Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Mobility Kits

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

12-21-2006, 05:46 AM   #1
dazzab
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i E90

Mobility Kits

Anybody used one of those tyre mobility kits after replacing the standard RFT's and then getting a puncture?

Who makes the best kit?

Cheers
      12-21-2006, 10:43 AM   #2
LarryK1000
Larry from Los Angeles
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I put regular Pirelli tires on my car. I bought a $50 inflator at Sears (It works in the car and you set the pressure and it stops when it reaches that pressure. It is made for vehicles up to SUV and pickups, so it inflates very quickly and has a fan to keep it cool, so it doesn't shut off prematurely.)

I bought a can of Pennzoil Tire Sealant. I got the 16 oz. size.

I put them both under the truck lid in the little storage place below the hard cover.

So, if I get a puncture, I will first try to inflate it WITHOUT the sealant, and if the air still comes out, I will pump in the sealant.

If there is a catastrophic failure, I will flatbed the car to the dealer. This is precisely what I would have to do with such a failure in a RFT. There is no difference with RFT or Non-RFT with a complete tire failure.

The only benefit of a RFT is that in a puncture situation, you don't have to stop and put in air. However, if you drive the RFT any distance, the manufacturer says you should replace the tire and not repair it, because driving more than a mile or two (I believe) compromises the stiffness of the sidewalls and defeats the run flat capability of the tire for the future.

L
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2006, 03:29 PM   #3
ICALL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i Carbon Black M Sport

I too have RFT on my 335i coupe and was considering changing to Goodyear F1's. I remember reading somewhere that if you remove the RFT and have a tire issue, BMW Roadside will NOT help you. Anyone know if this is true?

I can see the logic from their perspective, but I'm hoping this is
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2006, 03:57 PM   #4
Zehn
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328i

Thumbs up

I ordered the Continental Conticomfort kit with my non-rflts.. Seems pretty legit, and not too much $$.

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...tkit/index.jsp
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2006, 04:02 PM   #5
obLu
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

You can also add towing to your auto insurance policy very cheaply. I think on our's it's $1.50 a month for all the cars under our policy.

But as far as BMW Roadside, it's farmed out. They don't have a clue if you've got RFTs on or not. Only reason they know to answer as BMW is because the call comes into that queue.

Last time I had to use BMW Roadside the first truck that showed up was a sling. When I refused that one and called back the second truck that showed up was a flatbed but the driver REFUSED to pull the car up using the tow hook. Even showed him the manual several times! He wanted to put a hook around the front suspension arms and yank it up that way .... that've been wonderful for the bushings.

So I sent that guy away and called private.

Called BMWNA and they couldn't have cared less.

Point is, don't worry about if BMW Roadside is going to cover you; chances are it'll be worthless anyway.

PS. I plan on ordering the Continental kit too.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2006, 06:07 PM   #6
kevE90
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F8x

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryK1000
So, if I get a puncture, I will first try to inflate it WITHOUT the sealant, and if the air still comes out, I will pump in the sealant.

If there is a catastrophic failure, I will flatbed the car to the dealer. This is precisely what I would have to do with such a failure in a RFT. There is no difference with RFT or Non-RFT with a complete tire failure.

The only benefit of a RFT is that in a puncture situation, you don't have to stop and put in air. However, if you drive the RFT any distance, the manufacturer says you should replace the tire and not repair it, because driving more than a mile or two (I believe) compromises the stiffness of the sidewalls and defeats the run flat capability of the tire for the future.

L
Couldn't of saided better myself. Sometimes it's nice to hear my same line of thought from someone else. Also, throw a plug kit in your trunk too. They are too inexpensive to pass on.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2006, 06:35 PM   #7
JIMD1709
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 328 Coupe Alpine White

I bought one of these.
http://www.slime.com/smartspairs/index.php

Slime is cheap to replace as well. The refill for a mbility kit (BMW's) is like $40
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2006, 07:47 PM   #8
ICALL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i Carbon Black M Sport

What about the $2.49 can of fix-a-flat I remember from 10 years ago. Won't that work? I have the 335i with the neat metal valve stems(tire pressure sensor). I don't want to damage that. Is the only safe thing the M or Continental Mobility kits? The Slime site says to remove the valve stem???(Hopefully misread that)

I can buy a 120psi compressor for $70 with a plug kit for $20. Will the fix-a-flat stuff ruin the tire pressure sensor or rim?

I'm probably not running out to change the RFT tonight, but will most likely replace them with non-RFT when they wear down to the minimum lease turn in tread line and garage them for another two years so I'm trying to get as much info as possible.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2006, 11:12 PM   #9
SD330i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silver 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICALL
I too have RFT on my 335i coupe and was considering changing to Goodyear F1's. I remember reading somewhere that if you remove the RFT and have a tire issue, BMW Roadside will NOT help you. Anyone know if this is true?

I can see the logic from their perspective, but I'm hoping this is
i just replaced my RFTs with GY F1s and I also bought the mobility kit and have the same setiments as one of the other posters on if I get a flat. Also, in my pursuit in this project I spoke to the dealer about BMW assist and not having RFTs. The dealer said that they cant imagine that they would not help you as there are other cars that are issued with out RFT such as the X5. Sooo I imagine a flat is a flat is a flat. As a side note I have heard more problems with the RFTs then I have from people with "conventional" tires. Such as it going flat only to drive to the dealer for them to tell you, yep its flat and we have to replace it, $300 please.
      12-21-2006, 11:36 PM   #10
kevE90
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F8x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICALL
What about the $2.49 can of fix-a-flat I remember from 10 years ago. Won't that work? I have the 335i with the neat metal valve stems(tire pressure sensor). I don't want to damage that. Is the only safe thing the M or Continental Mobility kits? The Slime site says to remove the valve stem???(Hopefully misread that)

I can buy a 120psi compressor for $70 with a plug kit for $20. Will the fix-a-flat stuff ruin the tire pressure sensor or rim?
I believe the BMW mobility kit and the Conticomfort kit both are latex based sealants, are easier to remove and will not damage sensors. Please do not quote me on that cause I am not 100% sure. I'd buy one of these kits just because it's nice having the sealant as an another option.

standalone compressor
plug kit + compressor
sealant + compressor

edit: oops, sorry. you already heard me say this from the other threads.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2006, 12:07 AM   #11
dazzab
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i E90

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm looking at getting this for US$100. Seems pretty comprehensive.

http://www.stopngo.com/auto.asp

I'll also by a bottle of tyre sealant as back-up.