BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition    Exersion Headache

05-17-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
stimpy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Exersion Headache

Long story short, I fucked up my breathing (holding in) on a heavy lift yesterday and I got a massive exersion headache (upper back of my head) and had to call it a day. It went away about an hour later then came back that night after some romping with the woman.

I rarely get headaches and have never had a migraine so with that being said, this is the worst headache I've ever had. I still feel a little pressure in the back of my head and I assume it will come back when I go to the gym today.

I did a little research and read that some people sit on their ass for a week or two and also some people pop some ibuprofen's 30 minutes before they work out for a week or two until the headaches/pressure goes away for good.

Anyone have this before? Any advice besides 'breathe better'? I knew I messed up the moment I did it
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

be careful you could have popped a vessel also. deadlifts?

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 05:24 PM   #3
stimpy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
be careful you could have popped a vessel also. deadlifts?
Happened while bench lifting - bumped my weight up and gave a little extra gung-ho on the last one and forgot to breathe.

I think I'm just going to pop some ibruprofen before the gym today and go walk/jog for 45-60 minutes to see how I do.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

good plan. watch it close for a while just to be safe.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 05:34 PM   #5
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

Hello. I am a physician and also lift alot of weights. That being said, being the internet, don't take my advice as equivalent to your actual physician (legal mumbo jumbo, etc.). Anyway, the same thing happened to me last year. However, "worst headache I've ever had" is a buzzword all physician's learn in medical school to mean SAH or subarachnoid hemorrhage (see: Bret Michaels). If you're young and/or healthy, it's very unlikely that's the situation, however weight lifting does transiently elevate your blood pressure which could result in excessive stress, and eventual rupture of a weakened blood vessel in your head. Again, not to scare you, as I highly highly doubt this is your issue. But, if you at any point have neurological changes (vision changes, body weakness, numbness, loss of consciousness, etc) seek immediate help.

That out of the way... what do I think you have? Probably what I think I had - a micro tear of some of my occipital muscles. For me, it was along the back of my head, right side. For weeks, I could be absolutely fine, but the second I picked up a weight of any size, boom - pain for at least 15 minutes. I did NSAIDS (Ibuprofen or Tylenol) pre-workout, which helped some. However, I had to, albeit to my frustration, take off for a solid 2 weeks before it healed and I was able to workout pain-free. To this day, I still take NSAIDS before working out, for fear of this ever returning. Yeah, it sucked. I feel your pain. Hope this helps.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 05:52 PM   #6
stimpy
Colonel
Rep

I will definitely seek immediate attention if I have any of those symptons.

It does sound like I am experiencing the same thing you did. It's in the upper back of my head and goes around around a little to the right. Did you have to take two weeks off from both lifting and cardio or just lifting?

I'm hoping I won't need to take time off but if that's what I need to do, that's what I'll do.

Thank you very much.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 07:15 PM   #7
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

No problem. I recall doing some cardio, but personally, I'm never one to do much cardio in general. I would advise you to just bite the bullet and do nothing. Just cut back on your diet a little to compensate. Trust me, I hate how it feels to be out of the gym that long, but really, it's what your body needs. When you resume, I'd definitely do the NSAIDS for a little while until you're sure you're in the clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
I will definitely seek immediate attention if I have any of those symptons.

It does sound like I am experiencing the same thing you did. It's in the upper back of my head and goes around around a little to the right. Did you have to take two weeks off from both lifting and cardio or just lifting?

I'm hoping I won't need to take time off but if that's what I need to do, that's what I'll do.

Thank you very much.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0