E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Oil splatter on front grille area.

04-09-2010, 03:38 PM   #1
benzo23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport

Oil splatter on front grille area.

I noticed last night that there was a little bit of engine oil on the front lower section of the kidney, got home cleaned it all off...today went out there again about 15 min ago and there is oil again in the same spot, and cant seem to figure out where its coming from. any ideas? all thats on top is the intake and the raid. the oil was just changed yesterday and im driving the car for a cpl of days to see if its worth buying. im not familiar with this engine and didnt know if there was an over flow for oil, any help would be great since im suppose to pull the trigger tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 03:49 PM   #2
MOTHRA
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT SpaceGrau

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
What model is it?
      04-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #3
campbelly
AC Schnitzel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzo23 View Post
I noticed last night that there was a little bit of engine oil on the front lower section of the kidney, got home cleaned it all off...today went out there again about 15 min ago and there is oil again in the same spot, and cant seem to figure out where its coming from. any ideas? all thats on top is the intake and the raid. the oil was just changed yesterday and im driving the car for a cpl of days to see if its worth buying. im not familiar with this engine and didnt know if there was an over flow for oil, any help would be great since im suppose to pull the trigger tomorrow.
start with making sure your oil cap is fully secure..warranty still?
      04-09-2010, 04:24 PM   #4
benzo23
Colonel
Rep

its a 2006 325i, checked all the caps...top and sides of engine are oil free, i noticed there was a trail of what seemed to be an oil'ey substance starting behind the drivers xenon housing running along the top of the raidiator. and below the intake opening, then down to the grilles, there was a hex nut behind the light assembly with what seemed to be a bit of oil resedue in there...were 06 325s equiped with oil or trans coolers? im not sure what is behind that housing...and the car is a CPO till 2/2012 so im not sure if this is covered or not
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 05:08 PM   #5
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

No. Anything engine related should be covered by the CPO warranty.

Probably just spilled some oil while changing it.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 05:30 PM   #6
benzo23
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
No. Anything engine related should be covered by the CPO warranty.

Probably just spilled some oil while changing it.
i wish i thought it was something simple like that, for some reason tho there is a trail of oil residue going from the grille up towards the intake inlet, then heads towards the right to behind the drivers headlight housing, there is something there, and what appears to be some oilish build up. its inbetween the air box and the headlight assemb. and if u look at the catch pan below that certain area there is oilish residue there as well...so im stumped cause i cant find any sources to show were specific engine components are for this car
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 06:01 PM   #7
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

There have been reports of broken head bolts on the N52. That could easily cause oil leaks. Since it's CPO just take it to the dealer and have them take care of it.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 06:33 PM   #8
MOTHRA
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT SpaceGrau

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
If it is for sure oil then I have not a clue where it could be coming from. The only thing I know of that has any sort of pressure valve that will run out is on the radiator, and that should be closed unless someone fooled with it and forgot to screw in back in.
      04-09-2010, 06:44 PM   #9
benzo23
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by None=ToBMW View Post
If it is for sure oil then I have not a clue where it could be coming from. The only thing I know of that has any sort of pressure valve that will run out is on the radiator, and that should be closed unless someone fooled with it and forgot to screw in back in.
I am for sure it is oil (not sure if its engine, oil cooler, or trans cooler or something else but it is a light brown liquid with the grease feel of oil), i have been around cars my whole life and this is my first time potentially owning a bmw of my own, my dad has a fleet but id like one in my name for once, but this issue really has me stumped esp coming into a car that i am not familiar with. im just worried that if i buy it then take it to the dealer and tell me say its a trans cooler and its not covered under CPO then im F*ked. Its just alot of cash im spending tomorrow to buy a car that has oil coming from the front of the grille...lol, which in my few yrs ive never seen before.

Last edited by benzo23; 04-09-2010 at 06:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2010, 10:09 PM   #10
Barbera335
Captain
Rep
Drives: F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzo23 View Post
I am for sure it is oil (not sure if its engine, oil cooler, or trans cooler or something else but it is a light brown liquid with the grease feel of oil), i have been around cars my whole life and this is my first time potentially owning a bmw of my own, my dad has a fleet but id like one in my name for once, but this issue really has me stumped esp coming into a car that i am not familiar with. im just worried that if i buy it then take it to the dealer and tell me say its a trans cooler and its not covered under CPO then im F*ked. Its just alot of cash im spending tomorrow to buy a car that has oil coming from the front of the grille...lol, which in my few yrs ive never seen before.
I would walk away and find another BMW, there are plenty for sale. Or make the seller garauntee in writing that the oil leak will be fixed at his expense. It has been my experience that if a used car does'nt feel right for wahtever reason your better off not buying it.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 02:37 PM   #11
benzo23
Colonel
Rep

long story short i took it in to bmw to have a PPI inspection done and said to the SA "hey btw there is this issue", they had it for 2 hrs, came back and said that someone had just spilled oil during the oil service 3 days prior and that some had collected under the intake housing above the grilles, hints why it was dripping down...they took the intake apart, and the catch pan, ran the car to make sure there were no leaks, pressure cleaned everything to new, and put it all back together...problem hasnt been back sense. now all i have to address are new tires and replace the dry rotted weather stripping.
Appreciate 0