E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > In transit Permit...Michigan

04-11-2010, 05:03 PM   #1
tcc230
Private
Rep
Drives: 328

In transit Permit...Michigan

In transit permits for Michigan...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all, hopefully picking up my 335i next week from a BMW dealership in Michigan....

They have told me that I cannot get an in transit permit to drive the vehicle over the border. Because the car is not registered etc...when the car gets to the us customs, they will ask me to pay the state tax, even though I am importing the car to canada....essentially they are advising me to get an auto transporter to bring the car to the border which is 30 minutes away for $300-$400.

I have called the Secretary of State office in michigan they said I could get a 14 permit and will cost $10.00....I have read you could, but different states may be different...and I just want to be sure.

The dealership STRESSES that the person I talked to is wrong....

Can anyone let me know if I can get a permit or not.....I just don't want to get dinged for the state tax at the border because some person at the SOS made a mistake...

Thanks in advance...
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2010, 09:42 PM   #2
yeung330xi
Jordan aka The GOAT
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330XI

Garage List
just have the car transported on a flatbed, they will know what you need and what to do

just contact one in Windsor, they'll handle the rest
      04-11-2010, 11:19 PM   #3
jigga
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcc230 View Post
In transit permits for Michigan...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all, hopefully picking up my 335i next week from a BMW dealership in Michigan....

They have told me that I cannot get an in transit permit to drive the vehicle over the border. Because the car is not registered etc...when the car gets to the us customs, they will ask me to pay the state tax, even though I am importing the car to canada....essentially they are advising me to get an auto transporter to bring the car to the border which is 30 minutes away for $300-$400.

I have called the Secretary of State office in michigan they said I could get a 14 permit and will cost $10.00....I have read you could, but different states may be different...and I just want to be sure.

The dealership STRESSES that the person I talked to is wrong....

Can anyone let me know if I can get a permit or not.....I just don't want to get dinged for the state tax at the border because some person at the SOS made a mistake...

Thanks in advance...
is it a brand new car? if it hasn't been registered with the state dmv, then you may not be able to get a trip permit. im not sure.

i bought my used bmw in november and was able to get a trip permit. in fact, the dealership got it for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2010, 11:58 PM   #4
tcc230
Private
Rep
Drives: 328

Used 335i

No, it is a used 335i. I thought you got yours in Ohio? But I guess you need one for Michigan.

I will call SOS tomorrow and hopefully have them clarify and maybe have them fax something on paper to me....I don't know if they will though.

The dealer, like I said.....is telling me I cannot get a permit.

Thanks for your input....
Appreciate 0