate 0