Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > 335i - Bad Bearing sound from rear wheel (m)

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

12-14-2006, 11:52 AM   #1
M3Law
Rep
Drives: 23’ M4 CSL 16’ GTS 18’ M3 CS

335i - Bad Bearing sound from rear wheel (m)

I have been experiencing a noise coming from the right rear portion of the car that sounds just like a wheel bearing going bad. Kind of a thruming sound at speed. The higher the speed the louder it gets. Can't see anything wrong with the tire. Treadwear is just fine. The car has 2300 miles, the breakin was concientiously observed (hard to do with the glorious European Delivery), and no potholes or other significant events to speak of.

I've scheduled a warranty visit next week to take a look, replace the left fender turn signal lens that accumulates water, and change the oil (my cost).

I've never heard of a wheel bearing failing on a new modern car so soon, is there any chance that the problem is from the runflats? Anyone else hear such a noise on the highway without the radio on?

The delivery process did result in slight damage to the front bumper which the dealer had "fixed". Is it possible that tying the car down at some point in shipment created the problem? I had to clay bar the car to remove some "rail dust" from some point in the shipping.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2006, 09:51 PM   #2
boyce'06 330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 330i Slvr/Gray Prem/Sport

Does the thrumming change speed with the speed of the car? One nice thing about the run flats is the sidewalls are so stiff it's difficult to bend a rim in normal use as the tires simply transfer the energy of impact to the suspension and not the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2006, 05:20 PM   #3
M3Law
Rep
Drives: 23’ M4 CSL 16’ GTS 18’ M3 CS

Yes, change in speed causes change in sound

The faster the speed the louder and faster the thrumming sound gets. It also sounds like when you are down to the wear guards on your tires and brake hard (front tires) and hear that noise. Except here it is all the time. This morning, I folded the rear seats down and could definitely tell that it is coming from the right rear wheel location.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2006, 09:38 AM   #4
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I'm taking mine in this week. The noise is getting ridiculous, and I can't even hear very well (just ask my wife). I hear what becomes a numbing, rhythmic pulse, but I can't determine the source. I'm going to get the service guy to take a little spin with me. I've listened, the sound doesn't change on me regardless of the road surface, it only changes with the speed. Applying brakes doesn't modify the sound other than reducing the speed. I've got about 28,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2006, 02:25 PM   #5
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Dropped it off yesterday. They found one tire under-inflated by 15psi (why no warning?) and serious feathering on all four corners. Claimed to have checked bearings, brakes/pads, and flushed the brake lines.
I drove a 330 with Continental RFT, MUCH nicer. But when I mentioned to SA about replaceing with non-RFT, he agreed emphatically.
I looked above, that should have been 18, not 28K. It's CRAZY that I'll be changing my tires BEFORE my oil . . .
Appreciate 0