E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > BMW Professional CD73 Retro-Fit Worries

05-21-2010, 02:44 PM   #1
jumpsuit
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport

BMW Professional CD73 Retro-Fit Worries

Apologies in advance , 1st post and already begging for help.

Ive recently aquired a 06 plate 330i M Sport , Its a fabulous car but sadly the previous owner has been a little underwelmed (like many on here) by the standard sound system.

Sadly rather than follow the route of everyone on here and fit an Alpine amp the Guy went mad and had a full-on Audio Install fitting in the process :-
Alpine flipout DVD
JL Amp - Runs almost full length of LH side of Boot
2 X JL Subs in the boot and Replacement of every speaker in the car.

You either love it or you hate it and i HATE IT BIG STYLE !!

Ive bought a replacement Professional CD73 to return the dash to standard without actually thinking wether this will run what i have as standard. My plan was to dispose of the Subs and Amp in Boot and just rely on the Professional to drive what was left.

Problem is the more i look at the system the more confused as to what mine had as standard being a M Sport . It seems to have :-
Woofers in Door
Tweeters in Door next to Mirror
Subs under Both Front Seats
2 Speakers under Rear Parcel Shelf

Cannot see an amp though this may have been removed when the Alpine /JL system was installed. Im going to cry if mine has had a Logic 7 and the guys torn it out when hes Pimped his Ride

Million Dollar Questions

Will my new Alpine Professional CD73 run what i have or am i going to need an Amp ?

Has anybody ever been in the same boat and tried to go back to Standard ?

Any advice or encouragement would be much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 02:31 AM   #2
chris330D
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

If you pop in to a BMW dealer they should give you a print out of what the car had when delivered. Not sure if this helps much as it is what is in now that you are left to work with. Standard 'professional' system has a speaker in each door (4) and subs under the front seats. You get more is you go up from Hi-Fi to Logic 7.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
jumpsuit
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport

Looked back through my paperwork and the car was origionally supplied by Stratstone Derby so i,ll give them a bell and see if they can shed any light on the history and spec of the car. Ta

Done a bit more digging inside the car and looks like the audio system may have had a complete rewire, the speaker cables from the amp in the boot are heavy duty low impedance type and i bet it will be a nightmare trying to return it to stock.

Although i can see no marks, i,d say theres a good chance that they,ve had the entire interior out of the car to do the install. Bit scary - Is there anything i need to look out for if say removing seats ect ?

Still not 100% that this is a job i should be tackling to be honest !
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Chances are if it has had new speaker wires installed then the original standard stuff should still be there. I would always leave it in so I could return the car to standard without too much grief.

With regards to your continued investigations I think if you disconnect the wiring to the seats you'll have an airbag light lit that will need a dealers attention to clear - hence most people just unbolt the seats and 'tip' them back without disconnecting the wiring when they're upgrading the subs.

You might be able to avoid this if the battery is disconnected first but I wouldn't bet on it.

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 04:26 PM   #5
msport
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Everywhere

Garage List
mines a standard 330i msport I have speakers in front doors and rear parcel shelf subs under front seats no tweeters in door next to mirrors they might of been part of his upgrade or part of an original alpine system!!

Just try disconnecting disco equipment in the boot and plugging your head unit in before you start removing trim it should work IMO.