E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Nurburgring August 2010....

07-09-2010, 03:35 AM   #1
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Nurburgring August 2010....

Anyone fancy it?

Matt
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 03:46 AM   #2
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
Anyone fancy it?

Matt
Yes, but still waiting on confirmation from 'Ring that the weekend I'm thinking about is actually going to be open to the public
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 04:11 AM   #3
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
Yes, but still waiting on confirmation from 'Ring that the weekend I'm thinking about is actually going to be open to the public
Just a gentle reminder!!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 05:19 AM   #4
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

Do you ladies have 'Ring insurance (and I ain't talking about protection from Will's advances)?

Fully comp etc or just 3rd party?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 05:21 AM   #5
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post
Do you ladies have 'Ring insurance (and I ain't talking about protection from Will's advances)?

Fully comp etc or just 3rd party?
You're calling us ladies because we DO actually go to the Ring and drive really fast?!!

I was fully comp in the M3 on my standard policy. This time in the Porsche they have told me it's not covered, so I will pay them extra to cover me!

Regards
Matt
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 05:38 AM   #6
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

lol, the "ladies" comment was just a joke, not specifically because you're going to the Ring!!!

Sorry...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 06:39 AM   #7
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
are u ladies going again? ;-)
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 06:42 AM   #8
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm going

Matt
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 08:37 AM   #9
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
You're calling us ladies because we DO actually go to the Ring and drive really fast?!!

I was fully comp in the M3 on my standard policy. This time in the Porsche they have told me it's not covered, so I will pay them extra to cover me!

Regards
Matt
Who do you insure with and how much more are the charging?

Ed
      07-09-2010, 10:28 AM   #10
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
I'm also going this week-end (Sunday most probably) for a quick spin and some laps.

In August as far as I see the only week-end that is completely open for the public would be the 14/15. Normally I should also be able to attend then...!

Alpina_B3_Lux
      07-09-2010, 10:32 AM   #11
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
Depending upon what im driving i may be up for this. If not, i may come as a passenger if youre ok with that Tone? With regard insurance, ive never had anything that covers me "properly" for the Ring. By that i mean i have fully comp euro cover that doesnt specifically exclude the Ring, although it does exclude race tracks and racing etc. I spoke to about 5 separate guys on my trip a couple of weeks ago who are ALL currently being sued by their own insurance companies!!!! Too many details to go into here but suffice it to say they all thought/assumed rightly/wrongly they were covered on their standard policies but once their insurances had paid out, some of the claims running up to £50,000 plus, the insurance then came after them personally for the money!!! On another note, another chap i spoke crashed his CSL last year and totally mullered it. In brief he came over a blind crest doing about 120mph and came across a load of grass and mud in the middle of the track that had just been dumped by a GT3 that had lost control and crashed. The CSL owner skidded on the grass/mud and ended up smashing into the GT3. Both cars were totaled The GT3 owner was German and surprise surprise the police decided to levy all the blame with the British CSL owner. His bill currently includes a GT3, a CSL, 200 meters of armco, personal injury claims, track closure and recovery!! His CSL is STILL out at the Ring in a pile of metal and he is seriously out of pocket. That said the nutcase was there on a GSX R-600 when i met him so he obviously hasnt learned any lessons from this. The long and short of it is that it is a HUGE risk driving your own car on the Ring. I deliberate it every time i go but still take the risk knowing that im not covered, certainly im not covered for track closure, armco, recovery etc. But then hiring a car is ridiculously expensive due to the excesses and deposits etc. There are companies that will fully cover you for pretty much every eventuality on the Ring but from what ive been told, sure Tone will be adding his 2-pennys worth here, these policies are very expensive - but maybe not as expensive as getting it very wrong on track!!??
One last thing - i was there for around 4 days this last trip and the track was closed for SO much of the time it was beyond a joke - dick heads going out for their first laps on cold tyres and binning it into the armco within 7 corners. But it strikes me as its getting more popular and more busy it almost feels like its a numbers game and each time i put my card in the reader and the barrier lifts i wonder if this is my time.
Attached Images

07-09-2010, 11:20 AM   #12
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Ring Lap

Short clip showing first couple of minutes of a warm up lap - i forgot my windscreen mount and mate had to hold camera so apologies for it being a bit shaky!

http://www.vholdr.com/video/ring-lap
      07-10-2010, 09:02 PM   #13
chris_s1
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVIEHOOPS View Post
But then hiring a car is ridiculously expensive due to the excesses and deposits etc. There are companies that will fully cover you for pretty much every eventuality on the Ring but from what ive been told, sure Tone will be adding his 2-pennys worth here, these policies are very expensive - but maybe not as expensive as getting it very wrong on track!!??
Depends what you want to hire.

Last week I hired a fully track prepared Suzuki Swift, including all insurance for 99euros for an hour.
I did 4 laps and had a total blast. Paid for laps at the barrier and fuel seperately.
Sure it wasn't as quick as my BM (was doing 9min 15's in the BM and 10mins in the suzuki) but risk free racing was much more fun.

Normally, I would have said that hiring anything less powerful than my regular driver would have been a waste of time, I only gave it a shot because it was so cheap and I was starting to worry about the ever increasing amounts of smoke coming from my brakes.

Reminded myself how much fun a sorted, lightweight car can be. 130bhp 1.6......but you strip it out, add race brakes, race seats, roll cage and semi-slicks and its a hoot. They even had a right hand drive model for us Brits. Less than 1k on the clock when I took it out.....probably won't make a great 2nd hand buy!

Next visit I will still take my own car round a few times but I will save the 'commited' laps for the rental.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 02:57 AM   #14
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Have to say i didnt realise it was as cheap as that Chris and those Swifts do go round pretty well to be fair. Certainly its a good way of increasing your track knowledge and due to lack of power a good way to improve your entry/apex/exit points etc. Do you know for sure what the exact ramifications would be in the event of a big accident though? Ive just heard that a lot of these hire companys have a lot of small print and hidden exclusions. Or was the deposit fairly high?? Worth considering all the same though.
      07-11-2010, 03:33 AM   #15
chris_s1
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [8.66]
The guy who owns the company is an ex Pro driver, he can do an 8min15 in the swift apparently......

There was an excess of 2,500 euros on the insurance. So in the event of any accident that is your fault - that would be the limit of your liability. It's not cheap but you could stump up and chalk it up to experience.
For me, it's not much worse than crashing my own car would have been (that's if they even paid out) as I have a high excess.

I believe if the accident is not your fault, there is nothing to pay. But I'm not 100% on that.

No deposit was taken but they did hold on to my passport whilst I had the car.

In the event of a small shunt, I'm sure you'd pay the value up to a max of the excess.
But they were the nicest guys I met all week, they have their own garage and mechanic and do any work themselves. I really got the feeling they wouldn't rip you off. They'd rather you come back and rent next time than sting you too hard on repairs. Thankfully I didn't stack it so I never found out.

This was the place I used -

http://www.rent4ring.de/en/info/index.html

Will definately be back there next time.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 02:00 PM   #16
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Always going to be a risk if you aren't insured - part of the thrill I suppose?? I didn't bother with insuring mine. Track hire cars sound good but DO check the contract for excess etc etc.
      07-11-2010, 04:18 PM   #17
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
I enquired with my insurance the three times I went last year and they said that since it is open essentially as a toll road I was fully covered.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 04:45 PM   #18
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

I just couldn't bring myself to do it without the appropriate insurance. The costs could rack up very quickly in the event of an incident.

What happens if you have an accident and the following happens:

1. Write off of your car
2. Trash say 25-50 meters of armco barrier
3. The road/track has to close (loss of earnings etc)
4. You injure (or kill) a 3rd party
5. Air ambulance has to attend
6. Trash a couple of other very expensive cars

Maybe I am being a bit anal but it could happen and the costs could mount up to astronomical figures.

It pains me that I'm missing out on driving at the Ring though.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 05:17 PM   #19
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_s1 View Post
The guy who owns the company is an ex Pro driver, he can do an 8min15 in the swift apparently......There was an excess of 2,500 euros on the insurance. So in the event of any accident that is your fault - that would be the limit of your liability. It's not cheap but you could stump up and chalk it up to experience.
For me, it's not much worse than crashing my own car would have been (that's if they even paid out) as I have a high excess.

I believe if the accident is not your fault, there is nothing to pay. But I'm not 100% on that.

No deposit was taken but they did hold on to my passport whilst I had the car.

In the event of a small shunt, I'm sure you'd pay the value up to a max of the excess.
But they were the nicest guys I met all week, they have their own garage and mechanic and do any work themselves. I really got the feeling they wouldn't rip you off. They'd rather you come back and rent next time than sting you too hard on repairs. Thankfully I didn't stack it so I never found out.

This was the place I used -

http://www.rent4ring.de/en/info/index.html

Will definately be back there next time.
.....Only 2 seconds slower than the official time for the E60 M5
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 01:45 AM   #20
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Insuring a 335 will be about 250 a day with something like 5k excess.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 03:15 AM   #21
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
I enquired with my insurance the three times I went last year and they said that since it is open essentially as a toll road I was fully covered.
That is alsot he legal situation for cars that are insured in Germany. There have been some decisions of courts that have clearly ruled that as the 'Ring is part of public traffic (just with a toll), insurances cannot claim that it's a racing event and deny insurance.

However, I'm not sure they'll also cover the armco (if damaged) and the loss of profit for the 'Ring due to closure.

On a sidenote, I was at the 'Ring yesterday morning for some laps (I did 8 in total), and there are really some serious fools driving around. Twice one or two cars passed me and I saw them crashed later on; on another time, three cars chasing each other (including a new Porsche GT3) crashed and at least two of them (including the GT3) were totalled.

Reminds me not to drive faster than I can reasonably control.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      07-12-2010, 04:21 AM   #22
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
I was at the 'Ring yesterday morning for some laps.....
You must be pretty handy around the Ring now fella - you always seem to be there!!! I was also there recently and i agree there seem to be a lot more lunatics humping round there these days. You really do need to keep reminding yourself to drive well within your own limits and your cars limits. One of the best adrenaline rushes you will experience when you get it right but equally a very scary and costly place if you get it wrong.