BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-08-2010, 10:58 PM   #1
NoMetalAlchemist
Rep
Drives: TitanSilber E46 325i

///M1 May be a Possible Name

Before I begin, This is just an article I found in the May 2010 Roundel. Page 34. "BMW to produce M1 Hommage." This is the entire article. It's not mine, and I claim no ownership.

Then discuss

Quote:
"BMW Board member Herbert Diess chose an interview with England's Car Magazine to announce that management will give the green light for production of the sensational M1 Hommage. In case you've forgotten, that's a concept car introduced in Spring of 2008 honoring the M1 mid-engine coupe built by BMW Motorsport during the late '70s and early '80s.

Diess, director of BMW Motorrad, BMW's motorcycle division, didn't reveal many other details--except to say that the car would be available with three optional engines: six, eight, and ten cylinders.

He surprised BMW fans by saying the new car will not wear the nameplate of its famous predecessor. That's the heart of the lively debate; two years ago, BMW traditionalists were appalled by speculation that a new M model based on the 1 Series would be christened "M1" That badge was already taken by the legendary coupe, they huffed. It will be interesting to see if BMW brass listens to their customers--who, in many cases, had been driving BMWs before those executives were drawing a paycheck. Diess' announcement did not address that issue, and raised another topic for debate.

When the Hommage was introduced, BMW management said it wouldn't necessarily go into production. Is this about-face proof that BMW is feeling the heat from arch-rival Audi, who already builds a supercar?"
Not to start another naming thread, but after reading this I wanted some feedback. If they are going to produce the Hommage, thats fine; but it could be the new 8-series OR a new series altogether. (Although reusing the 8-series would be smart because most BMW owners know that the 8-series was BMW's supercars)

Second, this article proves one of two things: the Germans love tradition and the car will be an ///M1, or, BMW will never again use ///M1 as a name

BMW S1000RR
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 02:56 AM   #2
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

My feeling is that ///M1 name would never be used again if it's not used for the 1 series.

That was the first ///M - either it would be a ///M8 or just ///M.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 07:08 AM   #3
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

If BMW builds a supercar I think it will neither be M1, because it makes no sense the fastest M would have the smallest number. If the M1 Original was called so, it is because it was the first ///M car, not a BMW car but a BMW Motorsport car, and how would they call it? M for motorsport and 1 because the first. Nor would it be M8, because M8 is an M version of the BMW 8 Series, which in fact is a BMW 7 Series Coupé, just like the BMW 6 Series is a BMW 5 Series Coupé, and so should there be a BMW 4 Series, a Coupé version af the BMW 3 Series and a BMW 2 Series, a Coupé version of the BMW 1 Series. I think if ther will reall be a BMW supercar, it would be called Z9, Z10, M9 or M10. IMO M10 sounds the best, just like the first M1 but with a Zero. Ten times better?

If the BMW 1 Series Coupé by M will be called M1, it is very good, because in case the next BMW 1 Series Coupé will be called BMW 2 Series, and so M2 for the M version, there is anyway hope for an M version of the 1 Series Hatch, that could directley rival the RS3, Golf R, Scirocco R and maybe the coming Porsche "Hatchback", based on VW Golf.

PS: I would like the BMW supercar to be called so:

BMW ///M Carbon
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 07:26 AM   #4
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Are you referring to this story, dating back to 2008? http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...ARs-new-issue/

If anything, the VED would be built (which wouldn't be called M1, either). Regarding the E82 M, it won't be called M1.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 11:10 AM   #5
Jake C
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i 2010 335d

I just read the same article the OP posted. It leads me to think this M1 Hommage could be the Supercar that Scott alluded to here. I find it very interesting that it may be offered in a choice of 6,8,10 cylinders. Regarding the M1/1M (E82) name now I am leaning towards guessing it may be M Coupe or something. Because naming this E82 a 1M and calling the Hommage car an M1 would be very confusing I think.

- J
      05-09-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
NoMetalAlchemist
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Are you referring to this story, dating back to 2008? http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...ARs-new-issue/

If anything, the VED would be built (which wouldn't be called M1, either). Regarding the E82 M, it won't be called M1.

Best regards,
south
no, but I am referring to that car. The article from above is in the new may 2010 Roundel. IDK if you a BMW CCA member, but all members get this magazine in the mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake C View Post
I just read the same article the OP posted. It leads me to think this M1 Hommage could be the Supercar that Scott alluded to here. I find it very interesting that it may be offered in a choice of 6,8,10 cylinders. Regarding the M1/1M (E82) name now I am leaning towards guessing it may be M Coupe or something. Because naming this E82 a 1M and calling the Hommage car an M1 would be very confusing I think.

- J
The M1 hommage and 1M 1er would be very confusing. I think BMW may reuse the 8-series name again, for the hommage, much like they did with the 6-series.

As for the ///M 1-series, I personally want it to be ///M1. But if its not, 1///M Would be fine.
BMW S1000RR

Last edited by NoMetalAlchemist; 05-09-2010 at 12:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 04:42 PM   #7
southlight
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMetalAlchemist View Post
no, but I am referring to that car. The article from above is in the new may 2010 Roundel. IDK if you a BMW CCA member, but all members get this magazine in the mail.
I believe that this is in the new Roundel. The problem however is that the interview they're citing is exactly two years old. The following post dates 05/27/2008:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Runner View Post
The July issue of CAR magazine features an exclusive interview with BMW board member Herbert Diess in which the exec reveals that the M1 Hommage concept is destined for production. Diess says, "We have the know-how, we have the right engine, we even have the infrastructure to build such a car," but CAR doesn't divulge too many secrets online (they are, after all, in the business of selling dead trees). The Brit pub gives up a few teasers about the mid-engine supercar, namely that it won't be called the M1, BMW's plan to fit "heron-wing" doors and a powertrain line-up that will include three engine choices. On that last bit, we'd suspect that the twin-turbo'd 3.0-liter engine would be a suitable entry-level mill, followed by the M3's V8 and the M5/M6's V10, with the latter benefiting from a duo of turbochargers. It's all speculation at this point, so we'll have to wait for the July issue to hit UK newsstands tomorrow, with sales in the U.S. beginning later this week.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/27/i...or-production/

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 05:45 PM   #8
brizzom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

its definitely not gonna be an M1 according to all the reliable sources.

Most likely gonna be 135M or 1M
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 06:41 PM   #9
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
If BMW builds a supercar I think it will neither be M1, because it makes no sense the fastest M would have the smallest number. If the M1 Original was called so, it is because it was the first ///M car, not a BMW car but a BMW Motorsport car, and how would they call it? M for motorsport and 1 because the first. Nor would it be M8, because M8 is an M version of the BMW 8 Series, which in fact is a BMW 7 Series Coupé, just like the BMW 6 Series is a BMW 5 Series Coupé, and so should there be a BMW 4 Series, a Coupé version af the BMW 3 Series and a BMW 2 Series, a Coupé version of the BMW 1 Series. I think if ther will reall be a BMW supercar, it would be called Z9, Z10, M9 or M10. IMO M10 sounds the best, just like the first M1 but with a Zero. Ten times better?

If the BMW 1 Series Coupé by M will be called M1, it is very good, because in case the next BMW 1 Series Coupé will be called BMW 2 Series, and so M2 for the M version, there is anyway hope for an M version of the 1 Series Hatch, that could directley rival the RS3, Golf R, Scirocco R and maybe the coming Porsche "Hatchback", based on VW Golf.

PS: I would like the BMW supercar to be called so:

BMW ///M Carbon
The Z8, the 850 etc were never based on the 7 series.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 06:48 PM   #10
NoMetalAlchemist
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
I believe that this is in the new Roundel. The problem however is that the interview they're citing is exactly two years old. The following post dates 05/27/2008:

Best regards,
south
Ahh, gotcha. I hadn't realized that. With that being the case, what about 1M\\\
BMW S1000RR
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 07:07 PM   #11
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

If I am putting a bet on, I would say it would be 1///M. Actually, I think I already have a bet on with someone here. I'll leave all comments to the other tread.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 12:26 AM   #12
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
If I am putting a bet on, I would say it would be 1///M. Actually, I think I already have a bet on with someone here. I'll leave all comments to the other tread.
You can be sure you lost your bet.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 12:33 AM   #13
Spartikus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Twin-Turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
+1.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 08:01 AM   #14
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Can't even remember who I had a bet with - someone in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 12:24 PM   #15
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

This is an old interview dated before the economy collapsed.
Which saw the passing of such projects as the M1 Homage which would have been a ltd production run not full production.
One thing that should be covered is that when our Sustainable Sports Car project - The production car of the Vision Efficient Dynamics it will not be badged as "BMW M" it will be a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 12:36 PM   #16
Jake C
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i 2010 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Which saw the passing of such projects as the M1 Homage which would have been a ltd production run not full production.
One thing that should be covered is that when our Sustainable Sports Car project - The production car of the Vision Efficient Dynamics it will not be badged as "BMW M" it will be a BMW.
Thank you for the insight.

- J
      05-10-2010, 01:36 PM   #17
southlight
Rep

Quote:
My words exactly. I read reports that the production version of the VED would be called Z10. Any comment on this?

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 03:01 PM   #18
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

No M Supercar (I would not be able to buy one at the moment, but at least to dream of BMW)
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 03:10 PM   #19
NoMetalAlchemist
Rep

Quote:
So, does this mean that BMW will not be building a supercar that is not a hybrid/super-efficient?

So all this does is prove that the supercar won't be built. Just throwing more wood on the naming debate fire
BMW S1000RR
Appreciate 0