E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > 2011 335i stereo options?

04-03-2010, 10:19 PM   #1
bigjilm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 335i Sedan

2011 335i stereo options?

I ordered a 2010 335i with the M sport and audiophile package. The dealer says that the factory decided to retool early, and they delayed the build of my car until the 2011 production started. Here in Canada, there's no audiophile package anymore, so they deleted that option from the order automagically.

I wasn't too happy about not getting the hotted up stereo, and I probably would've considered the exec package if I had been given the chance (as the top stereo is now bundled in the exec pkg). I told my salesguy that I wasn't happy, expecting that he would figure out how to drop the price or something. The car was already in build, so I couldn't change the options at that point.

10 minutes later, he calls back telling me that the factory has included the audiophile stereo in the build of my car, even though it's not officially available anymore. It sounds a little fishy to me, but I have to take his word for it until I see the car. BMW CA has no way of verifying his info, or doing much of anything as far as I can tell.

So, here's the challenge. I'm picking up the car in a little over a week, and I'm wondering how I can tell the difference between the 335i 2011 base stereo and the upgrade? Is there something visually obvious either on the head unit or the speaker grills? Is there something on the paperwork that comes with the car?

If it turns out to be the base stereo, I'll have to deal with that issue at that point - either walk away or negotiate a lower price.

-bigjilm
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
bigjilm
Private First Class
Rep

Lots of views, but no replies yet. I guess no one has seen the base 335i stereo yet?

Could someone with a 2010 audiophile pkg post a pic of their dashboard/head unit?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 12:02 PM   #3
AKbmw
Brigadier General
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M-Sport LCI

i have a base stereo in my 328 and it SUCKS... just put the bass set to around 5 - 6 and crank the volume, you will know weather you have the base system or now right away... im not sure if the base is any different with the 328 or the 335 but just trying to help out.

and im pretty sure the head unit will look exactly the same, however when your in the menu adjusting the bass trebel and what not, you will have alot more options with the upgraded system versus the base only will have a BASS, TREBLE, BAL, setting.
      04-05-2010, 01:24 PM   #4
Weaselboy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i

You should be able to see on the window sticker if the car has the stereo upgrade option? Also, I have read on the forums the new "base" stereo does not have the tweeters on the front edge of the door pillar.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 01:31 PM   #5
AKbmw
Brigadier General
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M-Sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
You should be able to see on the window sticker if the car has the stereo upgrade option? Also, I have read on the forums the new "base" stereo does not have the tweeters on the front edge of the door pillar.
Correct , and it sickens me every time I look at those empty spots where the tweeters used to be
      04-05-2010, 02:20 PM   #6
tirana
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 6MT + F25 35i AT

The base 2011 335i HiFi entertainment system comes with only 8 speakers (including two subwoofers under the front seats). The Audiophile/Premium system comes with 16 speakers. These aren't so easy to locate but the premium system should have distinctive grills (although my 2010 MSport sedan has different front door speaker grills than my wife's 2009 LCI sedan and also has the front door pillar teeters so there are cosmetic changes which complicate things). Do you have the nav package - if so, the top range system has greater precision in the controls - as commented above? There may also be some lettering by the CD slot.

I'd be more concerned about having the N55 engine instead of the N54
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 08:07 PM   #7
bigjilm
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

>The Audiophile/Premium system comes with 16 speakers

That's the 2010 version, right? Unfortunately, BMW.ca just updated their configurator, so I can't refer back to the 2010 specs.

>Do you have the nav package

No nav - just the stereo and M sport.

>I'd be more concerned about having the N55 engine instead of the N54

Yay - better mileage. Boo - longer wait for a juicebox.

>You should be able to see on the window sticker if the car has the stereo upgrade option

That's a good idea. I assume that there must be some documentation delivered with the car that would show exactly what's in it. I don't entirely trust the dealer's system, but something official must be available to prove one way or the other.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 11:07 PM   #8
bigjilm
Private First Class
Rep

Just to close off the topic, the stereo was indeed as promised.

The head unit has Logic 7 settings, and the speaker grills all say Harmon Kardon. The tweeters are in the right spots, too.

Sounds damn good, too. Far better than the HK upgrade in my 2000 323CI, which sounded bad from Day 1, and got worse.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 11:44 PM   #9
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjilm View Post
Just to close off the topic, the stereo was indeed as promised.

The head unit has Logic 7 settings, and the speaker grills all say Harmon Kardon. The tweeters are in the right spots, too.

Sounds damn good, too. Far better than the HK upgrade in my 2000 323CI, which sounded bad from Day 1, and got worse.
Glad to hear Jim, since I ordered the HK audio package with my 2011.

if you like listening to music get audio upgrade, mistake I'll never repeat when buying BMW. Audi is different story the stock audio is very decent already.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 11:11 AM   #10
2010BXMXW
justmakingit
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i sadan M package

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjilm View Post
I ordered a 2010 335i with the M sport and audiophile package. The dealer says that the factory decided to retool early, and they delayed the build of my car until the 2011 production started. Here in Canada, there's no audiophile package anymore, so they deleted that option from the order automagically.

I wasn't too happy about not getting the hotted up stereo, and I probably would've considered the exec package if I had been given the chance (as the top stereo is now bundled in the exec pkg). I told my salesguy that I wasn't happy, expecting that he would figure out how to drop the price or something. The car was already in build, so I couldn't change the options at that point.

10 minutes later, he calls back telling me that the factory has included the audiophile stereo in the build of my car, even though it's not officially available anymore. It sounds a little fishy to me, but I have to take his word for it until I see the car. BMW CA has no way of verifying his info, or doing much of anything as far as I can tell.

So, here's the challenge. I'm picking up the car in a little over a week, and I'm wondering how I can tell the difference between the 335i 2011 base stereo and the upgrade? Is there something visually obvious either on the head unit or the speaker grills? Is there something on the paperwork that comes with the car?

If it turns out to be the base stereo, I'll have to deal with that issue at that point - either walk away or negotiate a lower price.

-bigjilm
hello
i have found that bmw has an upgrade plug and play package
it comes with an hifi amp and 4 speakers and wires
the unit must be ordered through bmw and it only cost me $560.00

it is made by alpine
i'm new here and not to sure if i'm doing this right
if you or anyone ealse need any more info please let me know
Appreciate 0