Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Doubts about 18" sport run-flats removed

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

05-01-2005, 01:58 PM   #1
mfstout
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 328i Coupe

Doubts about 18" sport run-flats removed

BTW-One more addition to my test drive. Like many of you I have wondered about the ride quality of the 18" sport run-flats. I did not start out as a huge e90 convert. I still have some issues, but I must say that the ride felt wonderful. If you are on the fence about 17" vs 18" tires and sports vs non-sports suspension, honestly, I think you will not be disappointed at all if you go with the sports package. In fact, you will be very pleasantly surprised. Ride was smooth but still let you feel the road. I was completely unaware of the 18" tires and the fact that they were run-flats and I had it on the brain the entire time. Also, the car looks soooooo much better with the 18" tires. Too bad they couldn't figure out how to make it look right with 17inchers but what can you do?

I'm not sure about all of the design philosophies guiding BMW today, but those darn engineers sure know their sheist.

Drive fast.

sparky
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2005, 03:05 PM   #2
BMWAustin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfstout
BTW-One more addition to my test drive. Like many of you I have wondered about the ride quality of the 18" sport run-flats. I did not start out as a huge e90 convert. I still have some issues, but I must say that the ride felt wonderful. If you are on the fence about 17" vs 18" tires and sports vs non-sports suspension, honestly, I think you will not be disappointed at all if you go with the sports package. In fact, you will be very pleasantly surprised. Ride was smooth but still let you feel the road. I was completely unaware of the 18" tires and the fact that they were run-flats and I had it on the brain the entire time. Also, the car looks soooooo much better with the 18" tires. Too bad they couldn't figure out how to make it look right with 17inchers but what can you do?

I'm not sure about all of the design philosophies guiding BMW today, but those darn engineers sure know their sheist.

Drive fast.

sparky
17's are not that bad at all, but I agree 18 looks soooooo much better like you said.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2005, 03:05 PM   #3
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfstout

Drive fast.

sparky
mfstout,

Thanks a million for the review. This is a huge relief for me. I had been worried about the ride quality, because I orderd the E90 with Sport package and 18" wheels without a test-drive, since the E90 is only gonna be launched here on May 9.

I've been hoping to hear exactly what you've just shared. What a relief. Thanks.

I've gotten a lot of warnings about a possibly harsh ride from the 18" wheels, but I decided to order them anyway. I'm glad to hear such good news from someone who has first hand experience on the subject.

I agree, the 18" wheels look perfect on the E90.
E90 330i 6MT|Space Grey|Red Brown|Alumin|Sunroof|Voice Control|Logic 7|Xenon|Prof-Navigation|Storage Pack|Luggage Pack|Extended Lights|Anti-dazzle Folding Mirrors|Climate Comf. w/screen|M-Sport Pack|Exclusive Pack|Innovations Pack|Alumin Pedals|CF Splitters|Delivered:19 March 2010
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2005, 03:15 PM   #4
a3ndy
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 330i SE

Garage List
2006 330i SE  [0.00]
I can backup mfstout's statement that the ride quality is not affected one bit on 18" alloys. I did have my doubts. I was originally going for 17" alloys for ride quality, but deep down I wanted the 18" alloys.

However, after I test drove one with 18" alloys. I, too can confirm that it does not affect ride quality. In fact, I was amazed that it didn't.

18" alloys all the way. looks better and doesn't compromise the ride.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2005, 09:42 PM   #5
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by a3ndy
I can backup mfstout's statement that the ride quality is not affected one bit on 18" alloys. I did have my doubts. I was originally going for 17" alloys for ride quality, but deep down I wanted the 18" alloys.

However, after I test drove one with 18" alloys. I, too can confirm that it does not affect ride quality. In fact, I was amazed that it didn't.

18" alloys all the way. looks better and doesn't compromise the ride.
a3ndy,

thanks for the positive vote, and it helps to get different people agreeing on this.

I will sleep a whole lot better now with my decision to order the 18" wheels.

PS: That's a beautiful combo you have on your E90. Everytime I see a picture of Silver exterior and Black leather, I start having an urge to discard my Sparkling Graphite/Terra combo. I'll make my "final final" decision when I meet the E90 in person next week. Can't wait.
E90 330i 6MT|Space Grey|Red Brown|Alumin|Sunroof|Voice Control|Logic 7|Xenon|Prof-Navigation|Storage Pack|Luggage Pack|Extended Lights|Anti-dazzle Folding Mirrors|Climate Comf. w/screen|M-Sport Pack|Exclusive Pack|Innovations Pack|Alumin Pedals|CF Splitters|Delivered:19 March 2010
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2005, 03:40 AM   #6
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

All BMW's have a optimum wheel size for overall looks, you can see the car was originally designed with a certain size in mind

On the E46 it was 17"
On the E90 its 18"

Not saying they dont look good with other sizes, but you can see the proportions are perfect with those sizes
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2005, 04:19 AM   #7
a3ndy
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i SE  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrill30
a3ndy,

thanks for the positive vote, and it helps to get different people agreeing on this.

I will sleep a whole lot better now with my decision to order the 18" wheels.

PS: That's a beautiful combo you have on your E90. Everytime I see a picture of Silver exterior and Black leather, I start having an urge to discard my Sparkling Graphite/Terra combo. I'll make my "final final" decision when I meet the E90 in person next week. Can't wait.
thrill30, cheers.

It doesn't help with my avatar staring at you does it? hehe. Well good luck with your decision whatever it may end up being.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2005, 06:34 AM   #8
juan23
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 330

Howzit Thrill 30
Have you also ordered from Lyndhurst Auto coz they are the ones that are hosting the launch party. I have ordered a SG 330 as well but I pre-ordered in Feb. My car is due in June.

Cheers

Juan23
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2005, 08:12 AM   #9
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by juan23
Howzit Thrill 30
Have you also ordered from Lyndhurst Auto coz they are the ones that are hosting the launch party. I have ordered a SG 330 as well but I pre-ordered in Feb. My car is due in June.

Cheers

Juan23

wasup juan23,

that's an interesting co-incidence in launch dates. No, I ordered at Leo Haese BMW in Hatfield, Pretoria.

I was invited to the launch on 9 May in Hatfield, and they also said the test-drives will only start on 10 May. Did Lyndhurst Auto tell you the same about the test-drives? If so, it would appear that BMW South Africa arranged that all dealerships hosting launch parties do so on the same date.

Congratulations on your SG 330i order, at least yours is coming next month. I still have a long way to go(i.e. July)....and it's killing me.

But on the bright side, this forum has been very helpful in helping me make an informed decision in terms of colours and options. Big up to the E90Post forum and all fellow members.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2005, 08:19 AM   #10
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
thrill30, cheers.

It doesn't help with my avatar staring at you does it? hehe. Well good luck with your decision whatever it may end up being.
a3ndy,

yes, your avatar is really adding to the pain and confusion I'm feeling about SG and Silver, but in a good way nevertheless. I hope I don't regret my final colour choice, which is still up in the air at the moment.

Decisions decisions decisions!!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2005, 10:01 AM   #11
SoCalS2k
Major
Rep
Drives: S2K!

Garage List
2001 Honda S2k  [8.50]
Quote:
Silver/black combo is the safest route but I think SG/Terra is just gorgeous and so unique lookin. Did you see the pics of the SG/Terra in the "show us your pics" thread?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2005, 10:18 AM   #12
a3ndy
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i SE  [0.00]
Quote:
a3ndy,

yes, your avatar is really adding to the pain and confusion I'm feeling about SG and Silver, but in a good way nevertheless. I hope I don't regret my final colour choice, which is still up in the air at the moment.

Decisions decisions decisions!!
Talk about indecisive! I just checked out what you have changed in since you ordered it. I think you're in the lead for the number of changes. It just goes to show that you are aware that you want to make the right choices, and not regret them. I've been there done that. Colour is a major issue cos once it's painted, no going back. Make a wise decision! Thrill30, if I was you, which I am obviously not, I would way up the pros and cons of each colour side by side, with pictures too. This is what I had to so to choose between Black Saphire and TiAg. I know I have made the right decison going with TiAg. Put it this way, TiAg is safe, good all rounder - can't go wrong. It just happens to be a common colour, and it just goes to show why.

Good luck again. I do hope you make the right decision.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2005, 12:23 PM   #13
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalS2k
Silver/black combo is the safest route but I think SG/Terra is just gorgeous and so unique lookin. Did you see the pics of the SG/Terra in the "show us your pics" thread?
SoCalS2k,
yes I saw those pictures in "show us your pics", and they helped me sort out the issue of whether Terra will look good or not with Aluminium, since Walnut was an obvious choice but I'm hesitant about wood in general .

I'm going with Aluminium now, and that's final hehehe. But those pictures also made it clear to me that SG is absolutely gorgeous....hence, I'm more undecided as ever now. Damn those pictures hehehe!!!

I had been hoping to get Silver Grey and Natural Brown before I realised that those colours are not available for the E90. So, my next logical choice was SG and Terra. But that was before I saw the "3 across America" pictures of E90's in Silver and Black leather. From then on, it's been tough.

A lot rests on what I think about the colours when I see the cars in person next week.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2005, 12:43 PM   #14
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Talk about indecisive! I just checked out what you have changed in since you ordered it. I think you're in the lead for the number of changes. It just goes to show that you are aware that you want to make the right choices, and not regret them. I've been there done that. Colour is a major issue cos once it's painted, no going back. Make a wise decision! Thrill30, if I was you, which I am obviously not, I would way up the pros and cons of each colour side by side, with pictures too. This is what I had to so to choose between Black Saphire and TiAg. I know I have made the right decison going with TiAg. Put it this way, TiAg is safe, good all rounder - can't go wrong. It just happens to be a common colour, and it just goes to show why.

Good luck again. I do hope you make the right decision.

Andy,

talk about rubbing it in!!

Hehehe, I actually cut the list of changes short because I thought people will not believe me, and might think i'm making a joke. I've made more changes than i revealed in that other thread. The options spreadsheet that I keep updating is finalised now. I'm happy with the options I chose under my budget constraints.

Thanks for the advice, but I'm afraid I've done exactly that (i.e. putting the cars side by side and looking at the pro's and con's)... and guess what? I ended up with Silver as a clear winner....but my signature still says "Sparkling Graphite/Terra"... that just about sums it up about my indecisiveness hey!!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2005, 02:00 PM   #15
a3ndy
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i SE  [0.00]
Quote:
Andy,

talk about rubbing it in!!

Hehehe, I actually cut the list of changes short because I thought people will not believe me, and might think i'm making a joke. I've made more changes than i revealed in that other thread. The options spreadsheet that I keep updating is finalised now. I'm happy with the options I chose under my budget constraints.

Thanks for the advice, but I'm afraid I've done exactly that (i.e. putting the cars side by side and looking at the pro's and con's)... and guess what? I ended up with Silver as a clear winner....but my signature still says "Sparkling Graphite/Terra"... that just about sums it up about my indecisiveness hey!!
May the force be with you on this one

P.S Silver has the wow factor
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2005, 02:40 PM   #16
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
theres really no negative about getting the 18" wheels/tires over 17". From a ride standpoint, its all about tires these days, and technology has really advanced to a point that 18" tires feel like 16" of days ago. THe only real drawback to 18" wheels is that they are easier to damage on curbs when parallel parking. So just be more careful
      05-02-2005, 03:29 PM   #17
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE90M3
theres really no negative about getting the 18" wheels/tires over 17". From a ride standpoint, its all about tires these days, and technology has really advanced to a point that 18" tires feel like 16" of days ago. THe only real drawback to 18" wheels is that they are easier to damage on curbs when parallel parking. So just be more careful
MarkE90M3,

with the help of the positive reviews and feedback from this forum regarding the Sport suspension and 18" wheels, I'm 110% happy with my choice of 18"(style 162) wheels. Big up to this forum and members!!

My worry is that I'm going to be fixing rims all the time because some of the roads I use around here are not ideal...and to make matters worse, my right foot is freakin' too heavy, so by the time I see a pothole it's usually too late to do anything.

My 235/40 17" tires of my beloved E36 were always in the repair shop, because of the surprise potholes that mushroom in the middle of a perfectly looking road. Well, I will have to learn to adapt my driving style, because this time I won't even have a spare wheel to talk about while a bent rim is at the repair shop.

But then again I refuse to let potholes and bad roads decide the wheels of my E90 hehehe....18" all the away!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2005, 05:01 PM   #18
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Quote:
MarkE90M3,

with the help of the positive reviews and feedback from this forum regarding the Sport suspension and 18" wheels, I'm 110% happy with my choice of 18"(style 162) wheels. Big up to this forum and members!!

My worry is that I'm going to be fixing rims all the time because some of the roads I use around here are not ideal...and to make matters worse, my right foot is freakin' too heavy, so by the time I see a pothole it's usually too late to do anything.

My 235/40 17" tires of my beloved E36 were always in the repair shop, because of the surprise potholes that mushroom in the middle of a perfectly looking road. Well, I will have to learn to adapt my driving style, because this time I won't even have a spare wheel to talk about while a bent rim is at the repair shop.

But then again I refuse to let potholes and bad roads decide the wheels of my E90 hehehe....18" all the away!!!
You are soo right !!

I had the same problem with bending wheels, and I've come to the conclusion its all about the construction of the wheel. I've had stock BMW 16" wheels (yes I kid you not, 16) that I've bent on a pothole, I've bent the 17" BMW wheels also. But I've also owned some aftermarket 18" wheels (BBS) that I've never bent, even on the worst of potholes. So its all about the contruction of the wheel, or atleast i'd say thats more of a factor then the size.

We can only hope and pray that the 18" wheels are manufacturered for quality I think they will be, because the multispoke design itself lends itself to being more strong.. impact forces get split up and sent in all different directions.. whereas on a 5spoke you are much more likely to bend. I guess time will tell and hopefully BMW made these wheels of high quality.. (sometimes they dont as I can vouch for !! )

btw, I drive the same way as you and have the same wheel problems as you, hehe, i take it that this is something all us enthusiasts get into.. I just cant help but drive fast, even if the road is all messed up.!
      05-03-2005, 05:55 PM   #19
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE90M3
You are soo right !!

I had the same problem with bending wheels, and I've come to the conclusion its all about the construction of the wheel. I've had stock BMW 16" wheels (yes I kid you not, 16) that I've bent on a pothole, I've bent the 17" BMW wheels also. But I've also owned some aftermarket 18" wheels (BBS) that I've never bent, even on the worst of potholes. So its all about the contruction of the wheel, or atleast i'd say thats more of a factor then the size.

We can only hope and pray that the 18" wheels are manufacturered for quality I think they will be, because the multispoke design itself lends itself to being more strong.. impact forces get split up and sent in all different directions.. whereas on a 5spoke you are much more likely to bend. I guess time will tell and hopefully BMW made these wheels of high quality.. (sometimes they dont as I can vouch for !! )

btw, I drive the same way as you and have the same wheel problems as you, hehe, i take it that this is something all us enthusiasts get into.. I just cant help but drive fast, even if the road is all messed up.!
What? You have bent 16" wheels?...damn, you are so bad!!!
I feel a lot better now, seeing that I'm not as bad as I thought.

Your explanations about 5 spokes and multispokes makes sense now. The wheels that I kept messing up were 5 spoke. I haven't yet messed up my current multispoke 16" wheels.

I'm really scared about the 18" wheels and my driving style/record. I've been messing up wheels with an E36 318 Sport... I wonder what will happen with the extra power from a 330i. I certainly hope BMW built the 18" wheels for quality.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2005, 02:40 PM   #20
alexruby
Registered
Rep
Drives: 325 i

Do you guys think that the tire and rim lifetime waranty will cover me if buy 18 rims and tires?
Appreciate 0