E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Bootlid lights section malfunction

04-03-2010, 06:43 AM   #1
TomF32
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW/640d/M-Sport

Garage List
2005 e90  [0.00]
Bootlid lights section malfunction

Just a problem + solution I thought i'd share with ye all..

In the past week, my driver's side lights on the boot (i.e. reverse light, inner tail light and fog light) stopped working for no apparent reason! I recently put blacklines on the car and thought I'd messed up somewhere there, but all connections/bulbs were fine?!

Then got talking to a friend who works with auto electrics and said to try the cables going from the main car into the bootlid section. Due to the hinged boot and repeated opening and closing, all cars with lights in the boot of the car are prone to the wiring becoming frayed and splitting/breaking?

Sure enough, the two earth wires had split and once repaired and taped soon fixed the problem!

Found it interesting so just thought i'd share incase it happens anyone here...
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2010, 07:17 AM   #2
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetone View Post
Just a problem + solution I thought i'd share with ye all..

In the past week, my driver's side lights on the boot (i.e. reverse light, inner tail light and fog light) stopped working for no apparent reason! I recently put blacklines on the car and thought I'd messed up somewhere there, but all connections/bulbs were fine?!

Then got talking to a friend who works with auto electrics and said to try the cables going from the main car into the bootlid section. Due to the hinged boot and repeated opening and closing, all cars with lights in the boot of the car are prone to the wiring becoming frayed and splitting/breaking?

Sure enough, the two earth wires had split and once repaired and taped soon fixed the problem!

Found it interesting so just thought i'd share incase it happens anyone here...
nice one, i'll file that one away in the ol' brain :P
Appreciate 0