New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

04-01-2010, 05:36 AM   #1
Rubber Ducky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Dinan Stage II - initial report

Had installation done at C2Designs in Tampa (this continues to be a great shop to do business with - owner drives a modded E92 M3). Took about 2 hours due to having to download new code from Dinan (normally about an hour, but if yours is the first in the shop to get this mod, count on two). $1989 OTD including $100 labor and 6% sales tax - Dinan 20% off through 30 Apr. Installation: hook up a laptop to ECU and let the two 'puters commingle their bodily fluids.

Whatta bomb! Impressions so far only from 140 miles interstate, but 7th gear (DCT) at 80 pulls like a mule and shots away from toll plazas etc. are really fast. Whole new car. Zero codes, problems, downside of any sort. Chirped the DSC a couple times pulling from toll plaza drive-thru lanes (3rd gear, 35 mph).

I kept checking instant mileage driving to Tampa from Florida east coast and back. Looks like the mod improves steady highway mileage about 2 mph, but sucks a lot of fuel accelerating. Will take a bit of time to see if it has overall effect on mileage.

Will report more when I have more time with the mod, but initial impression is money very well spent and screw the s35is. Feels just like the Dinan tune I had in my E93, but Z4 handles distinctly better because of weight differential.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 06:15 AM   #2
mrboon
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Speeeed

Sounds good Congrats.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 07:04 AM   #3
s2000jan
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E89 - sDrive 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Ducky View Post
Will report more when I have more time with the mod, but initial impression is money very well spent and screw the s35is. Feels just like the Dinan tune I had in my E93, but Z4 handles distinctly better because of weight differential.

Sounds great this mod, but remember that the same can be done on an s35is
      04-01-2010, 08:45 AM   #4
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

great news Rubber Ducky - enjoy
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 09:34 PM   #5
rmorin49
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 335d/10 Z4 s30i

Quote:
Had installation done at C2Designs in Tampa (this continues to be a great shop to do business with - owner drives a modded E92 M3). Took about 2 hours due to having to download new code from Dinan (normally about an hour, but if yours is the first in the shop to get this mod, count on two). $1989 OTD including $100 labor and 6% sales tax - Dinan 20% off through 30 Apr. Installation: hook up a laptop to ECU and let the two 'puters commingle their bodily fluids.

Whatta bomb! Impressions so far only from 140 miles interstate, but 7th gear (DCT) at 80 pulls like a mule and shots away from toll plazas etc. are really fast. Whole new car. Zero codes, problems, downside of any sort. Chirped the DSC a couple times pulling from toll plaza drive-thru lanes (3rd gear, 35 mph).

I kept checking instant mileage driving to Tampa from Florida east coast and back. Looks like the mod improves steady highway mileage about 2 mph, but sucks a lot of fuel accelerating. Will take a bit of time to see if it has overall effect on mileage.

You may need to make some friends in the Florida Highway Patrol!
2011 335d BS/Oyster/PP/CWP/NAV/ipod/USB(Daily Driver) 30+ mpg(retired)
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2010, 05:24 AM   #6
Rubber Ducky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorin49 View Post
You may need to make some friends in the Florida Highway Patrol!
I am a safe and sensible driver (and the three-year expiration is starting to kick on some of the points on my driving record - and I can still take the Safe Driving Course in lieu of points twice more in my lifetime - and it's been more than the required one-year wait time for again taking the course).
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2010, 07:04 AM   #7
rmorin49
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 335d/10 Z4 s30i

Quote:
I am a safe and sensible driver (and the three-year expiration is starting to kick on some of the points on my driving record - and I can still take the Safe Driving Course in lieu of points twice more in my lifetime - and it's been more than the required one-year wait time for again taking the course).
It's too bad the US doesn't allow the freedom to drive sensibly at high speeds on proper highways. That said, it is always a shock returning from Europe where high speeds combined with proper driving etiquette seems to be work well. The single biggest aggravation and flaw in the US is the failure to move right after passing. In Germany, as you probably know, driving in the far left lane on the autobahn is only done if you are overtaking. Remaining in this lane for long usually requires speeds in excess of 125 mph, sometimes approaching 150 mph.

Sorry, now back on topic.
2011 335d BS/Oyster/PP/CWP/NAV/ipod/USB(Daily Driver) 30+ mpg(retired)
Appreciate 0