BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-28-2010, 04:41 PM   #1
goffsroad
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: The non-enthusiasts 128i

Oil change and ticking questions.

I purchased my 128 in August '09 and I have just over 2800 miles on it. The warranty book says the oil should be changed once a year, but when I check the service computer it says 7/2011 11000 miles. Will BMW give me my oil change by August, or am I on my own to get it changed? I should only have about 4800 miles by August. (FYI I have a company car that I drive 5 days a week)

Ticking question. I found this youtube video which sounds like the ticking on my car, it is for sure on the left side. It does not get faster when I step on the accelerator, and I can not here it when I drive. Is this normal?

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 05:02 PM   #2
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

There is a known issue with the N52 regarding the ticking noise. The way to fix it is to take it for a nice long drive on the freeway. There was a post on this last year, do a search on N52 engine ticking.

Its actually an air pocket in the lifters, its very common in the 1, and 3 series. Its mainly caused by low rpm driving( city). If you take it for a rip on the highway it should clear up...It will come back, but just go for another rip. Also your dealer will do a bleed on the system, but for many the noise comes back. Mine does this with frequency, and a decent run always fixes it...I took it to the dealer once and they bled the engine, and my SA told me that it was common, and not harmful at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 05:11 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

People have said that BMW will pay for one oil change every year. Regardless of what the OBC says. Go ask your local dealer though.

The ticking noise is not normal. But probably common N52, though. I would change the oil and see IF that helps. I would also drive the car hard (ie high rpms for sustained time, highway in low gear). See if that helps.

The ticking noise is just one reason why I change my oil atleast twice a year. I feel you can't change the oil too often. I am doing 7.5K mile changes interval.

Good Luck,
David
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 10:17 PM   #4
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
There is a known issue with the N52 regarding the ticking noise. The way to fix it is to take it for a nice long drive on the freeway. There was a post on this last year, do a search on N52 engine ticking.

Its actually an air pocket in the lifters, its very common in the 1, and 3 series. Its mainly caused by low rpm driving( city). If you take it for a rip on the highway it should clear up...It will come back, but just go for another rip. Also your dealer will do a bleed on the system, but for many the noise comes back. Mine does this with frequency, and a decent run always fixes it...I took it to the dealer once and they bled the engine, and my SA told me that it was common, and not harmful at all.

Ermm, according to the service bulletin in this post (http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320299) the bleeding procedure isn't done anymore and they are actually replacing engine components?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 01:44 AM   #5
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
OP, do you know your car's production month? Because according to that service bulletin, examples built after November 31st, 2008 should already have the new parts. Just curious if they actually fixed the problem on the line or not.
      03-29-2010, 07:10 AM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

In the latest Bimmer Mag (May issue, with the red 335is on the cover) they talk about this in the letters section. Interesting enough the guy who has this ticking issue is a 335ix owner.

Basically they say BMW first did lifters, then replaced comeplete cylinder heads(with a check valve for oil pressure), and now are only replacing exhaust side lifters.

It sounds to me this is all a by product of not changing ones oil frequently enought. Maybe thats just me reading between the lines so to speak.

Anyway... there really is no real fix. It says the exhaust side lifters have seemed to fix the problem for now. Only time will tell. Don't understand whats different now from the past repair "fixes". Seems like in all three "fixes" the lifters got replaced.

I think IF my car had this problem I might change the oil and replace two liters of oil with ATF. Run that at low engine loads for a few miles. Then change the oil again - with all synthetic oil.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 09:44 AM   #7
goffsroad
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: The non-enthusiasts 128i

My car was built in July of 09. As far as changing the oil, since I have only 2800 miles, I think I should be okay, it is not like I have 15000 miles without a change.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 10:56 AM   #8
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

While you should double check with your dealer to confirm, the time interval for oil changes is 1 year. BMW has programmed the BC incorrectly so your first oil service should come this August. And since you will only have about 5~6k miles by then, I'd wait for the freebie.

Tom
Appreciate 0