E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Self Healing Laquer

12-16-2006, 09:04 AM   #1
E92-Mark
Environmental petrol head.
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d Coupé

Garage List
Self Healing Laquer

My E92 was in for a bumper repair a couple of weeks back, after my neighbours car got a bit friendly. When I picked it up I spent about an hour just chatting with the guy who runs the bodyshop at my BMW dealer. We talked about the 3 different shades of TiAg and how they identify them and then went on to tell me about the new laquer BMW have been adopting on new cars over the past 4-5 months.

If you scratch the laquer and it doesnt cut deep into the paint, the surface will heal itself. Aparently it was introduced because in Germany they have to use recycled water in car washes which has a higher polutant count than from the mains. This is leading to fine scratches and swirl marks showing up on cars over longer periods of time.

What happens is when the car is sat in the sun on a hot day, particles in the laquer soften slightly and 'float' so that they drift into any tiny groves in the laquer and flatten it out.

The guy couldnt be sure which cars had it and didnt have it as there is no visible difference between them, but assured me that my new front bumper does

Currently : 330d SE Coupe, TiAg, Jade Leather Sports seats, HiGloss trim, 17" 188s, 6MT, CA, SunRoof, HBA, Pro Audio, 6CD, Bluetooth & Armrest
Retired : 320d SE E90, SG, Blk Leather, Xenons, Bluetooth
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2006, 09:35 AM   #2
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Now I guess you really shouldn't wash your car in the full sun.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2006, 03:55 PM   #3
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
When I first saw this thread I thought it said "Self Healing Lager" - and wondered if was some kind of non-hangover lager

Thats quite interesting that there are 3 different shades of TiAg. I wonder how many different variations there are of the other colours?

I'm hoping to get a good coat of Swissol wax on mine maybe around March, after winter is just about over which should help keep the swirl marks away for a bit.

Z4B
      12-18-2006, 11:06 AM   #4
E92-Mark
Environmental petrol head.
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d Coupé

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer
When I first saw this thread I thought it said "Self Healing Lager" - and wondered if was some kind of non-hangover lager

Z4B
Now that would be cool.

Currently : 330d SE Coupe, TiAg, Jade Leather Sports seats, HiGloss trim, 17" 188s, 6MT, CA, SunRoof, HBA, Pro Audio, 6CD, Bluetooth & Armrest
Retired : 320d SE E90, SG, Blk Leather, Xenons, Bluetooth
Appreciate 0