BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition    Creatine - Thoughts?

03-26-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Creatine - Thoughts?

I am what you would call a hardgainer. At the moment, I am sitting at ~143 lbs, 5'9.

My physique is pretty good for my size. But I want more.

When I started working out I was taking True Mass for about two months or so. I wasn't crazy about all the junk they put in it so I switched to just pure Optimum Whey.

The problem is while I HAVE gained mass (I used to weigh ~128lbs just a year ago), I am not seeing the gains I truly want, like big arms, for example.

I was thinking about Creatine but was worried about the health risks. I believe my brother took it in high school and had problems with his kidney.

What do you guys think? I would be taking it after every work out, every other day.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
BoostedCosta
SUPERMAN
Rep
Drives: AW e90 335i M-Sport

i dont know if im right but when i always heard about creatine i didnt always hear good things. it just puts water in your body and most of the creatine your drink you piss out anyway
      03-26-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
shuarma
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e92

i'm also a hardgainer due to my endo/ectomorphic body type. this just means that you need to train twice as hard and eat more.

as for creatine, disregard all the rumors you heard from your friends..it wont do much for you. you will gain a pound of two in water weight but it wont be anything noticeable. and there are no health risks because there is plenty of creatine in meat, especially in red meat. creatine will simply hydrate your muscles, so drink a lot of water when you take it. i look at creatine as oil for your muscles.

big arms don't come overnight. and creatine definitely will not speed up the process.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 04:55 PM   #4
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Creatine is great, I put on size very quickly but as others have said, most of it is water. Your muscles feel more full and I feel they look more "puffy" than "ripped" for me. I think Creatine is great, the only reason I don't use it is because it gives me really bad diarrhoea constantly to the point where I can't complete my workout If it works for you I'd use it so you can build more strength up in the areas you want.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 05:03 PM   #5
shuarma
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
I don't use it is because it gives me really bad diarrhoea
because you're not drinking enough water.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 05:22 PM   #6
Enjoiyourlife
Sensei
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

You don't need creatine. Creatine helps gain mass, yes. But it also creates a large amount of water retention. If anything, I would say use creatine but don't expect it to make a huge difference in size.

You need to increase your calorie count to gain size. Caloric intake is the main ingredient, especially for hard gainers. Clean calories are the best way to go.

At least 1g of protein per lb of body weight. I'd take a multi protein blend in the morning mixed with frozen fruit and milk and peanut butter to add a quick 400-500 calorie breakfast. A whey or isolate post workout. And a Casein protein before bed.

2.5-3g carbohydrates per pound of body weight. You can add 100-150g daily if you're still not gaining. Try and stick to complex carbohydrates like oatmeal or green veggies like brocolli and spinach.

Also, if you're trying to gain muscle, I'd stay away from too much cardio for now.

PM me and I can send you a sample diet plan that I made for some of my clients. Good luck.
      03-26-2010, 05:59 PM   #7
jimmyeatsworld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 6MT

I've used creatine and I think it's great.

To give an example, normally my chest would be shot after 12 sets. On creatine I could pump out 17 sets and still be strong.

Having said this I think it adds size albeit water weight but due to the increase in strength and stamina it results in bigger net gains after water loss.

There are a lot of studies out there.

My RPI GT Race Dyno vs. Stock: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239228
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 09:11 PM   #8
Aija
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335Coupe 6-Speed!

Im a hard gainer like you...When i entered college i was 124lbs 6'1 (back 6years ago)....

Eventually, without working out and just eating alot for the first three years i got my weight up to 160..

Then i started working out two years ago (at 160lbs) and went up to 186lbs.. I was stuck at this weight for some time and decided to do the creatine cycle...

My first creatine cycle i didnt notice any difference....i even "stacked" the creatine (increasing intake by the day) and still didnt notice anything.

Then i started my second cycle 3months later and did tons of research on how to take it, when to take it, etc. My weight jumped from 189lbs to close to 200. Now this was all water weight of course (cause my weight went back down after i stopped the cycle) but it did increase my lifts.

My advice to you is do your research... I found that taking creatine first thing in the morning (without coffee, food, etc) mixed with Dextrose Sugar (to raise insulin levels) to be the most effective for me. I was reading somewhere that if the creatine doesnt go through your body within the first 20-30mins, its garbage.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 09:21 PM   #9
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuarma View Post
because you're not drinking enough water.
No, it was because I was drinking too much water
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 09:26 PM   #10
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Hardgainer = you need to eat more ... I say that from experience.

I cycle on and off of creatine (most say this isn't needed, but I like to cycle all supplements). I have seen some good strength gains from supplementing creatine (along with eating a caloric surplus while bulking which had the greatest gains). I drink at least a gallon of water per day, and I really have no water weight retention when taking creatine or weight loss when I cycle off of it, but I usually don't take straight creatine mono though (I usually switch between universal storm and controlled labs green mag). Whoever said that creatine just causes your body to retain more water doesn't understand the science behind supplementing with creatine, and without getting into it you can look at it as your muscles require energy (ATP) to perform muscle contractions and creatine allows you to top off your ATP reserves. Also, of all the supplements on the market its the only one with real science behind it provind its effectiveness.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 09:51 PM   #11
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

I was 5'8 120 when I started working out. Brought it to ~145 and hit a dead wall. Took tons of whey, ate like a SOB, worked out like a SOB, nothing helped.

Finally I just switched gyms. Came up with a completely new routine and alternated through everything because the place was huge. Shot up to 170 on lifting and whey alone.

Get a new routine.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 01:05 PM   #12
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

I started taking creatine about 2 months ago and have loved it. I'm also a hard gainer and after getting very lean (160 lbs on my 6'0" frame) I wanted to bulk back up. It was VERY difficuly to get back to the 168lb mark, which is where I started creatine. I at first used a monohydrate (powder, most common form) and had a bit of bloating and upset stomach. I since switched to a PH-filtered creatine called Kre-Alkalyn, which uses less creatine but absorbs more into the system to the the PH-buffering.

I started a thread on it here: http://e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357697

I've since put on more weight (currently at 177 lbs) and my muscles have become like rocks. It's helped a bit size-wise but I think it's biggest benefit is how it helps me push out the last reps in any workout, or have the energy to kick out one more set when my body is exhausted. Truly it helps me push through the weight when my body otherwise wouldn't be able to.

Last edited by Spec 1; 03-29-2010 at 01:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 06:44 AM   #13
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe (6-speed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBMW View Post
Hardgainer = you need to eat more ... I say that from experience.

I cycle on and off of creatine (most say this isn't needed, but I like to cycle all supplements). I have seen some good strength gains from supplementing creatine (along with eating a caloric surplus while bulking which had the greatest gains). I drink at least a gallon of water per day, and I really have no water weight retention when taking creatine or weight loss when I cycle off of it, but I usually don't take straight creatine mono though (I usually switch between universal storm and controlled labs green mag). Whoever said that creatine just causes your body to retain more water doesn't understand the science behind supplementing with creatine, and without getting into it you can look at it as your muscles require energy (ATP) to perform muscle contractions and creatine allows you to top off your ATP reserves. Also, of all the supplements on the market its the only one with real science behind it provind its effectiveness.
Yeah, some people tend to overlook all the different variations of creatine. I've tried creatine mono (Optimum Nutrition), and I'm currently on my 2nd cycle of Controlled Labs 'Green Magnitude'. Green Mag has been great so far, it helps in all aspects of my training, and I haven't had any of the "side effects" people assume creatine has.

I'm not trying to become a bodybuilder, but it's a great supplement to help you pack on lean mass, and get over any plateaus in your routine.

04-15-2010, 09:15 AM   #14
Thisisdudewhoru
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM 340i

I've been taking the Kre-alkylyn which is supposed to be better than the monohydrate as it's supposed to absorb almost doubly as well into your body. It gives me no cramps that reg creatine gives me. I've gained 10lbs. I also take jack3d preworkout. I drink almost a gallon of water a day and I drink 1 70g protein shake a day but I have a high protein diet and carb rich diet as is.
      04-15-2010, 09:30 AM   #15
fnckr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyeatsworld View Post
I've used creatine and I think it's great.

To give an example, normally my chest would be shot after 12 sets. On creatine I could pump out 17 sets and still be strong.

Having said this I think it adds size albeit water weight but due to the increase in strength and stamina it results in bigger net gains after water loss.

There are a lot of studies out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aija View Post
My first creatine cycle i didnt notice any difference....i even "stacked" the creatine (increasing intake by the day) and still didnt notice anything.

Then i started my second cycle 3months later and did tons of research on how to take it, when to take it, etc. My weight jumped from 189lbs to close to 200. Now this was all water weight of course (cause my weight went back down after i stopped the cycle) but it did increase my lifts.
That was my experience as well. However, I have a warning. I cycled creatine from 1996 to 1999, when it was just becoming mainstream. In 1999 I had a kidney stone. I was only 21. In 2000 I had another kidney stone at only 22. I'm now 34 and haven't had another.

Creatine may have changed since then, but I won't try it. Now I just use diet and cross training. If you really want to get solid and healthy check out crossfit.com. Oh, and by solid, I don't mean size. I mean that all those little supporting muscles are strong as well and you have an overall thickness instead of just a few key bulges. I don't compare to any of the gals/guys on that site, but I aspire to.
      04-15-2010, 09:33 AM   #16
fnckr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
I was 5'8 120 when I started working out. Brought it to ~145 and hit a dead wall. Took tons of whey, ate like a SOB, worked out like a SOB, nothing helped.

Finally I just switched gyms. Came up with a completely new routine and alternated through everything because the place was huge. Shot up to 170 on lifting and whey alone.

Get a new routine.
That's the truth. Shock the body!! That's the only way it knows to grow and adapt. Muscle gain is due to your body adapting to its new activity.
      04-15-2010, 09:37 AM   #17
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Creatine just fills your muscles with water. I've been using volumaize by bsn and what this does is expand your blood vessels so you look bigger. The better flow helps with pumps and I tend to get a better work out in. Take this with some multi vitamins and a weight gainer and I'm sure you see some results. The multi vitamins help breakdown and rebuild tissue. I'm a "hardgainer" as well. I was on a 5000 cal diet at one point and it didn't do shit except make me shit. I've gained like 10 pounds from using this combo. 155 when I started and I'm between 165 and 170 now.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 10:20 AM   #18
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Creatine helped me put on mass when I started lifting. I started after graduating high school and found myself to get tired real quick. Started taking Cell-Tech (not the best I know now but it did it's job) and I noticed more energy in the gym and a quicker muscle recovery. I put on 40 lbs of muscle over the summer (145lbs - 185 lbs). It was mostly not water weight due to my running 3-5 miles a day getting ready for a competitive soccer program as well.

I have not taken it since and am currently sitting at 205 lbs from just eating and some whey. I was thinking of doing it again for a rotation because I had no side effects, no after effects and it helped me breach the plateau when I tried it before!
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 11:13 AM   #19
mycoupe
Banned
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedCosta View Post
i dont know if im right but when i always heard about creatine i didnt always hear good things. it just puts water in your body and most of the creatine your drink you piss out anyway
EXACTLY! It's a waste of money. Most protein powders will have some creatine in them anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 12:21 PM   #20
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSteak View Post
Yeah, some people tend to overlook all the different variations of creatine. I've tried creatine mono (Optimum Nutrition), and I'm currently on my 2nd cycle of Controlled Labs 'Green Magnitude'. Green Mag has been great so far, it helps in all aspects of my training, and I haven't had any of the "side effects" people assume creatine has.

I'm not trying to become a bodybuilder, but it's a great supplement to help you pack on lean mass, and get over any plateaus in your routine.

I like GM too. I just wish it was intra-workout like Size-On.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycoupe View Post
EXACTLY! It's a waste of money. Most protein powders will have some creatine in them anyway.
It's not a waste of money, nor is it in "most" protein powders.

Considering it helps you break a plateau and helps you step up on the amount of weight you can lift, it's not a waste at all.

I use to think so too. It took 3 years for me to even consider using creatine. After doing some research I decided to give it a shot. I don't use it very often, but I do on occassion. And I've never gotten that "bloated" look, nor has very much of what size I did gain go away. I think that mostly occurs with mono and also if people use more than 5mg/day.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 12:43 PM   #21
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

SUS500, best shit ive ever taken...its not creatine but it is legal(missing one component to make it illegal), but once in your body it makes the last component that makes it illegal and boom...no water weight, you gain pure muscle and dont lose it, but you dont blow up like real roids
      04-15-2010, 06:13 PM   #22
Thisisdudewhoru
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM 340i

You guys do know that your body is composed of 55% to 78% water depending on body size...Creatine doesn't just make you look bigger, you do gain strength with it or at least in my experience.