E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help with option 761 (Individual sun protection glazing)

04-29-2005, 06:32 PM   #1
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
Help with option 761 (Individual sun protection glazing)

I'm still new in this forum, and would like to ask for advice and opinions on tinting.

I'm considering adding option 761("Individual sun protection glazing") on my coming E90, but I have no idea how it will make the car look like.

The description that I got from the BMW pricelist document describing E90 options in detail adds more confusion in my mind. Below is how BMW describes this option:

Individual sun protection glazing
"Extra dark green glass for rear window and rear door/side windows"

My questions:
1. Does this mean that the windows in the front doors are left clear and untouched since the description only mentions the rear doors?

2. Does this option make the windows too dark or does it add a nice touch in your opinion?

Any pictures would be appreciated.
E90 330i 6MT|Space Grey|Red Brown|Alumin|Sunroof|Voice Control|Logic 7|Xenon|Prof-Navigation|Storage Pack|Luggage Pack|Extended Lights|Anti-dazzle Folding Mirrors|Climate Comf. w/screen|M-Sport Pack|Exclusive Pack|Innovations Pack|Alumin Pedals|CF Splitters|Delivered:19 March 2010
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2005, 03:24 PM   #2
JBOO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 535d

I'm not positive, but I think I've seen the E60 with this option.

It is only on the rear windows and looked nice, although I wouldn't say better than having the front side windows tinted as well.

Like I said, I'm not for sure though.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2005, 07:38 PM   #3
HumblePie
Rep
Drives: TBD

To answer your question, according to my local dealer the rear windows are the only ones tinted. The reason I was told was that different states have various tinting laws. Some forbid the driver\passenger windows to be tinted. The dealer said that I could simply take the tint code information to a number of local shops that can match the rear tint on the front windows if I desired to. I didn't see any onthe lot today but am heading back tomorrow for another test drive and possibly a deposit check. I'll bring my camera and see if I can hunt one down.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2005, 08:48 PM   #4
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBOO
I'm not positive, but I think I've seen the E60 with this option.

It is only on the rear windows and looked nice, although I wouldn't say better than having the front side windows tinted as well.

Like I said, I'm not for sure though.

JBOO,

I have a feeling that you are right. I've seen some pictures of tinted Individual 3 series cars on the net, and they looked like the front windows were not tinted....but I was hoping to hear differently.

I would prefer having the front windows tinted as well.

Thanks so much for sharing your views.
E90 330i 6MT|Space Grey|Red Brown|Alumin|Sunroof|Voice Control|Logic 7|Xenon|Prof-Navigation|Storage Pack|Luggage Pack|Extended Lights|Anti-dazzle Folding Mirrors|Climate Comf. w/screen|M-Sport Pack|Exclusive Pack|Innovations Pack|Alumin Pedals|CF Splitters|Delivered:19 March 2010
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2005, 09:15 PM   #5
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumblePie
To answer your question, according to my local dealer the rear windows are the only ones tinted. The reason I was told was that different states have various tinting laws. Some forbid the driver\passenger windows to be tinted. The dealer said that I could simply take the tint code information to a number of local shops that can match the rear tint on the front windows if I desired to. I didn't see any onthe lot today but am heading back tomorrow for another test drive and possibly a deposit check. I'll bring my camera and see if I can hunt one down.
HumblePie,

thanks for finding out the info about this. I guess the same law applies here in South Africa then, regarding the front windows not tinted. Maybe I will just have to do the whole thing from a local shop at once. My dealer has been so clueless in the past, such that I don't trust what they tell me.

I'm looking forward to some pictures, if you can find any tinted ones at your dealer.

Don't forget to share your views regarding your test-drive, and your overall opinion regarding the interior and exterior of the E90.

Congratulations on your decision to order the E90.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2005, 09:43 PM   #6
HumblePie
Rep
Drives: TBD

Not a problem. I responded to a couple other threads earlier today concerning the test drive but the main one that I found odd was the informaiton in this thread.

Since I am going back tomorrow for another round of driving and an E46 ZHP drive, I'll try some different things and respond here once I am done. Hopefully, I'll have some pics to show as well...
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2005, 03:35 AM   #7
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

thrill30 BMW only does the rear windows, it no different here in SA

Take the car to a SOLACE tint shop, they are approved by BMW and do all dealerships work, but dont let the dealer send it,as they charge you almost double then

If you are in JHB SOLACE is in Roodepoort, bt they have brances around the country

They are around R2,100 for smash and grab resistant tint from 3M, and cheaper for normal tint
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2005, 08:48 AM   #8
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
thrill30 BMW only does the rear windows, it no different here in SA

Take the car to a SOLACE tint shop, they are approved by BMW and do all dealerships work, but dont let the dealer send it,as they charge you almost double then

If you are in JHB SOLACE is in Roodepoort, bt they have brances around the country

They are around R2,100 for smash and grab resistant tint from 3M, and cheaper for normal tint
E90Fleet,

thanks a million for that information, you are a STAR.

The dealership has already given me a quote for the smash and grab resistant tint from 3M, and he said R4000, which is almost double your estimate. I'm sure that even if SOLACE adjusts their price, it will not be more than R3000.

I'm in Pretoria, so I will find out if they have a branch around here, but I'm also prepared to go to Roodeport, as I frequently go to Jo'burg anyway. I'm also glad that SOLACE is approved by BMW.

With your help, I'm now going to save close to R2000. It's scarry what these dealerships do to unsuspecting buyers. Thanks a lot E90Fleet.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2005, 10:29 AM   #9
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Yup, dealer wanted R4200 for my E46, went to SOLACE myself and they charged 2,100 for the exact same thing

Nice person at dealership told me all JHB BMW dealers use SOLACE exclusively

just go to www.yellowpages.co.za and type in SOLACE
Looks like they have a branch in Woodmead aswell, which is closer to you
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2005, 10:29 AM   #10
juansego
Rep
Drives: 07 325i

Hi from Spain, I've ordered that option (you know it's pretty hot in this part of Spain), I had it in my previous cars and I like it.

Here you can see some pictures of how it looks:

http://www.e90style.com/forum/index.php/topic,166.0.html

Bye, adiós
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2005, 10:38 AM   #11
ogrady
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 09 335

Hi, can you post the photos here or in the photo gallery? The images don't appear. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2005, 11:10 AM   #12
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
Yup, dealer wanted R4200 for my E46, went to SOLACE myself and they charged 2,100 for the exact same thing

Nice person at dealership told me all JHB BMW dealers use SOLACE exclusively

just go to www.yellowpages.co.za and type in SOLACE
Looks like they have a branch in Woodmead aswell, which is closer to you
Thanks a lot E90Fleet,

I will contact the one in Woodmead. I've also used "google.com" and located what seems like their main web-site in SA: (http://www.solace-sa.net/)

Your info has helped a lot. I almost got taken for a ride.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2005, 11:31 AM   #13
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
juansego, that is a beautiful colour combination.Silver is one of the colours I might end up with...and the colour contrast created by the seats is just super. Congratulations on your sweet ride.

The tint looks very nice indeed. I like the fact that it's not too dark. It looks classy. If this BMW option included the windows in the front doors, I was definitely going to take it.

Well, I will have to go with the aftermarket option, because on my current car I sometimes get forced to drive with one hand, while the other one against the window is hiding from the sun and heat. I drive a lot in the sun. I really need the windows of the front doors tinted as well. I want to enjoy my E90 and not worry about my other arm getting skin cancer or something.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. You are also making me jealous hehe...because I still have to wait some 2 months for mine.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2005, 11:50 AM   #14
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogrady
Hi, can you post the photos here or in the photo gallery? The images don't appear. Thanks.
Jason,
thanks for your help on how to attach pictures. Here are those pictures depicting the tint in rear windows only, as requested:
Attached Images

Last edited by thrill30; 05-02-2005 at 12:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2005, 03:48 PM   #15
juansego
Rep
Drives: 07 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrill30
juansego, that is a beautiful colour combination.Silver is one of the colours I might end up with...and the colour contrast created by the seats is just super. Congratulations on your sweet ride.

The tint looks very nice indeed. I like the fact that it's not too dark. It looks classy. If this BMW option included the windows in the front doors, I was definitely going to take it.

Well, I will have to go with the aftermarket option, because on my current car I sometimes get forced to drive with one hand, while the other one against the window is hiding from the sun and heat. I drive a lot in the sun. I really need the windows of the front doors tinted as well. I want to enjoy my E90 and not worry about my other arm getting skin cancer or something.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. You are also making me jealous hehe...because I still have to wait some 2 months for mine.
I wish that car was mine but it isn't, I'm afraid I'll have to wait for a couple of months too.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2005, 04:02 PM   #16
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by juansego
I wish that car was mine but it isn't, I'm afraid I'll have to wait for a couple of months too.
My apologies juansego,
I made a wrong assumption about the car. I thought it was yours. Nevertheless it's a sweet car.

As you can see, I also took the liberty to list the car in question in this thread. Other members couln't view the pictures from the original site on the link you provided. I hope you don't mind me taking credit for it hehehe.

I wish I could take some magic sleeping medication tonight and wake up in July, just in time for my car...
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2005, 05:05 PM   #17
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrill30

I wish I could take some magic sleeping medication tonight and wake up in July, just in time for my car...

haha

and on a side note, I think my car will look exactly like that one with the color setup, that interior is my favorite, and so is that exterior (*i think*) :rocks:
      05-03-2005, 05:34 PM   #18
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE90M3
haha

and on a side note, I think my car will look exactly like that one with the color setup, that interior is my favorite, and so is that exterior (*i think*) :rocks:
MarkE90M3,

I didn't get that magic medication unfortunately, so I have to endure the painful wait.

I also like that interior. The only reason I'm not going for it is that my current interior is Beige, and this time I want something less bright (if "less bright" makes any sense at all).

Nevertheless, your colour choice is sweet.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #19
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Can these panels be purchased as parts from a canadian dealer?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #20
thetedderbear
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fiesta ST

From the sounds of it, I'd save your money and tint it when you get it. You could probably get a tint all around for the cost of just the back with this option
Appreciate 0