E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Changing brake pads made the grinding noise worse?

03-29-2010, 11:43 PM   #1
DarkRider23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 201 335i xDrive

Changing brake pads made the grinding noise worse?

A while back my car's brakes started making a loud grinding noise. I brought it to the dealership and they said nothing was wrong. 2 weeks later, I got fed up with the noise, brought it back to the dealer and they said that my rear brake pads were still above specs and shouldn't have been changed, but they did it anyway.

I drive my car home and the grinding noise doesn't happen at all during the drive. I drive my car to and from school for the next 4 days without any noise coming from my brakes. I'm happy as hell that this annoying noise is finally gone.

Then, on the 5th day, the noise starts back up again. This time it's even worse. It's louder and even more high pitched this time around. Could it be the front brake pads? Any ideas here? I'll be bringing the car back to the dealer on Thursday or Friday to see what they have to say about it, but I'm really at a loss. I asked them about my front brake pads and they said that they were fine and didn't see the need to change them yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 12:22 AM   #2
Bimmer This
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Most of your braking is done from the front brakes. Most likely, you have brake dust buildup in your front brake pad causing the noise. Next time you are at the car wash, just pressure wash your calipers/rotors and it should go away.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 12:25 AM   #3
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

You can also have someone stand outside and brake by them and have them listen to what wheel(s) is making noise.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 12:55 AM   #4
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Use break cleaner. Although I'm not sure whether or not it would destroy the sensors. I'd ask the dealer, or see if anybody on the forum has tried.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 07:03 AM   #5
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
Use break cleaner. Although I'm not sure whether or not it would destroy the sensors. I'd ask the dealer, or see if anybody on the forum has tried.
careful with the brake cleaner... it will eat the paint off the rims.

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX

Last edited by Potty_Pants; 03-30-2010 at 08:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 02:48 PM   #6
DarkRider23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 201 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer This View Post
Most of your braking is done from the front brakes. Most likely, you have brake dust buildup in your front brake pad causing the noise. Next time you are at the car wash, just pressure wash your calipers/rotors and it should go away.
That seems to have been the problem all along. Drove through the rain yesterday (pretty heavy rain at that) and the noise has been gone all day today. I'll be more mindful and actually pressure wash the calipers and rotors more often. Thanks .
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 04:47 AM   #7
AngelFarelli
Second Lieutenant
Abu Dhabi
Rep
Drives: BMW n52 e90

The f30 has a thin round layer of metal that protects the inside of the rotor however when bent out of place will rub agains the rotor or wheel and produce various sounds. My front brakes had a low vibration hum sound like a big ship horn and the back used to make a scrapping sound every second for a few seconds at moderate to slow speeds.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 08:48 AM   #8
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelFarelli View Post
The f30 has a thin round layer of metal that protects the inside of the rotor however when bent out of place will rub agains the rotor or wheel and produce various sounds. My front brakes had a low vibration hum sound like a big ship horn and the back used to make a scrapping sound every second for a few seconds at moderate to slow speeds.
What?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 10:40 AM   #9
AngelFarelli
Second Lieutenant
Abu Dhabi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Quote:
What?
That is the metal layer behind the rotor that will bend and scrape the rotor.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 01:27 PM   #10
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Oh you are talking about the metal plate called dust shield. Got it. Thank you for the clarification.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 12:00 AM   #11
AngelFarelli
Second Lieutenant
Abu Dhabi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Quote:
Oh you are talking about the metal plate called dust shield. Got it. Thank you for the clarification.
Actually I believe it to be apart of the parking break system still doing more research.
Appreciate 0