BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-31-2010, 05:23 PM   #1
floralscent
Rep
Drives: silver x3

Now my X3 leaks

I have only had my 2007 X3 CPO for 5 weeks and today I noticed a large amount of an oily substance on my garage floor! I called the dealership and am taking it in on Monday to be looked at...so I guess I'll be stewing about it until then.

Does anyone know what this may be? Since this is my 1st time for any repair work (my 1st BMW) I asked the dealer if this repair was covered under the CPO or 0 maintenance warranty. He said he'd have to let me know depending on the problem. If what I've read is correct, shouldn't this be covered under the CPO warranty? It's not tires or a battery and from what I've read everything else seems to be covered. Any information/past experiences would be appreciated. I don't want to be taken advantage of from the dealer.

Thanks-
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #2
**Matt**
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...13#post6869913

My experience not too long ago. All covered by CPO. Good luck and let us know the outcome.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 04:05 PM   #3
floralscent
Rep

Thanks for your reply Matt. I hope your vehicle it still leak free.

Here's the update on my situation-My service advisor said the leak was a transmission pan gasket leak and that it is a very rare occurrence. He said they replaced the gasket, drove the car and then kept an eye on the garage floor to see if the leak was repaired. He said it didn't leak. So today I drive 2 hours round trip to pick up the X3, the car has been in my the garage for a few hours now. I just went to check under the car and guess what...it's STILL leaking!!

When I picked up the car I talked to the service advisor about a repair bulletin I found for the '07 X3 which states "Transmission fluid may leak from the selector shaft seal and often appears to be coming from the pan gasket". He assured me that the leak was fixed.

I just called the service advisor back and told him the leak was still there. He is apologizing up and down but I am fuming mad at this point. They are picking up the car tomorrow and are going to "fix" the issue. Any advice or experience anyone has would be appreciated.

This is my 1st BMW and I have to tell you I have a very bad taste in my mouth at this point about BMW and this car. I'm sorry I even bought it 7 weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 06:04 AM   #4
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by floralscent View Post
Thanks for your reply Matt. I hope your vehicle it still leak free.

Here's the update on my situation-My service advisor said the leak was a transmission pan gasket leak and that it is a very rare occurrence. He said they replaced the gasket, drove the car and then kept an eye on the garage floor to see if the leak was repaired. He said it didn't leak. So today I drive 2 hours round trip to pick up the X3, the car has been in my the garage for a few hours now. I just went to check under the car and guess what...it's STILL leaking!!
Sounds to me like the dealer drove it around the block and never got the transmission up to temp. Some of GM sourced 6 speed transmissions have leaked at the selector lever. It has a fancy name (the part that leaks) that I cant remember.
      05-05-2010, 02:31 PM   #5
**Matt**
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330

How did it go? As you haven't posted, I assume it was fixed? Hope it went well for you and the X is leak free!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 10:18 PM   #6
floralscent
Rep

The dealer did drive a 2 hour round trip to pick up my X3 and left me a beautiful black '09 5 series (be still my heart) to drive for a few days while my X3 was once again repaired. I absolutely love my X3 but that 5 series was a fine piece of machinery. Talk about the ultimate driving machine!

As it turns out the issue was a Selector Shaft seal leak and not the transmission pan gasket leak as they had 1st thought. The car is now fixed, was driven back to my home by the dealer and no leaks. I love my X3!

What bothers me though is that I had looked online for the service bulletins on an '07 X3 before the 1st attempt to repair. I found a bulletin that stated a Selector shaft seal leak is often mistaken for a transmission pan gasket leak. I told the service advisor what I found and he sort of blew me off said not to worry that they'd find the problem. When I called the advisor back and told him the X3 was still leaking he still didn't want to chat about the bulletin I found. When he called to tell me the car was ready he did tell me it was the selector shaft seal and never acknowledged that it was the service bulletin I found. I am a bit bothered that they don't listen to the customer and wonder if they even read those bulletins.

I also found a bulletin about available transmission updates and asked if they would update the transmission software too. They did and the transmission is much smoother. Why doesn't the dealer just automatically check for updates and do them? We also own a VW Toureg and the dealer automatically checks for updates and performs them.

I appreciate the dealer picking up and returning my car to me but wonder why the actual BMW repair service is in my opinion bad. Never once had to return my Nissan for additional repairs after the dealer fixed it. Is it just my dealer?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 03:05 PM   #7
Zedfor
Meinkugelschmerzen
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i, B757-200

The problem with dealership service departments these days is that there are no real mechanics working there anymore. They are “service technicians” and they have been taught to look up the problem on the computer and then do what the computer tells them to do. The work order they receive comes from a “service advisor” who in all likelihood is not, nor ever has been either a “service technician” or a mechanic. He/she is simply taught how to fill out a work order. So in your case you came in and told them you had a leak. It was written up as a transmission leak and the tech then followed the instructions for that problem. He/she isn’t taught to look any deeper unless the problem is not resolved by the first fix. Unfortunately, the owner (you in this case) is stuck with multiple visits to the dealership until it is done right.

That said, there are not too many Chevy, Buick, Honda or Ford dealers that would drive you home and leave you a very nice car to drive, pick up yours and deliver it back to your home when ready. You may have a bad taste for BMW right now, but I have never owned a car, Hondas included, that have not had some problem or another when new that needed to be addressed.

ZSCCA
ZSCCA on Facebook

Last edited by Zedfor; 05-18-2010 at 03:14 PM..
Appreciate 0