Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > E92: Ride differences between 17" and 18" and sport/non-sport - pls help

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

12-14-2006, 08:16 PM   #1
linus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335xi, 08 E92 335i

E92: Ride differences between 17" and 18" and sport/non-sport - pls help

Can anyone comment on their experience with ride quality between 17" (non-sport) and 18" (sport) rims on the new coupe? I love the look of the 18" but am worried about ride quality vs. 17".

Also, will the sport suspension provide for a slightly more jarring ride than the stock suspension?

Reflecting on this for my E93 purchase.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2006, 08:47 PM   #2
markis64
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 Alpine White 330xi

Garage List
3006 e90 330xi  [0.00]
I test drove an e92 on 17's with non sport package and it was like every other BMW...gorgeous. I have 18's on my e90 with a sport package and awd so I dont get the full effects of the sport package but I did get nice seats and what not!... the ride quality is better, imo only because i feel it handles better. It might make u unhappy if ur driving on rough roads but for the most part go with the 18's and most definitely go with sport package.

oh yeah it will look cooler too
Hope that helped
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2006, 08:52 PM   #3
linus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335xi, 08 E92 335i

Just to be sure, you found that the 17" were very comfortable ? And you find the 18" on your E90 somewhat more jarring only on rough roads but found this an acceptable tradeoff for the better handling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markis64
I test drove an e92 on 17's with non sport package and it was like every other BMW...gorgeous. I have 18's on my e90 with a sport package and awd so I dont get the full effects of the sport package but I did get nice seats and what not!... the ride quality is better, imo only because i feel it handles better. It might make u unhappy if ur driving on rough roads but for the most part go with the 18's and most definitely go with sport package.

oh yeah it will look cooler too
Hope that helped
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2006, 09:53 PM   #4
markis64
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 Alpine White 330xi

Garage List
3006 e90 330xi  [0.00]
well of course the 17's will feel slighty more like riding on a pillow. The sport suspension will be stiffer, but its just what it sounds like, a sport suspension. I would say for all the times that i ride on rough roads which might be in a gravel parking lot or on a dirt road i dont notice it to be annoying at all. Take this scenario your driving along and you hit a pot hole in a truck, you dont feel as jarred as you would say a ferrari. The difference in the wheel size could have that effect, but unless your talking 17" and upgrading to say 20" you should not have that problem. IMO i would much rather have the sportier ride thats stiffer, and the 18" wheels that not only look more sportier but act much sportier. I hope that this helps you out alittle more. And of course to replace a 18" tire will be more costly due to size but then again thats what runflats were made for, hopefully you wont have a problem.. any more questions or suggestions private message me!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2006, 11:05 PM   #5
skinnypoo
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan AW

i just picked up my 335i sedan without the sport package...

it has the nice 17" wheels with the all season tires...

the ride is harder then the older BMW with regular tires...
sharp road bumps (example: a raised tar line or broken road)
are clearly more noticeable...

but say you were riding over a manhole or an off a ramp...no difference...

e90 car in general is a stiffer car...feels more vault-like...
doesnt flex as much as the 2005 and under vehicles.

iam glad i did not get the "sport" suspension...the regular suspension
is stiff enough...

i do feel the extra stiff-ness is mostly due to the RunFlat tires...
i also feel the runflat tires are probably the only thing i dont like
about this new BMW.

Appreciate 0