BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-27-2010, 09:56 PM   #1
Revelate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 LMB 135i

Are you a BMW CCA club member? If not, why?

I'm curious how many of us PacNW 1 owners are current BMW CCA members and part of a local chapter (Puget Sound, Oregon, Rattlesnake, etc).

I am an active member of the Puget Sound region and attend the board meetings regularly. We are trying to attract new members, and the most active BMW enthusiasts are online, but a vast majority are not part of the club.

Please respond to this thread if you have any feedback. For example, do you know about the BMW CCA and/or your local chapter? Do you know what the benefits are? Have you had a poor experience with a club event in the past? Would you have suggestions for organized events that the club can sponsor?

Thanks,
Dane
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
Revelate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I gave this thread a week to see if anyone would respond. I know it's a low activity subforum, but that just means we need to be more vocal.

I'm confused that no one has any comments about a well organized (and funded) local BMW club yet, if you're reading this, you already subscribe to the nature of an enthusiast group by being a member of bimmerpost.com.

Care to add anything?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
JimmyT
Redneck Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

how much dealer support is there for the BMWCCA? I have been involved with other car clubs that had fantastic dealer support and that just made things a lot more fun to be around. Keeping owners excited about the brand also turns into business or repeat business for the dealer!!!
      06-04-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
Revelate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyT View Post
how much dealer support is there for the BMWCCA? I have been involved with other car clubs that had fantastic dealer support and that just made things a lot more fun to be around. Keeping owners excited about the brand also turns into business or repeat business for the dealer!!!
Nationally, BMW CCA has a rebate program for any current member who purchase or leases a new or CPO BMW from a dealer. The rebates range from $500 to $1,500 depending on the model. I received a $500 check in the mail about a month after I took delivery of my 135 in January. It's free money and has no influence on the purchase or lease negotiations.

Locally, each chapter maintains a relationship with the dealers, and while I can't speak for every PacNW chapter, the Puget Sound Region receives amazing support from BMW Seattle, BMW Bellevue and BMW Northwest.

- All three dealers offer discount on parts and/or labor (specific details on club discounts are at http://www.bmwpugetsound.com/discounts.htm).

- All three dealers support the local chapter with advertising in our monthly club magazine, the Zundfolge. Digital issues can be found here: http://www.bmwpugetsound.com/zundfolge/index.htm

- BMW Seattle has been a long time sponsor of the annual Concours which attracts upwards of 200 amazingly clean BMWs, old and new. The beautiful etched glass trophies are provided by BMW Seattle. They also bring along one or more of a newly introduced models to display. In past years it's been the 2nd gen Z4, E92 M3 and I believe the X3 as well. The event this year is on Sunday July 25th. Registration is open right now and details can be found by clicking here.

- BMW Seattle also has club member events such as the recent private opening of their new location in SoDo with display cars, food and drinks and other attractions. I wasn't able to attend, but I believe they also had test drives available for new vehicles just for club members.

- BMW Bellevue recently sponsored the 2010 annual banquet in January and provided take-away items for everyone in attendance including a custom designed glass.

- BMW Northwest has sponsored past events including the annual banquet.

I'd like to think that the dealer support here is really good, and that's part of what we're trying to keep strong. A growing, active chapter means more reason for the dealers and businesses to continue their support and provide the benefits we appreciate.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
JimmyT
Redneck Engineer
United_States
Rep

That sounds fantastic, and encouraging for my next car purchase....
      06-06-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
135iUSN
19 X5 1998 M Roadster
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i Alpine White / Terra

Garage List
1998 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
agree
      06-11-2010, 12:36 PM   #7
Revelate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Assuming you are both referring to the $500-$1,500 rebate benefit, just be aware that there is one major dependency. You have to be a current BMW CCA member for 1 year prior to your purchase/lease to qualify.

The rebate is to encourage repeat business and loyalty, not to simply give away money. Other than the length of membership, there are very few restrictions. It even includes European Delivery.

If you are considering a new or CPO BMW in the near future, you should sign up now. You don't even have to own a BMW!

Dane
BMW CCA #200615
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 12:57 PM   #8
JimmyT
Redneck Engineer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelate View Post
Assuming you are both referring to the $500-$1,500 rebate benefit, just be aware that there is one major dependency. You have to be a current BMW CCA member for 1 year prior to your purchase/lease to qualify.

The rebate is to encourage repeat business and loyalty, not to simply give away money. Other than the length of membership, there are very few restrictions. It even includes European Delivery.

If you are considering a new or CPO BMW in the near future, you should sign up now. You don't even have to own a BMW!

Dane
BMW CCA #200615
Thanks for the info... any NWBMWCCA events coming up soon? I may want to stop by and oogle!!!
      06-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #9
Revelate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info... any NWBMWCCA events coming up soon? I may want to stop by and oogle!!!
You just missed a big weekend.

Last Saturday we had 24 BMWs on the roller for a dyno event in Kirkland. Some photos from the event are here on bimmerpost.com courtesy of Johhny Lin. I managed 327hp / 357tq with just the Dinan Stage 2 flash, and there were other impessive N54s as well, including a 335 that put down over 400hp with tons of torque.

On Sunday we hosted a "BMWs & Burgers" event at XXX Drive-In in Issaquah with somewhere between 150-175 cars in attendance. I haven't seen any photo threads yet, but here's a YouTube walkthrough video of the parking lot at XXX.

The events for the next couple weeks are club drives and track days that require membership (though you can attend one event as a guest before deciding to sign up).

There are two big summer display events that anyone can attend as a spectator, and also provide registration for non-BMWCCA members if you want to participate in an organized event without a committment.
  • The annual BMW Concours d'Elegance on July 25th in Renton. Event information and signup is here.

You can also see more information about drives and Pacific Raceways track events on the club forums.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 11:39 PM   #10
JimmyT
Redneck Engineer
United_States
Rep

member # 436134, just joined today!!!
      06-13-2010, 08:03 PM   #11
Revelate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
member # 436134, just joined today!!!
Very cool! If you have any questions about the events scheduled for this year (Concours, tours, drives, tech sessions, social gatherings) let me know. There's a drive to Hurricane Ridge this coming Saturday on June 19th.

Are you driving the R32 listed in your profile or something else? I love the R32.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 01:15 AM   #12
aarodynamics
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2/08 M3/15 Golf R/20 GT4

Regardless whether you're a BMW Car Club of America Puget Sound Region chapter member or not, head on over to twitter/facebook and follow/like your local BMW CCA Puget Sound Region:

Stay in the loop about the latest news, announcements, club events, and track days!

Or if you just want to see the club's website: http://www.bmwpugetsound.com

(Hi Dane!)
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 08:01 AM   #13
Dynamic1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
This seems like fun, but why no chapters in Idaho?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #14
Revelate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic1 View Post
I think a lot of it has to do with member density, but the ultimate reason is that no one has tried to set up a chapter in Idaho. Anyone can volunteer to create a chapter as long as the rules and governance of the CCA are followed.

For almost a decade, the Portland metro area (and most of Oregon really) defaulted to Seattle/Puget Sound because a local chapter didn't exist. That changed in 2010 when the Oregon chapter was formed, based in Portland. This was mainly due to the dedication of a small group of people that wanted better representation for their region.

I imagine it would be difficult to attract enough members for a sustainable chapter in the more rural regions. The Puget Sound chapter only has about 2,600 members in a metro area with 3.3 million people, and we are considered a fairly big chapter for the CCA. That doesn't bode well for Boise metro with only 600,000 people where trucks and domestic vehicles dominate the landscape.

A challenge for all CCA chapters right now, new and old, is to retain and attract new members. It's pretty obvious that technology has changed the social interaction of our society, but as a car club, we struggle to understand why the online community thrives and we can't attract new members. The Pebble Beach Concours is not online. Track days are not online. Show and Shines are not online. Wine tours are not online. Dyno days are not online. Tech events are not online.

There's only so much satisfaction one can receive from posting pictures of a new exhaust on a forum. Driving over a few mountain passes with a group of BMWs, or appreciating the extra power on the track is an entirely better experience.
      01-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #15
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic1 View Post
I met a guy named Jay who drives a white e36 M3. Jay was trying to start a Boise/SW Idaho BMW CCA chapter. I gave him my contact info and volunteered to help set up a chapter but never heard back from him.
I think Revelate hit the nail on the head. We just do not have enough BMW enthusiasts in Boise. When I go to a BMW dealer event there are only a handful of people there. So the Boise folks join the Puget Sound Chapter. I have been a member for a few years and a couple members came to Boise for a drive in 2010.
      01-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #16
whostorm05
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

How often are there activities around Seattle?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #17
Dynamic1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Well thanks IDBMW & Revelate... I wish it would have been a simpler problem though! I haven't arrived in Idaho yet, but I'm already pretty anxious about the transition from driving in Europe to driving stateside. I suppose I will just have to wait and see, and find a nearby chapter to try to tag along with.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #18
Revelate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whostorm05 View Post
How often are there activities around Seattle?
During the "high season" between April and October, I would estimate 4 to 6 events per month. The board meets early in the year to schedule activities for the year and the weekend dates fill up quick. It's enviable that some events overlap with others.
      03-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #19
whostorm05
First Lieutenant
Rep

Just signed up! Bring on some events!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #20
Revelate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Good deal! Check out www.bmwpugetsound.com for the latest event calendar. There's a VRM tour on March 24th. The track day schedule is posted (including the Car Control Clinic if you want to have fun without the high speeds), and the tour and tech events should be posted some time in March.

I'm leading at least one drive this year, probably to Sun Mountain Lodge, plus organizing the annual wine tour in September (which currently is leaning towards a Tri-Cities/Benton City 3 day weekend).
      03-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #21
Amnizu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 502 of 740

I'm interested in joining, but honestly, it would just be for access to track day lapping events and in that case I'll be driving a Subaru. IE, i'd be joining the club for seat time in my WRX not for the BMW community. If that is okay, and other models are accepted @ the track for lapping on HDPE days then I'm in!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #22
whostorm05
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelate View Post
Good deal! Check out www.bmwpugetsound.com for the latest event calendar. There's a VRM tour on March 24th. The track day schedule is posted (including the Car Control Clinic if you want to have fun without the high speeds), and the tour and tech events should be posted some time in March.

I'm leading at least one drive this year, probably to Sun Mountain Lodge, plus organizing the annual wine tour in September (which currently is leaning towards a Tri-Cities/Benton City 3 day weekend).
Thanks for the additional information. I was just getting ready to make payment for the Car Control Clinic on 3/14 when I realized it's during the day on a Friday. I'm taking at least two weeks off work for vacations in the next three months so I can't make Friday work right now. I hope they have the event on a weekend at some point.

I hope to be able to make the VRM tour, that sounds like fun.
Appreciate 0