E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Another e92 tint thread

12-04-2006, 04:43 PM   #1
kaji335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Another e92 tint thread

I recently had my e92 tinted with HO tint and the rear window has the same problem that many have talked about, the dot matrix on the e92 is quite large (about 4") from the top of the window. These dots get progressively smaller as it moves away from the windows edge (I will try and post some pictures later). The larger dots at the windows edge extends down about 2 1/2" and prevents the tint from sticking to the window surface and causes a white hue when looking at the window from the outside.

I know this problem is common on most BMWs, (my e46 had it), but because of the size and scaling of the matrix on the e92 is so large, it is much more profound.

I know many have stated that this is due to the window not being prepared properly, but I have full confidence in the tinter and he did tell me before hand that the hue would be there (the only thing he wasn’t sure of was how big the hue would be due to the dots scaling in size, the tint sticks well to the smaller dots at the bottom with no hue), unless one of the options were done to the window.

After doing some research on the options he told me about and looking at others I found, it appears that there are only a few options in dealing with this, none of which are that appealing:

1. Live with the white hue at the outer edge. (This wouldn't be such a bad option if the matrix wasn't so large.)
2. Have the dots removed (sanded) before having tint applied/reapplied.
3. Find an installer that knows how to use stationary glue over the dot matrix when installing the tint. (I have never seen this done.)
4. Paint over the matrix before having tint applied/reapplied.
5. Have the installer use a vinyl covering over the matrix.

I am kind of leaning toward the vinyl option as it would be the most viable option, since sanding or painting isn't needed. The only thing that would have to be done is cutting the section of tint that lays over the matrix, removing it, and then having black vinyl applied with a small overlap on the tint. Before I have this done, I wanted to check with others to see how they have over come this issue on e92s. What is the most common approach to this problem?

I have read through the majority of threads regarding this, but most of the responses are coming from people with e46s, and because the matrix is so different on the e92, I wanted to get some additional feed back.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 04:46 PM   #2
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Ive had windows with the dots before, I dont even know if my E90 has them. But I just lived with it as is, to me its not that big of a deal.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 08:19 PM   #3
wombatpower
Lt Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 20% tint all around

I got my windows tinited to 20% and for the rear the people that tinted my car actually covered over the dot matrix so it looks fine. my advise is to go to a quality tint shop maybe an asian one. It took the guy liike an hour to do the back
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 08:38 PM   #4
kaji335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatpower
I got my windows tinited to 20% and for the rear the people that tinted my car actually covered over the dot matrix so it looks fine. my advise is to go to a quality tint shop maybe an asian one. It took the guy liike an hour to do the back
I think the type of tint may be part of the problem. Using ceramic tint means a thicker film and this probably contributes to the tint not molding to the spaces between the dots. What type of tint did you put on the rear window Wombat (llumar?)?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 08:38 PM   #5
Norsk
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Yep

Just need a true professional shop and they will prep the windows properly, as well as the Dot Matrix!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 09:05 PM   #6
lance
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaji335i
3. Find an installer that knows how to use stationary glue over the dot matrix when installing the tint. (I have never seen this done.)
These 3 solutions you stated here are not what you want, believe me, i know.

First of all, you can not remove the dot matrix from glass, at least not in a primitive matter!! Secondly the glue option that I have seen stated here several times just doesn't work. It may look (ok) for a little while but it will not last. Thirdly painting over the dot matrix just makes no sense at all. Why would someone go to the trouble of painting over dot matrix.

The vinyl option is THE only way to go. Just make sure your tint shop uses the correct vinyl and not one that is prone to shrinking.

If you have any other question feel free to ask.

Lance
      12-04-2006, 11:12 PM   #7
kaji335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks for the input Lance, pretty much what my installer has been saying. I did check with another tint shop and they use the glue method for large dot matrix cars, and they also said it will discolor over time due to the glue constantly being heated and cooled. Going back to my installer tomorrow to see what the vinyl option will look like.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 11:37 PM   #8
Ascension
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i & 2010 535i

Garage List
2010 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
I recently had my e92 tinted with HO tint and the rear window has the same problem that many have talked about, the dot matrix on the e92 is quite large (about 4") from the top of the window. These dots get progressively smaller as it moves away from the windows edge (I will try and post some pictures later). The larger dots at the windows edge extends down about 2 1/2" and prevents the tint from sticking to the window surface and causes a white hue when looking at the window from the outside.

I know this problem is common on most BMWs, (my e46 had it), but because of the size and scaling of the matrix on the e92 is so large, it is much more profound.

I know many have stated that this is due to the window not being prepared properly, but I have full confidence in the tinter and he did tell me before hand that the hue would be there (the only thing he wasn’t sure of was how big the hue would be due to the dots scaling in size, the tint sticks well to the smaller dots at the bottom with no hue), unless one of the options were done to the window.

After doing some research on the options he told me about and looking at others I found, it appears that there are only a few options in dealing with this, none of which are that appealing:

1. Live with the white hue at the outer edge. (This wouldn't be such a bad option if the matrix wasn't so large.)
5. Have the installer use a vinyl covering over the matrix.

I am kind of leaning toward the vinyl option as it would be the most viable option, since sanding or painting isn't needed. The only thing that would have to be done is cutting the section of tint that lays over the matrix, removing it, and then having black vinyl applied with a small overlap on the tint. Before I have this done, I wanted to check with others to see how they have over come this issue on e92s. What is the most common approach to this problem?

I have read through the majority of threads regarding this, but most of the responses are coming from people with e46s, and because the matrix is so different on the e92, I wanted to get some additional feed back.

Thanks.
SORRY KAJI my bay area brother, but I had to do it

2006 330i Jet Black w/ Beige Leather/Sport/Prem/Step/Shades/Xenon/Logic 7
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2006, 12:26 AM   #9
scm6079
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, Lotus Exige S260

Garage List
Chapman BMW Camelback did the tint on my car -- and it looks perfect over the dots... no idea how they did it, but you could always email/call them (Chapman BMW on Camelback Rd. in Phoenix, AZ) and talk to their techs... Sorry this isn't a terribly helpful post other than to say it can be done.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2006, 01:22 AM   #10
kaji335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension
SORRY KAJI my bay area brother, but I had to do it
hahaha no problem Ascension, pics coming tomorrow. Need to get some in the sun and couldnt get any when I got home as it was dark.

Scm: what kind of tint did they put on? Was it a ceramic? If it was llumar, chances are it was done with the glue method, it seems to be the way most professionals do it, but I have heard that it tends to discolor in less than 6 months, so I want to avoid it if possible. I will give Chapman a call tomorrow to see what info I can get.

If anyone has feedback on longevity of tint with the glue method please feel free to give me your opinions.

Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2006, 02:27 AM   #11
SkipSauls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 35d

Garage List
On one hand I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem, but on the other it sucks that the only option is to put vinyl over the dots, which is what the tint shop I used suggested. I got my tint from the dealership when I bought the car, and they apparently use a shop that isn't the one that some of the dealers like, which I didn't know. I'm hoping that my dealer will make good on his promise to "make things right" and get a refund for me so I can go to the shop that he uses, which he claims will do the job properly. Having the ugly white gaps in the tint ruins an otherwise lovely car!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2006, 04:40 AM   #12
krafty04
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 04 Jeep Gr. Cherokee Overland

Had same problem with previous car, tint shop told me there would be white gaps, didn't belive them.. when I picked up the car, I said I could live with it.. went back three days later.

To fix the problem, they removed the top 6 inches of tint over the dot matrix, then they used a film that was not tint, but solid black. They only used it to cover the dots.. ie. the first 6 inches.. then used regular tint for the rest of the back window. It was the bomb and it's what I'll do for the rest of my dot matrix cars.
04 325 (sold)
98 318ti (daughters ride now)
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2006, 12:14 PM   #13
kaji335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Spoke with Mark at Chapman BMW and he stated that while they try to eliminate the dots, chances are there will be some due to the pattern on the e92. It is a common problem according to him.

Here is a pic of the window from an angle that shows the white dots.

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2006, 12:31 PM   #14
kaji335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Heres a better pic of the window with the dots.

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2006, 12:43 PM   #15
Ascension
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i & 2010 535i

Garage List
2010 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Kaji, I am not happy with your results I would highly recommend this company: California Auto Tinting & Polishing
130 E Sunnyoaks Ave
Campbell, CA
Phone: 408-370-9399
Attached Images

2006 330i Jet Black w/ Beige Leather/Sport/Prem/Step/Shades/Xenon/Logic 7
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2006, 01:41 PM   #16
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:

Ok, thats pretty bad, I take back my previous comment, I could not live that either.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2006, 03:44 PM   #17
Shawn_speed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i 6Sp.

Maybe slightly off topic but is the dot matrix a problem with just the e92 or the e90 as well?

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2006, 04:23 PM   #18
lance
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i Coupe

Quote:

Oh my god!!! Not to be mean but that looks terrible. Looks like they did "ZERO" prep work on the dot matrix!! And what the heck are those other spots on the rest of the window? Is there water on the inside?

Our customers would poop if we turned over a car to them that looked like that! you definitly need to take it back. Give em hell!!
      12-05-2006, 05:41 PM   #19
kaji335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Update

After visiting several tint shops in my area, I have finally come to realize that this problem is only with the e92 window. Probably due to the different angle of the window, BMW decided to add a much wider matrix to break up the sun.

Both shops I went to said basically said the same thing as my original tinter, the matrix is too large and the dots don't have enough space between them for the film to adhere properly. There is no way of eliminating the air pockets between the dots without having to do some alterantion to the back window. Here is a summary of the options as laid out by the tint shops.

1. Sanding the dots to get it smooth with the glass. This is a common practice by many tinters and provides a very clean look. However, sanding will damage the defroster lines and there is no way around that as the dots and defroster lines overlap each other on the e92. (By far the best looking option too bad the dots and lines overlap).

2. Use of glue in the dot matrix area. The glue acutally has two functions, the first is to help adhere the tint to the uneven surface and it also acts as a filler for the recesses between the dots. Over time as this glue breaks down (they use stationary glue so it does't react to constant heating and cooling well) and will eventually look like my tint with the air pockets. The second tinter I went to had a perfect example of what will happen over time, they had a car there that had the glue applied on the original install and was there to have the tint removed and reinstalled. (Not a good option unless you want to retint your rear window ever 1-2 years.

The original picture I posted shows some large patches of white, after the window was tinted the entire area over the matix looked that way, but as it dries it becomes less noticable as only the dots have air bubbles around them. So if you can live with every dot having a white boarder (which translates into a white hue from a distance) then you should be okay.

I didn't like it so I had them do a vinyl covering over the matix. It looks much better and its very had to tell that the vinyl isnt part of the stock window.

Lots of people assumes it was done poorly, but I assure you that the tinter I used is very good, and after hearing the same thing from two other tint shops after they looked at my car, I am confident that his recommendations and comments were true and on par with others in his industry. The entire tint job looked superb, except for the area over the matrix.

I am very happy with the vinyl option as it looks very good and looks as if it was part of the original window, and no more white dots.

Thanks for everyones input. Hope this helps anyone who is looking to tint their e92.

-Kaji
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2006, 05:53 PM   #20
kaji335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance
Oh my god!!! Not to be mean but that looks terrible. Looks like they did "ZERO" prep work on the dot matrix!! And what the heck are those other spots on the rest of the window? Is there water on the inside?

Our customers would poop if we turned over a car to them that looked like that! you definitly need to take it back. Give em hell!!
Don't worry, I agree with you 100% that it looks aweful. The tinter did tell me that there would be white around the matrix area, and being that this was his first e92, he wasnt sure on how bad it would be. After the install he offered to fix it anyway I choose as he too agreed it looked bad, so I wanted to do some research prior to him doing this.

I keep hearing people say prep work done to the dot matrix, what prep work are you talking about? My tinter stated that they did clean the window very well, used tack cloths to remove lint and dust prior to tinting. Even if the window was removed from the car and scrubbed, it still wouldn't eliminate the spaces and grooves between the dots which is the cause of the dots.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2006, 06:39 PM   #21
digi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 m3

Are you saying that the dots on the e92 are that abnormal, or large as you say, compared to other cars? I don't get this because I've had many experiences with different tint shops with various cars. The one I go to now, which is a formula one dealer, has not had a single problem with four cars I brought to him. Expecially with the top part of the matrix, as the angle is wide and easy to get to. Now the bottom dots, which in some cars have a very sharp angle, cause slight problems. To my knowledge from chats with the installers, the best way to tackle the dot matrix is to prep and bake. It is best to get tints done on a hot and humid summer day. They leave the car out in the blazing sun for hours so the tints almost melt and conform as much as it can around the dots. Seems to work everytime. Then again, I always go during summertime....
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2006, 07:18 PM   #22
kaji335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

If you look at the picture I posted you can see (sorry for the bad picture), that the dots scale in size, which is abnormal as well as extending down about 5 inches also abnormal. Most cars have a very minimal matrix around the boarder, the e92 is very different. When only a small protion of the tint is covering the matrix (most cars have about a 1/4 inch matrix around the rear window) it isnt very noticable.

I agree with the prep and bake, but that is very subjective as different types of tint will have different degress of flexiblity. Standard llumar tint is much more pliable since it is thin. I had Huper Optiks installed which is a ceramic based tint and is very think and ridged. I doubt that leaving it in the sun will make it pliable enough to adhere to the grooves between the dots. Tinters usually heat and shrink the tint during install, so if they arent able to get it in place with heat + preasure from a rubber squeegee, I doubt heat from the sun will do anything.
Appreciate 0