ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-21-2010, 10:02 PM   #1
mike87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

For Those Who Have Squeaky Stowed Tops: OPEN THIS

so after 2 years of dealing with the squeaky top on my z4, i finally got fed up recently and decided to tear sh*t apart. for those of you who don’t know, my top squeaks when my convertible top is stowed (SQUEAK, not rattle, if your top rattles, it is your convertible top lock/latch. There is a service bulletin out that tells you how to file down your latch if it rattles. i can find this easily, if anyone needs it, just PM me)

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
There's a modification you can do to the current latch for exactly the problem you're having. Modify your current latch to be like the one shown.

Rattle Noise From Stowed Convertible Top

MODEL
E85 Z4 - Up to 6/04

SITUATION
Some customers may complain that they hear a rattling noise coming from the convertible top when it is in the stowed position.

CAUSE
The plastic release lever on the convertible top stowage lock rattles when driving over bumps.

CORRECTION
Remove the convertible top stowage lock by following Repair Instructions 54 31 165.

File the following dimensions from the plastic tongue of the stowage lock:
Dimension A = 11 mm
Dimension B = 6 mm

those of you who were around back in the golden days when z4um.com and GVfB was around, he had a mini write-up regarding how to deal with top squeaks.

there were lots of speculation that the squeaks were coming from the convertible lock/latch that sat in the center of the convertible top, mainly stemming from the fact that bmw removed this latch in the later z4 models.

i originally thought my squeak was coming from here as well, so i took this panel off. i applied felt/friction tape EVERYWHERE i could see, and reinstalled the panel. i went for a drive and 3 miles later, the squeak reappeared. i was pissed beyond belief. so i took the panel off, and drove around a week with the panel off because i was going to take a deeper look under the panel.

i found it VERY odd how the squeak wasn't there when the panel was off (yes i drove around with the panel off with the top down looking like a n00b). upon closer inspection, i came to realize where the squeak was REALLY coming from:

(not my pics, i take no credit for these pictures; i only followed them as a guide; a great thanks to pvr on z4-forum.com for these pics):

take a philips head screwdriver and undo the two PLASTIC screws as shown below. be VERY SLOW in doing this, they are plastic screws and get stripped very easily (lord knows why they used plastic screws )

here is a pic of the screws, there are 2 of them. once the screws come out, take needle nose pliers or something of that sort to pull out the two expanding rivets (this is easy, you won't break anything here)

now this is the challenging part, start pulling upwards VERY GENTLY and pushing backwards as well. there are plastic hooks underneath this panel shown below that are VERY fragile. they will break easily if you are clumsy in this step. i wish i could be more descriptive here as to how to remove this panel, but it is very hard without physically being near your car and showing you how to do it. my best advice here is to take your time:

once you get the panel off, please note that you will see 4 springs, a red one and a plain one for each “lever”. the top-release lever is the culprit and it squeaks when driving over road imperfections when the top is down. this is because when the top is stowed, the mechanism on the car is pushed against the top-release lever and it rubs, causing the lever to develop an annoying squeak over time. remove the top two springs, and remove the lever (easy to figure out on your own). I added some felt tape to the two areas on the lever, bent the springs a little so they exerted more force on the lever, and reinstalled everything.

good luck, I take no responsibility if you break anything

Last edited by mike87; 05-21-2010 at 10:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 09:11 AM   #2
mike87
Private First Class
Rep

had some questions on this step, so here's to clarify what to do and where to put some felt/friction tape:
1. remove the two red springs circled in red
2. move the lever (green piece) around and listen for the squeak; you should hear the squeak coming from the areas i circled in white
2. take out the green piece carefully
4. apply felt tape to the areas circled in white on the lever
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 09:07 PM   #3
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

Thank you soo much, I finally got rid of that damn squeaking sound! I wrapped the hinges (the ones circled in white) with black tape and for good measure I put some tape where the springs contact the plastic. And now I no longer have any annoying squeaking sound when the top is down
      07-16-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
Jonathanwalk
Rep
Drives: 04 3.0

A dealer (who shall remain nameless... a breitling watch disappeared from the glove box while in for service) tried to remedy my squeaking by wrapping the actual latch mechanism (the metal part that sticks out) with some sort of strong tape.

Seemed to work fine but the tape ate itself several times..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 04:19 PM   #5
mike87
Private First Class
Rep

taping the latch is a temporary fix, and even with the tape, the squeak will return. the only way to fix it is to follow this DIY
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 05:06 PM   #6
psygnosis
Major
Rep

The squeaking comes from the plastic hinges, the BMW fix causes the latch to not push as much on the lever, making it less likely to squeak. The easiest and most sure fire way to kill the noise is to cover the hinges.
      07-17-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
mike87
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psygnosis View Post
The squeaking comes from the plastic hinges, the BMW fix causes the latch to not push as much on the lever, making it less likely to squeak. The easiest and most sure fire way to kill the noise is to cover the hinges.
you hit the nail right on the head!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 01:20 PM   #8
PatJags156
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Convertible

I taped it and the squek returned, as you predicted.

How do I cover the hinges? with what?

Pics?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 03:04 PM   #9
jnkhan82
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4 2.5i

This DYI did not work for me..might for you. Here's my situation and solution, not discrediting the OP, maybe my situation was different. I followed this tutorial, even tho I don't get why the sound only happens when the roof is down and not up? those hinges remain the same location if the roof is up or down. Well I still tried this DIY. I removed the panel, drove around. And WOW, no sound... So I went and put felt tape at those marked locations, drove around, no sound, 15mins later, hit a bump..sound was still there; I realized I was driving slow, normal speeds the sound was there. Confused; I took the panel off and made the soft top go up and down, trying to notice a change in that compartment... I didn't see anything. But I noticed marks on the latch. The reason the dealer's places felt tape on the latch is because that was the problem some people have ( checked out tons of forms), and its what I was having. Removing the latch will stop the sound, in my case. Tutorial was easy to do, so its not much risk in trying.

Best
      08-17-2010, 09:45 PM   #10
psygnosis
Major
Rep

The noise comes from the soft top latch pushing on the plastic lever/cover. The pressure form the latch causes parts of the cover/lever to squeak when vibrations move through the car . When the top is up the latch doesn't touch the plastic, when the top is down pressure is put on the latch pushing it into the plastic.

The BMW fix is to cut the latch so that when the top is down it shouldn't press on the plastic cover. Instead I covered every moving joint and contact point of both levers on the plastic cover with black tape and bent the springs a little so that they had more pressure to keep the lever closed and less likely to move.

But yes if you completely remove the latch it wont press on the plastic cover and thus no squeak.
      08-18-2010, 09:32 AM   #11
PatJags156
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnkhan82 View Post
This DYI did not work for me..might for you. Here's my situation and solution, not discrediting the OP, maybe my situation was different. I followed this tutorial, even tho I don't get why the sound only happens when the roof is down and not up? those hinges remain the same location if the roof is up or down. Well I still tried this DIY. I removed the panel, drove around. And WOW, no sound... So I went and put felt tape at those marked locations, drove around, no sound, 15mins later, hit a bump..sound was still there; I realized I was driving slow, normal speeds the sound was there. Confused; I took the panel off and made the soft top go up and down, trying to notice a change in that compartment... I didn't see anything. But I noticed marks on the latch. The reason the dealer's places felt tape on the latch is because that was the problem some people have ( checked out tons of forms), and its what I was having. Removing the latch will stop the sound, in my case. Tutorial was easy to do, so its not much risk in trying.

Best
Anyway you could post some pcis or a link to the How-to?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 10:51 AM   #12
Markus913
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5

This noise has been driving me crazy. I will try this out next week when I return home and let you know if it worked.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 09:55 PM   #13
amoore12
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 2.5

Mike87,

Any way you can repost the picture with all the circles?

Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 03:38 AM   #14
Stromtech
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0i 6-speed Sport

I followed the pictures for disassembly...thanks for finding the cause of the problem and posting your fix.

My solution was to spray silicon lube on the springs and plastic hinges as well as coat the plastic contact contact parts with white lithium grease...no more squeeks. In your last picture you can see 3 white marks on the actuator where the latch lever contacts the actuator and they rubtogether causing the squeek...so a bit of grease there and noise gone.

Thanks for this one...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 01:35 PM   #15
mtayloruk
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0i

mike87, thanks! After several months going crazy with the squeak in my right ear, I found your post. In my case, this wasn't the issue - I needed to place a small piece of felt between the two trim pieces to the right of the panel - they were squeaking - but your instructions helped me understand how to get the latch panel off. Thanks for the post.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 12:55 AM   #16
FiascoJ
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

When I attempted to follow this writeup, I found a loose spring laying below the latch. It's slightly bigger than the springs that are on the back of the panel Mike87 removes in this post. Does anyone know where this spring belongs?

View post on imgur.com

For those removing the panel for the first time, check out this image of the plastic hooks below. It should give you a better idea how to pull the panel off.

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 02:45 PM   #17
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Wow, how timely.
I was driving in to work this morning through the bumpy parking lot and thought I was being followed by a flock of chirpy birds.
Finally realized it was the car, not birds.
      10-05-2015, 02:47 PM   #18
BitchinManWheels
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M4, Z4, X5, Raptor

Been living with this squeak for way too long. Repair shop wanted to replace latch and top attachment. Finally followed this DIY for my '03 3.0i and it's gone! As these cars age the rattles and squeaks get worse. Plastic on plastic does not do well over time and especially in the hot desert of Arizona!
Thanks to the folks on here for saving me hundreds of dollars!
Side note: I have a brand new M4 which had tons of rattles till I got to work and followed the DIY on the F82 forum. One would think BMW would have this figured out by now!