BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-19-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

BRracing – NOT Recommended!

BRracing – NOT Recommended!

This is fairly long. But, at minimum, it should make for an entertaining read. Depending on your particular circumstances, it may prove informative and/or highly beneficial too.

There was a time, not too long ago, that I believed in BRracing. In fact, I posted a positive review of them. Well, it’s sad to know that I had spoken much too soon. My review was posted prior to getting all the parts I ordered from them, as well as prior to having them installed. Also, my review was written well before I was on the wrong end of a very poor decision BRracing made concerning one returned item. I was as wrong as one could be about BRracing. (And, I definitely learned a lesson.)

As this site does not allow post deletions, I deleted/edited my positive review of BRracing. This, considering the misdirection that it would potentially provide forum members. In its place, I put what follows. My hope is that it inspires BRracing to improve their business practices, on many fronts, as well as knowledge of the E82 overall. Also, provide forum members with information that could prove beneficial if BRracing is in the cards for you (NOT recommended) or educational overall for those that are considering ordering parts from any vendor.

Now, I would love to share every small detail of all that transpired over 8 weeks or so with BRracing, but I don’t think it makes sense. Instead, while certainly lengthy still, I will simply state irrefutable facts on what transpired.

Before I begin, to be perfectly fair, I will tell you that BRracing did attempt to remedy an issue or two that they may/may not have directly caused. They also came to the table on one particular financial matter...only after I STRONGLY urged them to do so. They’ve attempted to help here and there with installation, etc. And, for the most part, do try to be of assistance. In fact, they seem like relatively nice people. BUT, all of this being so does not excuse what follows.

The Start:

• I purchased a package of parts approaching $9k from BRracing.
• I followed their guidance on specific products/purchases.
• I was assured that all items would fit my E82 and perform flawlessly. (This was “a direct bolt-on kit.”)
• I was very happy to have found what appeared to be a knowledgeable shop.
• I was extremely excited to have what was expected to be a truly phenomenal transformation done to my E82 135i shortly under way.

Shipping/Delivery:

• I was misled on shipping/delivery dates on more than one occasion, resulting in difficulty scheduling installation.
• I was forced to wait until I actually had all items in my possession to schedule installation as to not screw the installation shop with a cancellation if the parts did not come when promised. This pushed the installation out a couple of weeks because the shop I was using was being booked by other customers daily.

My Tale of Woe Begins:

• After receiving all items, I scheduled installation. I was as certain as I could have been that all parts were correct and I was good to go.
• The car was dropped off at the shop. The install was to take 16 – 20 hours. I brought the car in on a Thursday morning and was to pick it up the next afternoon.
• I received a call from the shop the next morning (day of scheduled pick-up) informing me that two parts were incorrect. The regulator bracket for the rear headlight control module was wrong. And, the wrong rear dampers were shipped!
• My vehicle was now to be left over the weekend in the shop, on the lift, awaiting a remedy.

It makes sense to state FACTS surrounding each of these parts issues separately. And, what do you know, I found yet additional issues later on. Keep reading…

AST Damper F’ Up, Part 1:

• BRracing and AST Suspension spoke. It turned out that rear dampers for a stock E82 were shipped. As I was doing a full M3 conversion, I needed the dampers for the M3. (The attachment points are different between them.)
• BRracing first took the blame for the order screw up. They told me directly that it was their fault. Then, they retracted, stating that AST messed it up in the handling of the order/shipment. I don’t know who messed it up, but BRracing (my vendor) was responsible for me (the customer) getting the correct parts.
• AST was now going to directly send the correct dampers to my shop.
• The new rear dampers arrived the following Monday morning.
• There was yet another problem! While the dampers were now correct, they sent them with a missing spacer that was needed for my application.
• While all was supposed to be remedied Monday, we were now pushed yet another day.
• The spacers were shipped and arrived Tuesday.
• The rear dampers were finally fit correctly …4 days later.

AST Damper F’ Up, Part 2:

• When I received my AST kit initially, I took immediate note of the fact that the front dampers were assembled and shipped with helper springs. (I did not order these!)
• I contacted both AST and BRracing individually to discuss why they were installed on the assemblies and asked each their opinion on whether or not I should leave them on.
• AST said that they were installed, even though I did not order them, because so many people were requesting them. As such, they decided that they would start including them with orders, requested or not.
• Both BRracing and AST ultimately told me that there was no harm in keeping them on - “might as well” - so I did so.
• Fast-forward to returning to my shop to pick up my car… (Now, I’ll be posting something on the horrible service I received at this shop separately. But, I digress.)
• I note that the front end is not dropped the relatively mild 1” from stock height that I requested.
• The shop told me that the coilovers were set as low as they could go in front; about ½” down from stock. Why?
• Both AST and BRracing neglected to either 1.) Tell me that the helper springs NEEDED to come out to get that 1” drop (which they knew well that I wanted) or 2.) Inform me that I would need shorter main springs than what was shipped/I ordered if I wanted to keep the helper springs.
• So, due to yet another screw up by BRracing/AST, I was/am left having to remove the entire front assemblies, then remove the helper springs or get shorter main springs! (I have not done anything yet to remedy this. The car currently sits incorrectly.)
• None of this would have happened if BRracing ensured that what I ordered was in fact shipped. Or, informed me of the drop issue I would have if I were to leave the helper springs on.

Headlight F’ Ups, Part 1:

• As I was (reasonably) frustrated with BRracing for sending the aforementioned wrong rear regulator bracket, as well as the damper issues, I told them I would have my shop order the correct rear factory bracket directly.
• It turns out that THERE IS NO CORRECT FACTORY BRACKET! As Harold at HP Autowerks will be happy to tell you, a custom, properly engineered bracket is needed to do this conversion PROPERLY. Otherwise, you will be left with headlights that are not aiming to factory spec. (BRracing is not/was not even aware of this fact.)
• I had my shop make a temporary bracket so I could get my car back.
• This bracket was not “in spec.”
• So, ultimately, the rear M3 conversion “kit” BRracing sold me was incomplete/inaccurate. They do not have a real solution. They’ll simply sell you an incorrect M3 OEM bracket. (That is, if they can get the order right. Remember, the one they sent didn’t fit AT ALL, never mind to factory spec!)
• I have a HUGE thanks to give to Harold / HP Autowerks for providing needed assistance to remedy this issue. HP Autowerks is the ONLY source for a complete and correct M3 conversion package. I am grateful to have found them and will surely make future purchases from them. (HP Autowerks …HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!)

Headlight F’ Ups, Part 2:

• For obvious reasons, I decided to do a full inspection of both the front and rear headlight control assemblies myself.
• BRracing had provided, and I paid for, replacement M3 brackets and regulator rods, front and rear. This totaled 4 individual parts.
• It turns out that the front bracket and rear rod are the same exact part used on both the E82 and M3.
• BRracing did not know this.
• These two parts, added to the incorrect rear bracket, totals 3 of 4 parts that were incorrect.
• BRracing sold me three parts that were not needed/were incorrect for a proper M3 kit/conversion.

Oh boy, on to ANOTHER SCREW UP!

The Vorshlag Camber Plate FFFFFF’ UP! (I’m being way too nice here.)

• I get the car home.
• The next morning I start pulling out of the driveway and begin hearing a serious “creaking” sound.
• LONG story short, after researching this a bit and speaking with Vorshlag directly, THE CAMBER PLATES WERE WRONG!
• For my application, the camber plates needed a special spacer.
• Without the spacer the threaded bolt that comes out of the top of the front dampers is too tall.
• This results in that bolt (which moves as you move the wheels from side to side) rubbing against the bottom of the corner factory strut braces.
• Vorshlag was kind enough to send me the spacers …for free. Thank you Terry Fair/Vorshlag!
• I now have to install the spacers into the camber plates to relieve this problem.
• Now, the bottoms of my corner braces are beaten to hell from the hard contact of the moving damper bolts. They are compromised and will likely be susceptible to rust, at minimum.

ILLEGAL BEHAVIOR by BRracing - Sway Bar Return:

• One item in my order was the UUC sway bar kit, front and rear. BRracing highly recommended these bars, so I purchased them.
• While awaiting the bars, I read a number of stories of people having issues with fitment. And, I heard a couple stories concerning potential quality issues.
• I then received them …in completely inadequate packaging. (You should have seen how poorly they were packed/shipped from the factory.)
• I decided to investigate these recommended bars further considering my new concern over fitment and quality, as well as being completely let down with the lack of attention the factory paid to packing/shipping.
• HP Autowerks, as well as a new and HIGHLY educated shop I found that specializes in racing BMWs and Porsches, informed me of the high probability of having bars that were much too stiff for the desired result if I were to install them.
• All of this combined led me to want to return the bars to BRracing.
• BRracing agreed to the return, but would not give me a full credit for them.
• BRracing claimed that, although they had not informed me on any level of the “standard industry practice” they adhere to of charging a restocking fee on returned items – not verbally, by email, through/on invoice, stated on their website, or otherwise – they would in fact charge me for the return.
• The FACT is that ALL shops/retailers MUST CLEARLY DISPLAY/COMMUNICATE RETURN POLICIES! This is FACT. This is LAW.
• If I had known that no brand new item could be returned without a significant penalty, I would in fact have reconsidered the entire purchase. (“Common industry practice” is NOT the issue. The issue is INFORMING YOUR CUSTOMERS properly. Again, the law …for a reason.)
• I asked BRracing, on numerous occasions, considering that they did not inform me on any level of their seemingly last minute “policy,” I had purchased a substantial package from them and, in fact they’d be breaking the law if otherwise, to “do the right thing” and return ALL of the charge for these sway bars.
• They have declined to do so.
• BRracing has conducted illegal behavior.
• BRracing has effectively stolen money from me.

So, that’s the bulk of the PLAIN FACTS surrounding my horrible experience in purchasing this package from BRracing.

Ultimately, BRracing:
• Did not look after this order well at all
• Misled me on ship dates
• Stole money from me
• Shipped and billed me for a few incorrect parts
• Neglected to tell me that my headlights will not perform to spec. with their “complete and correct kit”
• Is likely going to cost me in the neighborhood of $600 - $1,000 MORE to have a shop do all the work to fix these issues, get a rental car, etc.
• Caused me to spend more time ($) and suffer through utter frustration than what should have been
• Ill-advised me on a number of purchases overall, as well as remedies to issues

In the end, it really doesn’t matter if BRracing appears to be friendly. And, put some effort into trying to remedy a couple of issues. Simply, all aforementioned issues do not accompany a truly knowledgeable, capable, competent, trustworthy and honest shop. BRracing has displayed none of the traits that would result in a positive review by any reasonable customer. In fact, it’s quite the opposite. They have displayed behavior consistent with being incompetent, dishonest, unknowledgeable, untrustworthy and incapable. In no way, shape, or form would I ever recommend BRracing.

BRracing = PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK!

(Don’t tell me that you weren’t warned!)
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 02:40 AM   #2
fatjoez
student
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e90

wow, any pics?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 07:17 AM   #3
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Once the car is correct I plan on taking a few and posting them. I'm hoping to have all issues remedied by the end of next week.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 07:58 AM   #4
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Assume you went with the M3 front sway? Good move with not doing the UUC unit. I'm now using my stock bar, since the "final" one shipped to me sucked so badly.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 08:19 AM   #5
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the confirmation!

Yes, I went with the stiffer convertible M3 bar up front. And, the standard M3 bar in the back. Overall, I'm VERY happy with ride quality and handling. It's been a remarkable transformation at the end of the day. I just need to get it all sorted properly now.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 11:59 AM   #6
airs
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Space Gray 135i

Holy crap. I will be staying FAR FAR away from BRacing. It would be interesting to see a response to this from them though.
      05-20-2010, 12:53 PM   #7
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm sure a response would be interesting, but I went with stating IRREFUTABLE FACTS for a reason. Regardless of what they may say, how they position what went down, etc., THIS IS PRECISELY WHAT HAPPENED. It's really unfortunate.

I maintain that others may have / have had better experiences. BUT, the question I'd be asking myself if I were to ever consider them would be ...should I take a risk in seeking guidance from them, having them do the work, etc? For me, the answer is obvious. NO! There are factually better sources out there on all fronts.

Thanks for your feedback.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 01:03 PM   #8
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

You should just be happy they were not the ones actually doing the work on your car.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 04:10 PM   #9
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique14 View Post
You should just be happy they were not the ones actually doing the work on your car.
This is true! But, I found NO LUCK elsewhere!

See here for details: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388839
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 12:39 PM   #10
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBW View Post
This is true! But, I found NO LUCK elsewhere!

See here for details: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388839
Shipping your car to the West coast and have us work on it is always an option!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 10:31 PM   #11
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by airs View Post
Holy crap. I will be staying FAR FAR away from BRacing. It would be interesting to see a response to this from them though.
It has been months and we still haven't seen any replies from BR Racing.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2010, 12:10 PM   #12
Randall41
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Alpine White

Very well written and quite informative. Answered many of the questions I had regarding this conversion.
Thanks much.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 10:27 PM   #13
Sidh135i
BMW Technician
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

wow, I will definitely stay away from BRracing now. Thanks for the warning! good luck with your car.

Jet Black | Coral Red | 6 MT | Comfort Access | 35% Tint | CF Grills | CF Mirrors | Bimmian CF Interior | CF Spoiler | M Door Sills | BMS DCI | Stett Charge Pipe | Berk Sport Muffler | Tow Plate
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 10:53 PM   #14
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBW View Post
Shipping/Delivery:

• I was misled on shipping/delivery dates on more than one occasion, resulting in difficulty scheduling installation.
• I was forced to wait until I actually had all items in my possession to schedule installation as to not screw the installation shop with a cancellation if the parts did not come when promised. This pushed the installation out a couple of weeks because the shop I was using was being booked by other customers daily.

• I received a call from the shop the next morning (day of scheduled pick-up) informing me that two parts were incorrect. The regulator bracket for the rear headlight control module was wrong. And, the wrong rear dampers were shipped!

ILLEGAL BEHAVIOR by BRracing - Sway Bar Return:

• One item in my order was the UUC sway bar kit, front and rear. BRracing highly recommended these bars, so I purchased them.
• While awaiting the bars, I read a number of stories of people having issues with fitment. And, I heard a couple stories concerning potential quality issues.
• I then received them …in completely inadequate packaging. (You should have seen how poorly they were packed/shipped from the factory.)
Wow sounds like me. I ordered a F&R sway kit from UUC also. They shipped out and when I went into have it installed the shop told me the front bar didn't fit. I spoke to BR and they told me to take photos, contacted UUC for answers (which took 3 1/2 fucking weeks. I'm sorry thats unacceptable if you are a vendor for a company you should be doing your damn best to push that company to get you some answers ASAP) and finally told me they had accidentally sold me the wrong bar (UUC's fault, not BR's... of course).

So UUC was set to ship out a replacment but when I got no word of a package they checked and found out UUC shipped it to Vermont instead of them in California. First of all, why not just ship it directly to me in Chicago instead of going from Atlanta to Cali back to Chicago. Fine, I know UUC has been kinda sketchy lately so I said whatever. I was told they finally got the bar and it was packed up waiting to be shipped out. This is where I really got mad...

a little over a week goes by and still no package from them so when I email them again to find out whats going on, I got this response:
Quote:
BRracing to me show details Oct 27

Seth,
There is no excuse for this, it is completely my fault.
We had a pro race this past week and your bar was completely packaged and ready to go however, we were so slammed with getting the cars prepped that I dropped the ball on getting the bar out to you in time.
If there is anything that I can do to make this up to you please let me know.
Additionally, if you need assistance on anything for the car in the future or any parts please save this message and I will provide you with a discount due to my lack of follow through on this. I am greatly sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you and hope to work with you again.
Again I am sorry.
Thanks

BRracing
Now I'm not totally unreasonable and understand sometimes stuff gets overlooked (in this case overlooked for 5 whole days before the race weekend) but this was sent to me on a Wed afternoon after racing weekend AFTER I had to ASK why hadn't gotten to me yet. Why didn't it even get shipped out on Monday or Tuesday after the big weekend for that matter?

They always had an excuse for everything, didn't follow through very well or work on my (the customer's) behalf to get things fixed and couldn't offer much to remedy the situation.

Maybe I'm spoiled because of great vendors I use like WSTO, GetBMWparts.com and IND but customer assistance is #1 in my book. They offered me a discount but I'll never go back to them for anything.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 09:34 AM   #15
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It sucks that you had to go through that BS. I'm sorry to hear it.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 09:57 AM   #16
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
yeah you too man, these two companies are bad enough on their own let alone when combined together.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 10:10 AM   #17
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I agree.

BTW, your car looks great!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 10:21 AM   #18
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 03:15 PM   #19
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

did the UUC front bar they sold you have 3 holes? They tried to sell me that one at one point as they had it in stock. I told them it was an old version that will not fit and rip out your brake lines if on full stiff. If they sold you that one after being told about the issues then they deserve a ton of crap.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 03:58 PM   #20
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
probably, I took it to IND to be installed and they were like "dude this thing isn't long enough to fit properly". UUC has been slacking bad lately and BR's run around didn't help at all. Oh well, now I know better for next time. Go to the STO or go home.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2010, 12:20 AM   #21
onefastman
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 2011 e92m dct

It appears that you picked a company that just "sells parts" and expected a company that would compleately cater to your every need and no thats not me being sarcastic. I believe that when you spend that kind of money in a single purchase you ought to get the royal treatment. However you may have picked the wrong company to do that.

Good warning for others out there, not just the products matter, chose your shop/vendor wisely which is why I only believe three vendors meet the highest level of customer service: Icarbon, Terry @ BMS, and Alex @ Alpine.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #22
TMc135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Garage List
BR Racing has been solid for me

No discounting what happened to OP... just want to let anyone reading this that for every one bad post, there are many who are happy with their service. I was actually just getting ready to post some kudos to Vorshlag (Terry) and BR Racing for bending over backwards to help resolve a quality issue I had. I have ordered quite a bit from BR Racing and have had nothing but good things to say. There have been a few mishaps due to miscommunication but they have always been MORE than accommodating. Again, not discounting OP's issue and am disappointed to hear that but wanted to let you know that my service with these guys has been positive. Hope it all works out for you in the end OP.

(2008 135i modded - SOLD, 2006 E90 330xi - SOLD, 1995 M3 track car - SOLD)
Appreciate 0