Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > My tire dillema

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

12-07-2006, 04:11 PM   #1
bmq
Chief of the boat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

My tire dillema

Hey guys, I need some advice:

I have 3 original tires and one replaced tire on my E90. All are the Bridgestone RFTs. I now have approx 17,000 miles on the car. Lately there was excessive tire noise (the helicopter kind), and I took it into the dealership. They look at it and say that these tires are underinflated, plus they are overly sensitive anyway, and need to be replaced. SA tells me that BMW has some deal with Bridgestone that they are going to replace them for me for 50% off. That will still cost me $745 out the door (including tax/mounting/etc.) Here is where I need help:

1. Should I replace my tires at 17,000 miles?

2. I looked at the Tire Rack website and the same tires he is talking about are listed for about $216. (Bridgestone Turanza). SA told me they are $315 each through them and then Bridgestone will pick up 50%. So in effect, I am not getting 50% off. I called the local tire place and they told me that 4 of these tires are going to run me $897 total. That means that BMW/Bridgestone are really only giving me $153 off ($897-$745), even though they are claiming that they are giving me half off. SA says that he can't do anything about it...take it or leave it. Says that there is tire warranty until 20,000 miles, after that I am on my own and will have to cover the full amount.

I am a little confused as to my next step. Should I take his 'generous' offer? or should I wait it out for a few more months. The tread on the tires is not bad. Its the noise that is really bothering me. Its bugging me that I may have to replace all four tires at only 17,000 miles.

Your insight is greatly appreciated...
      12-07-2006, 05:51 PM   #2
bmq
Chief of the boat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Update: I spoke with my SA and asked him why BMW was charging $350 for a tire that was being sold for $216 on Tire Rack. He claims that these are especially made by BMW and have a 'star' on them. That makes them better, hence double the cost.

Is this for real? I call BS!
      12-07-2006, 06:07 PM   #3
obLu
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

Quote:
Is this for real? I call BS!
Appreciate 0