BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board    The Preakness Infield...Need Tips

04-19-2010, 01:33 PM   #1
DrockNJ
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

The Preakness Infield...Need Tips

i'm heading to the Preakness infield this year for the first time. i know it's set up differently now than a couple years back... this year it's $60 bucks for a mug club ticket which gets you in the infield for the two concerts (Zac Brown & O.A.R.) and a bottomless 16oz mug o beer...No outside beverages allowed but you can still bring coolers in.. Anyone have any tips / suggestions as far as when to get there, actually getting in, what you can and can't bring in...TIA..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
Zephyr15
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrockNJ View Post
i'm heading to the Preakness infield this year for the first time. i know it's set up differently now than a couple years back... this year it's $60 bucks for a mug club ticket which gets you in the infield for the two concerts (Zac Brown & O.A.R.) and a bottomless 16oz mug o beer...No outside beverages allowed but you can still bring coolers in.. Anyone have any tips / suggestions as far as when to get there, actually getting in, what you can and can't bring in...TIA..
Are you saying the kiddy pools full of beer are no more!?!?

Also, have there always been concerts in the Preakness infield? I went in 2005 and don't remember one, but there could be a reason or two for that.

Anyway, I'm probably not too good for planning suggestions since my buddies from Baltimore set it up. We rented a yellow school bus (like everyone else) and drank on the way there. We got there pretty early (before 9 anyway), but still got stuck in traffic and had to wait to get into the infield because there were horses and tractors on the track. If you're leaving from Baltimore, I'd suggest that you pick a time to leave, then leave an hour/half-hour earlier. If you're leaving from Jersey, you're probably screwed no matter what. They had food there, but if you can bring in your own I'd do that to save a couple bucks and avoid lines. You'll probably end up pissing along the chain-link fence on the perimeter of the infield because the portajohn lines get absurd. It probably wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to bring some Mardi-Gras beads.

Hopefully you get nice weather and a dry infield. Have fun and report back!
      04-20-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
Peanuto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Lemans Blue M-sport

If there is VIP with separate bathrooms this year DO IT. IT IS CRUCIAL. The bathrooms are then in air conditioned trailers and have no lines.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
xsilvor
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuto View Post
If there is VIP with separate bathrooms this year DO IT. IT IS CRUCIAL. The bathrooms are then in air conditioned trailers and have no lines.
People will still run on top of them and get plastered with full beer cans. It cant be stopped.

ahh, I miss college.
2008 E92 M3 DCT (RIP) - Jet Black.Black.Carbon
Dinan, Wheels & Accessories for Sale
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
Peanuto
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsilvor View Post
People will still run on top of them and get plastered with full beer cans. It cant be stopped.

ahh, I miss college.
Wrong. They wont. Because you need the vip wristband checked by security to get into the gated area that has them.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 05:06 PM   #6
hhkim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 335d

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
port-a-potty race. that is all.
      04-26-2010, 05:16 PM   #7
Peanuto
Private First Class
Rep

I know 90% of the people I know that usually go aren't going. They are trying to make it classier, not the shit show it used to be. My rule of thumb for if my Preakness was a success were as follows: If I don't get hit in the head by a random flying bottle, or have someone pee on me, then it was a good day and a win. Unfortunately both of those things tend to happen at preakness, moreso the being pissed on.
Appreciate 0